Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

VW losing their touch
By Alexandra

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a jetta. My VR6 has been in my family since it was purchased in 2001 (it's a 2000). I paid my brother 5,000 for the car in 2005 which was a steal (or so I thought). As of now, in 2009, i've spent almost 5,000 fixing it. I'm a regular at the shop. I've replaced, like many other Jetta owners, sensors, breaks (way too often), water pump, clutch, struts, some more sensors... The glove box and cup holder broke within the first two years of use (Can't Germans even engineer a cup holder?). All in all, from sensors to cup holders, it's not much more than faulty junk.

Favorite Features

It's a fast car, when it's not in the shop.

Good Car overall!
By josh

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My car has 110k miles the engines is still strong, when I purchased it had an air intake installed so the gas mileage is not the best. I get about 315 miles per tank. It is fun to drive and lovely in the winter with those heated seat to bad I cant say the same for the summer. If you are looking for a nice (sport) car this is definitely a must. Always use gas with 91 octanes or higher if not you will lose power and also the check engine light will always be on, emission workshop.

Favorite Features

Well with the 174hp stock and the 5 speed gear box you will have lots of fun. I love the way it grips to the asphalt and the sound system is great!

Suggested Improvements

Tooooooo small in the back, no room for a baby car seat[reason why I will have to sell mine:( ]I would love to see it with a 17 or 18 inch wheels from VW.

Too good to trade in
By fs

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Traded in an SUV for this car when it was 3 years old and had about 30,000 miles. After getting over the initial shock of how tiny the vehicle was, almost everything has been positive since. This is the second-best car my family has owned (the first was a '98 Cabrio). We've had GM, Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi, but nothing like the tight handling of the VW. At 135k, still a quiet, smooth ride. We've been through two minivans in the time we've had the Jetta, and it might be time to replace the Jetta next, though it's showing no signs of quitting. Dealt with the CEL for the O2 sensor issue for about 4 years-- but not too much just to ignore. Also had some engine fan issues after 100k.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 moves the car like a sports car; reliable ride and style that has stood the test of time

Suggested Improvements

Everything is small in the vehicle-- some things could be made larger such as the buttons on the instrument panel. I never use the cup holder for its lousy placement.

My Little Jetta
By Vicki C

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Jetta for barely over a year and love it! I enjoy driving my little car, but it's not fun to pay for when something breaks down. My catalytic converter came lose and thankfully I can weld the shield back on, but to get a new one would cost around $800 bucks!! I keep having to get oil leaks fixed, but for 125,000 miles, the car is still in great condition! I haven't had this much fun driving a car in quite a while! Speakers are almost gone as well, but the car had a FULL SIZE tire in the back when one of mine went flat! Perfect!! Also, the brake light wouldn't turn off after the car was off, but if you take it to VW dealership, it's defective and is replaced for free.

Favorite Features

I love the blue lights on the dashboard, the heated seats, and the look of the car

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic converters are bad on Volkswagen, FIX THE DEFECTIVE BRAKE LIGHT!!

I LOVE my Volkswagen
By Jill

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for over 6 years now. At 145,000 miles it is still going strong. It's as much fun to drive as the day I bought it. The only repairs I have had to make were on an oxygen sensor which was covered under warranty and a power steering fluid leak (likely related to an accident). Great gas mileage, fun little car. Also, more space in the back than some of the small SUVs. Also, I can safely say that the safety features are very effective- I've been hit twice - once causing over $4,000 in damage to the car, and never had a scratch on me. Highly recommend the Jetta.

Favorite Features

Love the heated seats, and the cupholders- they are conveniently located and can be folded back into the dash of the car if not being used.

Suggested Improvements

The armrest is sort of small and has some weird action on it. Also, the oil pan is aluminum and if you take it to non-dealer places, mechanics will often over torque the screws on the oil pan, causing you to have to replace the whole thing.