Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Please stay away, please, you won't even able to sell it
By jzmsewa

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a car from a dealer, with very clean carfax,140k miles, nice looking. However, the radiator start leaking within 30 days, so dealer covered it. After that,3 light bulb gone in 2 weeks, and 1 starter, 1 ignition coil gone. I am a student working as a food delivery man part time. The car make me quit the job 2 times because it stopped on street, or start shaking badly for the ignition coil. The the driver's side door close sensor gone, make my car anti-thief working at night in garage and drain my battery, and at the same time, the warning ding will keep honing until 2 mins you start the car( the sensor thought you drive with door open).Then the glove box and the trunk release

The paint is better than Honda's. I want to get a nice looking car to get a girlfriend, so I buy this and bankrupt myself. But I get my girlfriend as well.

Stay away Mexico VWs,for all the bettles, jetta, Passat, my cousin get a new 2007 Passat in FL and you know what, the AC compressor never works. I thought it was the weather is too harsh, but no, it is the car is too crap. and now their key fob won't work. Their car won't sell at good price now so they could only keep it. And I won't take it either.

Never ever!
By katysue81

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car just a few months ago. Ever since I got it, I have had nothing but problems. No skid plate anymore, 3 bent rims, it doesn't take potholes and dips too well. A newer clutch, the throw out bearing is already going out. It needs engine mounts, no matter which way you push your window button, it will go the way it wants to. In less than 3 months I have already had to replace alternator, serpentine belt (twice) battery, brakes and roders, 02 sensor. There is a short somewhere in the car. My lights will randomly flick on and off just driving down the road. It's fun to drive, and speedy. But unless you have a couple thousand saved up in the bank for repairs, don't get this.

Sound system, heated seats, acceleration

Anything electrical. Durability. Reliability.

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side Love it and hated it at the same time

5 speed Dash lights

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

Highly Recomended
By dmo1860

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is outstanding. I have 250,000 miles on her and she still drives like she has 80,000. She has the 2.0L and is extremely reliable. The engine is paired with the 5 speed manual gearbox and is an absolute joy. I have no doubt that this car will make it another 250,000 miles! And it has been a hard 200K miles on it too (driven by a teenage boy.) If one is for sale and its in good condition, I highly recoment getting it. Wether it's for a first car, or a car for your kid. if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. It is the most solid car I've ever driven and I hope I'll Never have to get rid of it.

Moon Roof 5 Speed Blue Gauge lights the look Reliability Handling

The bumper under the headlights sags after a while

Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89 for over heating once, the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Most favorite feature was the power moon/sun roof. The audio system in the car isn't superior but I say par to slightly under par but the controls are easy to use and the bass isn't muddy or too strong and the adjustment controls for the bass is easy. The rear folding seats are great for adding space, lift seat base and the fold and remove head rest and fold down the rear seat back supports fits flat and snug.

Center console from previous owner is damaged. Not sure why. Wish it has more cup holders in the back and one more power point for the rear seats. The power points are located in the front by the shift lever and one in the trunk.