Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

i love my wolfsburg 1.8t jetta
By terry

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i got the car on a trade with my explorer. with a slight exhaust leak the car still pick up and go's pretty good I have only got it up to 120 but then I had to slow down. it handles the turns like it is on rails. I have only had it about 2 weeks now but on the high way I smoked a Honda civic with some mods like it was standing still

Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89
for over heating once,
the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it
has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Most favorite feature was the power moon/sun roof. The audio system in the car isn't superior but I say par to slightly under par but the controls are easy to use and the bass isn't muddy or too strong and the adjustment controls for the bass is easy. The rear folding seats are great for adding space, lift seat base and the fold and remove head rest and fold down the rear seat back supports fits flat and snug.

Center console from previous owner is damaged. Not sure why. Wish it has more cup holders in the back and one more power point for the rear seats. The power points are located in the front by the shift lever and one in the trunk.

Lemon
By djjunglejulie

Owning this car was a nightmare! Do not buy unless you are a mechanic who enjoys repairing your car!!

Words that come to mind are:
Lemon
Money pit
ludicrous amounts
of repairs
broken down
overheating
electrical problems
just bad

When it was working, I have to admit that the turbo button makes it a fun car to drive. And the speakers sound good. That being said, I believe the inherent electrical problems in the car are the reason every CD player that was installed ended up dying.

This car is a piece of junk disguised by a cute exterior. Don't be fooled by looks and brand name. Run!!

awesome car
By dbanda51

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Sport seats, turbo, sport suspension (it was fine but i wanted low so i got coilovers), speakers are better then most cars, 5 speed is awesome wish it had 6 speeds though,

get coilovers!, the jetta is way to high!. once lowerd it looks twice as good!, get an APR chip tune it will take you up to 215hp!! get a diff diverter valve to make the turbo sound cool!, and if your rims start to peel get new ones otherwise your good.

Worst Car Ever Owned
By John Doe

The Jetta ia a popular car and I know why. It is fun to drive. Good power. HOWEVER, he car has been in the garage being fixed more than it has been on the road. In two months over $2,000 of repairs and now they say the turbo is going bad - $2,500+ This car is immaculate and a piece of junk. Buyer beware - the turbo generates a lot of heat - causing lots of little problems. The engine will not last.

The day the car is no longer mine. I will wholesale it. Would not sell this car to anyone.

Build a more reliable car.