2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf on 04/04/14 15:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89 for over heating once, the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Great Reliable Car
By herbz on 12/03/13 07:20 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

164,000 miles and running great. Reliable as can be. Good on gas, MPG has dropped slightly as the car aged but still gets 30mpg city easily. Massive trunk for a small car. Other than ground clearance it is a very good winter car. Only issue is an intermittent CEL related to an emissions issue that comes and goes. Dealer says its not worth chasing as the car runs perfect. Definitely will consider another Jetta or VW product.

Lemon! Terrible! Money Pit!
By whitewolf1145 on 11/13/13 00:48 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car breaks down more than any car ive ever even heard of! Something anything breaks at least once a week and being a vw parts cost $1000+ for the simple crap! Bought car 6 months ago at 107,000. It now has 117,000 and after $2000+ in repairs the transmission is going out. The car has ruined my financial life! i owe $4000 still thats twice what i could sell it for if it worked! -__- Very expensive lesson learned! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Lemon
By djjunglejulie on 10/31/13 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Owning this car was a nightmare! Do not buy unless you are a mechanic who enjoys repairing your car!! Words that come to mind are: Lemon Money pit ludicrous amounts of repairs repairs repairs repairs broken down overheating electrical problems just bad

Loved it
By kristikrum on 09/14/13 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sad to say I totalled my wagon last week. This was a very functional and reliable car for me. I haul lots of stuff to work every day, so it was great for the space factor although removing head rests to lay seats flat was a bit cumbersome. I received the car at 70,000 from and rode it to like 117 in 2.5 years. In that time I changed the impeller (seems common) on the coolant system and the front bumper shield thing rides a bit low to the ground so it was dragging and held up by duct tape in its last few months. The brakes were great, and I didn't mind the cup holders either way. This car saved my life in my accident where I hit the cement wall on the freeway, so I'm 4eva grateful.

Can't get a better Drivers' car for the money.
By matthew32 on 02/23/13 02:05 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned this car for about three years. It had 94k mi when I bought it and now has 118k. Have done a lot of repairs, but not any more than for the multitude of 100+ k mi vehicles I have owned in the past. The car came with service records and is in excellent condition for the age and mileage. I have done brakes, alternator, clutch, suspension, front susp bushings and ball joints. Unexpected repairs were: Fan Control Module, PS Pressure hose, timing chain. The TC broke at 117K, causing damage to 5 valves and an injector. Cost of repairs were around $4500, but still worth it considering that I have a 12 yr old car with 118k mi that looks, runs and drives like a new car.

awesome car
By dbanda51 on 10/18/12 20:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Satisfied and Secure Jetta Owner
By nywvblue on 08/15/12 11:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car from its original owner, a retired couple, with 75,000 miles on it and at 6 years old. It had some strange wear in the interior (the arm rests on the doors in the front were half peeled away), but otherwise it was in perfect condition. It lived with me in NYC for the next 2+ years and, aside from a nagging CEL situation due to the MAF sensor failing every 8 months or so as well the mechanism in one side window suddenly failing, it has been a super, reliable car.

165,000 miles strong
By pendii on 07/21/12 07:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I got this car certified used in 2005. It had 60,000 miles on it at the time and was still in great shape. It's been 7 years and we've put an additional 100,000 miles on it. It's still going strong! It's a very comfortable car and very fun to drive. Sunroof and heated seats are great. The only thing you have to know before you buy a VW is they are more expensive to repair and maintain because they require special tools. Some mechanics have even refused to work on my car, saying they don't do VWs. The car is showing it's age a bit now. It does eat oil in its latter years. As long as we keep oil full, the engine's still great.

Not really worth it.
By bj789 on 07/16/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years. It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence. Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up. Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars). While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge. There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick. But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.