2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Driving a dumpster
By shastanova on 07/31/11 10:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the way this car drives but its a piece of junk. Interior must be made from recycled bottles cause everything breaks. Armrest, glove box, cigarette tray, overhead light switch, control for sideview mirrors, window motor, headliner, doorliner, speakers and more. Outside falls apart also, side markers have water in them. headlights are foggy. paint job is crap. Grille vents fall out. Antennae rusted and fell apart. Engine is only good thing. Everything else sucks. Had to put in new turbo$2500, 2 timing belts $1450, fix A/C $750, Pvc valve and intake $700, Glow plug relay $300, Window motor& regulator $750. Drive it of a cliff before you spend all this money. all this before 130,000

Poor quality
By James on 07/22/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this 2001 Jetta in 2004. Very loud, poor power. Hard to start until I cleaned out a part of an emission(eat your own exhaust) part. Just to get to the alternator is over $200 in labor, and labor to replace the alternator belt is $107, very hard to get to. IF this car would not break down so much, it would be good, 45-55MPG. I thought I would save a lot of money with this good gas mileage, but how much gas can you buy with a $1200 repair bill? I have not saved any money, and it is not dependable, I do not trust this car enough to drive it cross country.

TDI Power
By TDI13 on 05/05/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased this car last year from the orginal owner with just over 100,000 miles on it. I have put 35,000 trouble free miles on it in the past year and I love it... Great power, reliability and can't forget fuel economy. At an aveage of 50 mpg it pays for itself. I have had no problems to speak of, and have only needed regular maintenance and had to replace the brake light switch, (common problem), and was a cheap fix.

won't buy another!
By setaglm on 12/27/07 17:38 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

a.m. radio went out at about 45k $600 dealer quote to replace. the transmission literally fell out before 25k. the passanger side mirror defrost has never worked though i have had it replaced a couple of times. the sunroof drain clogs periodically and starts dripping into the car via the interior lights. a can open is required for anyone over 5' to get in and out of the back seat. interior coating peels constantly. armrest storage latch snaps off randomly (4 times) the front bumper catches or snags on parking curbs and rips. diesal fuel has remained much higher than premium unleaded defeating the noise for mileage trade. v.w. floor mats replaced a number of times only to fall apart quickly.

Love my TDI
By Diesel Fitter on 10/17/07 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned my TDI since July of 2000. It was purchased specifically for the gas mileage and I have not been disappointed. We have a condo in St. Augustine, FL and I made it there from my house in southern NJ on a tank and a half of fuel ... 52 MPG. I never get less than 42 MPG with this car. Only problems with this car have been the front windows suddenly falling into the door (recall), a mass air sensor going (recall), and this car eats brake light bulbs. Unlike a lot of the reviews I think the front cup holders are great and was disappointed that the new Jetta deleted them along with the adjustable armrest. Looking forward to buying a new Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Good When It Works, Which is 10% of the Time
By ME on 03/13/07 17:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is great when it works. It has good handling, and a nice feel, but it is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned. I have spent more money in one year on repairs than all the other cars I have owned put together. I will never buy another and am trying to get rid of it. So don't ever buy a VW! Most people I have talked to have similar experiences.

Fun, Comfortable, and Economical
By chris on 01/24/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 145,000 miles on the car and have had to spend a fair amount of money on service. I've replaced the glow plugs and had the intake manifold cleaned when it plugged with carbon. I've also replaced the airflow sensor twice. So it hasn't been trouble-free, but it's within acceptable limits. The cost of ownership is about what you would have with a trouble free car getting about 35 mpg, but I'd still buy it again. I love the way it drives and the torque of the TDI engine. It sure doesn't drive like a 44-49 mpg car! It pulls like a big V6 up to about 3,000 rpm. It is great for a sole commuter or a traveling couple.

Great Car!
By Jeff on 10/13/06 07:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a great car. I have over 180,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. I can't believe the gas mileage - 45 MPG and I don't have a light foot. This car is fun to drive it handles well. The only thing that I have done to it is put diesel in and change the oil. I love the torque curve you get with a diesel plenty of power especially on hills. The 5-speed is all so great!

Keep on Rollin' On...
By Jay on 04/28/06 13:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

When gas went up to $1.75 a gallon in July '01, I purchased the Jetta GLS TDI. I got great gas milage right off the lot. I averaged in the first two years 32,000 miles. After five and a half years, I have over 129,000 miles. Over the lifespan I have averaged 49 - 52 mpg. If the maintenance is kept up and it is driven as any diesel should, long trips, you shouldn't have too many issues.

TDI was the Best Decision
By knophop on 04/08/06 12:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We had been looking at Jettas and were trying to decide between the 1.8L Turbo charged gasoline engine and the 1.9L Turbodiesel. The TDI was a much better choice, especially since the engine has proved to be much more reliable than the 1.8L turbo. There is plenty of torque, and the car feels like it has a significantly larger engine. The ride quality is excellent for a car of this size. The fuel economy is also excellent. I prefer the exterior styling to that of the new 2006 Jetta, but that is simply a matter of personal taste. If you are thinking of buying a Volkswagen, ALWAYS consider a turbodiesel. They are by far the most popular engine elsewhere in the world, and are the most reliable.