What a POS
By kandyd on
2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan
I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!
Favorite Features
I am a 5 ft tall lady and the car fit me well for my size, and had no blind spots. The V6 has nice pick up power. The leather seats and warmers were nice options with the GLX model, but all the extra power features are only a headache when you have to fix them when they break.
By wlockhart
on 08/25/13 23:50 PM (PDT)

I have a 2000 glx vr6 that I bought with 104k on it, now it has 452k, and the only problem I ever had was an abs wheel speed sensor. That being said I have fixed all the issues you have had for a friend over the life time of his car. I'm here to tell you that you 100% got ripped off by that dealership. Yea maybe I'm lucky and haven't had problems like that from mine but eventually I will. And I will fix them. The door lock actuator? $400 from the dealership, I installed it. An O2 sensor for $890? You didn't question something so common? They're $45-$70, maybe $200 if it's the heated one in the cat. EPC light is 99% of the time the immobilizer not reading the chip in the key. VWOA will cut and program new keys and ship them to you after you supply your VIN number, for about $130 each. Don't blame the car because you got ripped. And you paid over $500 for a belt and tensioner? Really? Both items are less than $100 together. 10 minutes to change. I'm sorry, maybe you should either ditch the dealership and find a good mechanic, or learn to do things for yourself. Either way it isn't the car's fault. It's 13 years old and for all you know could have had the snot beaten out of it before you bought it. Even if you bought it new, I personally have seen fellow salesmen beat brand new cars to within an inch of their lives, to have them come back a week later needing an engine or transmission because the salesman can't drive a manual.