2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GL TDI Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I also love my car and hate the dealer
By Heidi on 09/21/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This was the first car I purchased on my own. I did the research and I felt strong negotiating with the dealer. I have been loyal to the dealer, until I found another mechanic who offered a second opinion on a pricey repair. He taught me about how I was getting ripped off. The new mechanic educated me, showing me the parts and how they worked. He treated me like I actually had a brain. The dealer always presents problems - every time I went in for routine maintenance - as if it always was urgent and threatened my safety. I have stopped going to the dealer. Had I been treated as if I had a brain I might still be going there.

136,000 Miles in Under Five Years
By Linda Finch on 01/05/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love my Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI. I've made two trips to Portland, OR, 4,500 miles, and averaged over 51 mpg. I use cruise control and set it at about 65 mph. With effort, I've gotten 44 mpg around town. With a tail wind, I've gotten 55 mpg on selected trips of 600 miles. It's the only car I've ever driven that goes over Raton Pass (CO / NM) with cruise control still working when I get to the top of the mountain.

TDI rules
By turbobee on 08/10/05 23:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the performance of my Jetta GL TDI now that the MAF has been replaced. I zoom all over town and down the freeway.

Great commuter car
By Phlonet on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In the first year I was driving 120 miles per day and was getting between 50-55 mpg. My commute lessened considerably, and now I'm only getting mid 40s, though on longer trips its back up around 50. While the TDI doesn't have quite as much pep as a 1.8T or a V6, its still sportier than many other "economy" commuter vehicles. Takes a little bit longer to start when its below zero, but have never had it fail to start. Only one mechanical issue related the glowplugs that was misdiagnosed at first, but then fixed properly on a subsequent visit. I wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone who has to drive any sort of distance.

Great mileage with no problems
By Buesi on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is awesome. It gets phenomenal mileage (it is a diesel) at 50-60 mpg depending on driving conditions, a/c useage, etc. It handles well, it is quiet (you can only slightly hear the diesel engine at idle), has awesome storage capacity with the backseat folded down and has a great sound system. 40,500 miles so far and not 1 problem

Great Car!
By TDILOVER on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has not been in the shop for anything except for the regular maintenance intervals. I bought the car because I drive about 50,000 miles per year and wanted the good gas mileage/longevity that a diesel provides.