2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf on 04/04/14 15:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89 for over heating once, the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Lemon
By djjunglejulie on 10/31/13 13:37 PM (PDT)

Owning this car was a nightmare! Do not buy unless you are a mechanic who enjoys repairing your car!! Words that come to mind are: Lemon Money pit ludicrous amounts of repairs repairs repairs repairs broken down overheating electrical problems just bad

awesome car
By dbanda51 on 10/18/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Worst Car Ever Owned
By John Doe on 08/27/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

The Jetta ia a popular car and I know why. It is fun to drive. Good power. HOWEVER, he car has been in the garage being fixed more than it has been on the road. In two months over $2,000 of repairs and now they say the turbo is going bad - $2,500+ This car is immaculate and a piece of junk. Buyer beware - the turbo generates a lot of heat - causing lots of little problems. The engine will not last.

Pretty Neutral.
By onepointeight on 08/02/10 20:23 PM (PDT)

I was in love with VW's, so I bought it. I've had to replace a lot of things, and the check engine light is still on, but it runs and gets me where I need to go. Talk about the soul of a VW! It dies almost every day when I get home from work, but never at a stop sign or light or anything like that, just when its home. Its really fun, but too expensive and has too many little things go wrong with it. Advice to first time buyers : get the timing belt done right away. Don't wait til' it breaks. If there's a check engine light on, don't expect it to be nothing. Get it checked out! These cars are the best around if you have the money and time to maintain them all the time. I'd suggest a Honda!

fun reliable turbo
By artcwike on 01/29/10 16:39 PM (PST)

Bought a manual 2001 Wolfsburg edition in the fall with a ton of miles (130,000). Downsized from a newer jeep liberty for better milage/no payments. The small 1.8 liter engine is amazing on gas, while the turbocharger adds plenty of zip. While driving more conservatively, I went about a month on one tank. But it's hard to resist redlining that turbo from time to time. Reliable so far with the biggest problem being a burnt out turn signal. Miserable driving on snow or ice. Interior smells like crayons (read that its the fire retardent foam under the carpet). Large trunk and plenty of room for carseats. Would recommend

Not exactly "das auto"
By Jonathan Streit on 11/28/09 08:28 AM (PST)

When i first purchased this VW i only had the opportunity to drive it for 3 days until i was showing off the car to a friend when all of the sudden it wouldn't start due to a electrical ground connection. since then i have dumped over 8,500$ into this HOLE. repairs extremely expensive and often. i don't think i have driven for two weeks without the check engine light coming on for some god forsaken reason. If your buying VW think twice and really look at what your purchasing. have the car checked by a CERTIFIED VW mechanic or you WILL REGRET your decision. oh and by the way ever notice that strange... crayola crayon smell emitting from the air vents??. i moved on. you should too.

Love it!
By stephsuej on 02/17/09 22:38 PM (PST)

I bought this car used with 60,000 miles on it. I fell in love with it right away! It drives wonderfully, great sound system, and the previous owners added some upgrades. Unfortunately after putting about 500 miles on it the check engine light came on and it kept popping itself out of gear. I took it to the dealer and found I needed a new transmission. They were completely helpful. They towed the car, diagnosed it, and put in a new tranny all for free. I still love this car, its fun to drive and nice to look at.

VW Jetta - My first and last VW.
By Zack B. on 02/12/09 13:41 PM (PST)

I purchased the vehicle certified used with 30k miles on it. The Galactic Blue Metallic finish was gorgeous. BBS wheels were hot stuff. And then I began driving the vehicle. Plenty of pep and great gas mileage. 3,000 miles later, on the highway at cruise, my clutch plate broke. Destroyed the transmission. That was just the beginning. During the 2.5 years and 50,000 miles I owned the vehicle, I went through three power window switches, two coolant temp sensors, a trunk release, a glove box door, four Mass Air Flow sensors (two directly from the dealer at $500 a piece), a front left wheel bearing, and rear brake caliper hardware. $8,000+ in parts and repairs in 2.5 years. Questions?

Never Again
By Never Again on 01/29/09 11:29 AM (PST)

This is by far the worst car I ever owned. Since I got it, every month I have to take to the mechanic. Too much money invested for nothing. I just trade it in for a Toyota RAV4 which I love. I wouldn't felt comfortable selling it to someone else, even thought many people wanted to buy it. Beware of the Jetta 1.8T.