Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Driving a dumpster
By shastanova

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love the way this car drives but its a piece of junk. Interior must be made from recycled bottles cause everything breaks. Armrest, glove box, cigarette tray, overhead light switch, control for sideview mirrors, window motor, headliner, doorliner, speakers and more. Outside falls apart also, side markers have water in them. headlights are foggy. paint job is crap. Grille vents fall out. Antennae rusted and fell apart. Engine is only good thing. Everything else sucks. Had to put in new turbo$2500, 2 timing belts $1450, fix A/C $750, Pvc valve and intake $700, Glow plug relay $300, Window motor& regulator $750. Drive it of a cliff before you spend all this money. all this before 130,000

gas mileage

everything except motor

Poor quality
By James

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this 2001 Jetta in 2004. Very loud, poor power. Hard to start until I cleaned out a part of an emission(eat your own exhaust) part. Just to get to the alternator is over $200 in labor, and labor to replace the alternator belt is $107, very hard to get to. IF this car would not break down so much, it would be good, 45-55MPG. I thought I would save a lot of money with this good gas mileage, but how much gas can you buy with a $1200 repair bill? I have not saved any money, and it is not dependable, I do not trust this car enough to drive it cross country.

Display is nice.

Put a Honda engine in it.

TDI Power
By TDI13

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased this car last year from the orginal owner with just over 100,000 miles on it. I have put 35,000 trouble free miles on it in the past year and I love it... Great power, reliability and can't forget fuel economy. At an aveage of 50 mpg it pays for itself. I have had no problems to speak of, and have only needed regular maintenance and had to replace the brake light switch, (common problem), and was a cheap fix.

TDI engine, interior comfort and fuel economy.

None

I also love my car and hate the dealer
By Heidi

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This was the first car I purchased on my own. I did the research and I felt strong negotiating with the dealer. I have been loyal to the dealer, until I found another mechanic who offered a second opinion on a pricey repair. He taught me about how I was getting ripped off. The new mechanic educated me, showing me the parts and how they worked. He treated me like I actually had a brain. The dealer always presents problems - every time I went in for routine maintenance - as if it always was urgent and threatened my safety. I have stopped going to the dealer. Had I been treated as if I had a brain I might still be going there.

stereo, turbo engine, color (bright blue), body shape (slightly boxy)

Need an extender on the visor when used to block sun on the side. I use a paper folder to extend it on long trips when the driver's seat is back farther than the visor reaches. Also needs more durable rear bumper. Mine is dinged like crazy from city parking, and I've already replaced it once.

won't buy another!
By setaglm

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

a.m. radio went out at about 45k $600 dealer quote to replace. the transmission literally fell out before 25k. the passanger side mirror defrost has never worked though i have had it replaced a couple of times. the sunroof drain clogs periodically and starts dripping into the car via the interior lights. a can open is required for anyone over 5' to get in and out of the back seat. interior coating peels constantly. armrest storage latch snaps off randomly (4 times) the front bumper catches or snags on parking curbs and rips. diesal fuel has remained much higher than premium unleaded defeating the noise for mileage trade. v.w. floor mats replaced a number of times only to fall apart quickly.

heated seats, blue dash lights.

fix the front bumper issue. significantly improve interior quality from handles, mats, latches etc. move cup holder which is flimsy and blocks console visibilty. fix flawed heated mirror. improve rear seat comfort.