2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So much pain in my rear!
By Michael Mann on 07/09/06 15:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

By now we all know that VW has built a car with massive electrical system problems. What I want everybody to know is that when you take this car to service they will try to stick all the expenses on you. For example: two days ago my ABS warning light went on. I have read that this is a common problem with this car. I called the dealer, scheduled service, drove to work, and couldn't get the gear off from park. I Had to tow the car to service. But I was armed with a recall note for the brake switch that seems to be faulty on this model. I found it from this website! But since mine was purchased in '99 (it's a 2000 model) the dealer claimed I'm not covered. We did a little dance (me yelling) and all of a sudden it was covered!

Love VW but it is not Reliable
By Paul on 05/22/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car was great until it hit 60,000 miles. The O2 sensor, vaccuum hose, turbo valve, strut mounts (poor design as they always break) all needed replacement and the check engine light is still on! We also replaced the window regulators but VW was nice enough to offer a good faith warranty. The locks don't always work on every door and the temp gauge works when it wants to. Overall this car is a headache but I love driving it when it works. The engine is awesome... too bad the quality of the car stinks and it is not reliable! I am not sure if I would buy a VW again.

Fly Jetta
By George Spicer on 04/05/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 VW Jetta and the performce is good, but the motor can put out so much more power. How do i know? I have a stg-3 turbo kit in mine, and I'm puting down about 260 hp the ground with the factory engine.

M's Review
By M on 03/06/06 17:58 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car could have been great. Its engine is fantastic. However, I have had many random parts failures (catalytic converter after 50K miles, complete power steering replacement at only 70K) resulting in thousands of dollars of repair. Overall, could have been better quality for the premium price paid.

The Best VW made!
By pjrias on 03/02/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The VW Jetta is a great car! I am the original owner and have 158,000 miles on my car. The engine is unbelievable. I average 31 mpg on the highway. My car has its original clutch! It just keeps on ticking, like a Timex! The only major problem was a tensioner on the timing chain had to be replaced at 80,000 miles! I have had only had two tune-ups! The leather seats still look brand new!

It's not you, it's me...
By Sissie99 on 01/30/06 23:37 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Dear Jetta- It's not you it's me. I think we need to go our separate ways. I'll have fond thoughts of you and the places that we have been, but then I will remember all the pain you caused me and the burning sensation on my credit card. I can't handle the trips to the shop, the dirty looks from the service people, the days of missed work because you broke down and despite what my Dad says, he does not like working on you. I have had every problem under the sun with you except the burning oil thing. Thank God for small favors. I'm sorry your window broke and that your thermostat doesn't work and that you have a leaky cooling system. I hope you find a good home when I trade you in or sell you. Love- Me

Jetta VR6, the Wrong Purchase
By Natalia Samoilovich on 12/24/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta becasue I thought it would be fun to drive and extremely reliable. Boy was I wrong! Fun to drive it was, but terribly unreliable. Within one month of purchasing the Jetta, it was in the shop for electrical problems for the next 5.5 years. This car was in the shop every 3-4 months for 5.5 years. Once the warranty ran out, ouch, is all I have to say. For the dealership just to look at the car cost $94, and usually the repairs were never less than $300 at a time. The transmission had problems twice after 5 years of ownership. If you buy this vehicle, please be prepared to have a large headache. I would not recommended it to even my worst enemy. This car was a curse.

Lemon Wagon
By paulfry on 12/23/05 09:28 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Run away from VW unless you want to pay BMW prices to repair a glorified Kia. The thing is always in the shop and you can only take it to over priced VW dealers which include poor service. For example $300 for a headlight. Buy anything else!

Killing me softly
By lemon on 12/06/05 09:42 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I wish I could love my Jetta, but more than that, I wish it loved me back. Throughout our six year relationship, the poor quality and unreliability of this car has turned me against all VWs. The burning of oil, constant glow of the "check engine" light, broken cup holder, broken glove compartment door, replaced O2 and fuel sensors (more than once), dropped windows, failing electrical system, nonworking locks, molding pollen "filter", and of course, the never ending leak have all made my VW experience unbearable. Not to mention the large number of recalls that have me visiting the less than customer service oriented VW dealers in my area. Save yourself the hassle- avoid the VW Jetta!

Solid Car...Falling Apart
By Robin on 11/28/05 22:15 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

When I first bought my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta I was excited about how well it handled and how solid it felt on the road. That might have a lot to do with the fact that it is so low to the ground, which at times makes it tough to get out of. My biggest concern has been the electrical problems and incidental repairs: the window fell out, the driver's side window motor broke twice, the catalitic converter was recalled, the cup holder broke, the glove box broke, and the trunk light and panel lights are out.