2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: I had high hopes, but...

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

I had high hopes, but...
By Lauren on

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

The 2000 VW Jetta is a nice looking car, fun to drive, gets pretty good mpg BUT do not buy this car if you don't want lots of repairs, very, very frequent and expensive repairs. The timing belt went at about 83,000 and I had to get the entire engine remanufactured. I've also had to replace the alternator, the battery twice and some other usual wear and tear pieces. Also, the front bumper is way too low and it gets ripped off easily. The problem is that VW designed the car to be repairable only at the dealership, therefor, more expensive. All in all, I like the car, maybe the newer models are better, but I do not recommend buying this car, at least not from this year.

I really like the interior design, nice moonroof, great soundsystem, comfortable seating. Front and rear cupholders are nice.

I would suggest mostly mechanical and design improvements. I think the new models satisfy the design flaws, I don't about the cheap parts they use though.