2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Well done my good and faithful

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Well done my good and faithful servant...well done
By rilezz13 on

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a real champ. I bought my silver Jetta back when I was a teenager (I'm in my 20s now). Mine had the little 2.0 4-cylinder engine with the 5-speed stick. The engine only made a 115 hp but its favorite speed on the highway was 80 mph...it cruised there quietly and effortlessly. The reliability was nothing short of wonderful. I felt like I could utterly thrash the engine and it would (and was) just fine with that. The doors shut with a nice muted "thunk" and the whole car felt like it was as tough as a mini panzer. I sold it with over 120,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2002 Passat (also a great choice).

The switchblade remote key (impressed EVERYONE), the solidity of the vehicle, the reliability, the simplicity of the engine, attention to detail, driving dynamics, the awesome interior nighttime lighting (sophisticated), the CD changer, and the way the trunk opens.

I didn't like that the VERY durable engine could be destroyed as the result of the timing belt snapping. However, VW took care of this by replacing the timing belt with a timing chain in 2005.