Eco-Turbo-Fun
By turbopwr on
2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan
"one year pre-owned". Good mileage and a better price than new. The economy and fun-factor are very high! My two main concerns are the seat is too short- (seats could also use better lumbar and side bolster support), and the service cost. The service cost is TOO EXPENSIVE. I found a good german-auto mechanic to change the timing belt at 50,000 miles after two dealers told me it would be 500+ for the work. It still cost me 300+. The MAS just went bad at 75000. The part was 300+. Incredible!! If this keeps up, my savings on driving expenses will be quickly overcome by service costs. Overall, a good choice after one year of ownership.
Favorite Features
Turbocharger, manual trans, fuel economy, power equipment (even got a "nice car" comment from a Porsche driver. Cool!) Cranking the windows up and down with the key, from outside.
Suggested Improvements
More supportive seats for taller drivers, fog lights for all models (I drive in deer country), longer sun visors or extendable inserts. Sunrises and sunsets in the driver's window are always just past the end of the visor.