2000 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Last VW That I'll Buy

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS TDi Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual)

Last VW That I'll Buy
By cardoe on

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

This is my third VW. I've had one A3 and two A4 bodies. Both A4's have been TDIs. This one was bought 'certified' but I noticed the cruise control light indicator didn't work and headlight was out. The past two years have been okay. It had only only one engine hiccup - the master flow air had something wrong and the car wouldn't start. The dealer fixed it, no problem. However, I've had recent problems with thedealer (routine maintenance checkup rendered the brakes in operable - twice) and electrical issues with driver door abound! I can't get the alarm to disarm after unlocking door. So when I start car after opening door alarm goes off and then have to get out lock door and unlock it - sometimes I have to do this four times. The passenger door lock does not release, I have to manually open it.

Favorite Features

I love the good fuel economy (but only when on highway and long distances). The around town fuel mileage isn't much better than a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Thie car needs better interior durability. Several breaks and seams giving out. The mirror control knob, drink holders (all 4), glove box, all broke under normal wear and tear. Also, it needs better electronics. The door locks and alarms are unreliable.