Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I also love my car and hate the dealer
By Heidi

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This was the first car I purchased on my own. I did the research and I felt strong negotiating with the dealer. I have been loyal to the dealer, until I found another mechanic who offered a second opinion on a pricey repair. He taught me about how I was getting ripped off. The new mechanic educated me, showing me the parts and how they worked. He treated me like I actually had a brain. The dealer always presents problems - every time I went in for routine maintenance - as if it always was urgent and threatened my safety. I have stopped going to the dealer. Had I been treated as if I had a brain I might still be going there.

Favorite Features

stereo, turbo engine, color (bright blue), body shape (slightly boxy)

Suggested Improvements

Need an extender on the visor when used to block sun on the side. I use a paper folder to extend it on long trips when the driver's seat is back farther than the visor reaches. Also needs more durable rear bumper. Mine is dinged like crazy from city parking, and I've already replaced it once.

136,000 Miles in Under Five Years
By Linda Finch

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI. I've made two trips to Portland, OR, 4,500 miles, and averaged over 51 mpg. I use cruise control and set it at about 65 mph. With effort, I've gotten 44 mpg around town. With a tail wind, I've gotten 55 mpg on selected trips of 600 miles. It's the only car I've ever driven that goes over Raton Pass (CO / NM) with cruise control still working when I get to the top of the mountain.

Favorite Features

I love the great gas mileage, love the handling, and the fact that the seats provide enough support that I'm comfortable after a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

I want a station wagon next so I can put 3 dog crates in it - and still be able to shift gears. I'd also like to move the female end of the front seat belt down if I'm traveling and want to stop for a nap.

TDI rules
By turbobee

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the performance of my Jetta GL TDI now that the MAF has been replaced. I zoom all over town and down the freeway.

Favorite Features

The turbo injection...vrooooom!

Suggested Improvements

The only bad thing about the car is the interior. The German's skimped on the carpeting and seat materials; easily frayed. Also the crank wheel for reclining the seat is akward.

Great commuter car
By Phlonet

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In the first year I was driving 120 miles per day and was getting between 50-55 mpg. My commute lessened considerably, and now I'm only getting mid 40s, though on longer trips its back up around 50. While the TDI doesn't have quite as much pep as a 1.8T or a V6, its still sportier than many other "economy" commuter vehicles. Takes a little bit longer to start when its below zero, but have never had it fail to start. Only one mechanical issue related the glowplugs that was misdiagnosed at first, but then fixed properly on a subsequent visit. I wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone who has to drive any sort of distance.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, simple interior features, solid road handling, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders in the front sit in front of the radio when you have a CD player installed. The rear cupholders aren't deep enough to be useful.

Great mileage with no problems
By Buesi

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It gets phenomenal mileage (it is a diesel) at 50-60 mpg depending on driving conditions, a/c useage, etc. It handles well, it is quiet (you can only slightly hear the diesel engine at idle), has awesome storage capacity with the backseat folded down and has a great sound system. 40,500 miles so far and not 1 problem

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage! Also, can haul a suprising amount of stuff when the backseat is folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a bit wobbly with heavy drinks in them.