2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Awesome Car
By JERRY on 05/08/07 05:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I loved my Jetta, handled wonderfully, quick acceleration up to third gear. Very comfortable, reliable. Never had a problem, except for cheap watered down gas. Fun to drive. Extremely sturdy. Only reason I don't have it anymore is that an F150 slammed into me. The car was able to get me home, but it was deemed a total loss due to bent frame.

Nice ride :)
By Kathy on 04/24/07 08:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my son who is a VW fanatic - he shows and races them also. This car has all the bells and whistles and is fun to drive with the 5 speed standard transmission. Car handles excellently and has great pick up - I have to keep an eye on the speedometer because it's easy to get a ticket! Get decent gas mileage but have to use the best grade gas. I get 300-350 average miles on a tankful.

A terrible buy
By Dan G on 04/08/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and within the first month I had to replace the mass airflow sensor, later I found out this was the fifth time it has been replaced. Body quality is poor, and engine lacks power. The car is now sitting broken after several thousand dollars of repairs. Do not buy this model Jetta. This was a BAD year.

Keeps Going, and Going, and Going...
By outstanding car on 02/27/07 14:04 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My Jetta has 143,000 miles and it is still in perfect condition. It is a 2.0 with a manual transmission. I have used it mostly for highway driving. I just replaced the water pump (and the thermostat) and timing belt (since it was already off), and recently replaced the catalytic converter. But prior to these repairs the only other repair that I had to make that was not covered by VW was the oxygen sensor and it was cheap ($130). I had all the recommended maintenance done on schedule (belts, plugs and wires, brakes, fluids, etc.) and it paid off! I've spent only $850 in repairs. The rest is maintenance. I just gassed up and I got 35 mpg last tank. Treat your Jetta right and it will treat you right.

The Best Car Ever
By love my jetta on 01/11/07 14:41 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I can't say enough how much I love this car. I bought it used and got a great deal on it. I drive my Jetta about 156 miles per day and I have not had one issue at all. The check engine light came on once but that was my fault because I didn't close the fuel door and someone took my gas cap. I have done quite a few "improvements" to the car, adding aftermarket things like a new head light fixture to have projector lights and new rims and tires. I got the windows tinted and changed the tail lights to the new 2005 version as well. I have added XM radio to the car and have done a few interior updates. I really can't stop. I think I am looking every weekend for something new to put on this car.

A Dream or a Cliff Diver
By Val on 12/20/06 14:55 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had more problems with this car than I could have ever imagined. It was my dream car that turned into a nightmare of recalls and problems. From the engine that is constantly in need of repair, to the glove box that broke when I opened it, the catalytic converter that was recalled, but they won't fix until $1,000 of parts are replaced to make sure it is the converter that is the problem. If I was a mechanic, and someone gave me the car, I still would never get one again! You couldn't pay me enough!

Great Intention, Average Execution
By Gee on 11/30/06 05:06 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years (120,000 miles). It's stylish, well designed, has good fuel efficiency (2.0 engine), is comfortable, and fun to drive. However, compared to modern cars, the build quality and reliability are only average (below average if compared to a Japanese car). Rather than list everything that has gone wrong, I'll say this: averaged over the most of the car's life, I've had $1,000 of repairs per year. It would be closer to $1,500 if I didn't do most of the diagnostics and labor myself. All of my problems have been mechanical, so the body and interior of the car look GREAT. If you can get one used for a few grand, and don't mind putting $1,000 a year in the car, it's a buy!

What a Piece of Junk
By Kristen on 11/25/06 07:56 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Okay, this is all I have to say about the 2000 Jetta... what a piece of junk! I bought the car from an independently owned dealership (I learned my lesson from that) and the car was running great, Carfax checked out, everything... the next day after I purchased the vehicle, it wouldn't start. It needed new starter. I got that replaced, then three days later, it didn't start again. The sensors started wacking out on it. I took it to two other VW shops, they couldn't figure out the problem. I traded it in three weeks after purchase date for my 1999 Honda Accord, and I love it! It has no problems whatsoever! Don't buy a VW, they are pieces! I did the research, and they are building these things in Mexico! German quality? I think NOT.

Burns too Much Oil
By Oil Burner 2 on 10/02/06 11:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car drives great and has been very reliable. I bought it new in 2000, but since day one it has used at least a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, which could be dangerous unless you know it. The dash lights around the temp and fan switch quit working after a the first few years. The front bumper grill pops out each time you bump a parking block. I'm tired of replacing the lost grills, even thought they're cheap. Otherwise it's been a workhorse I can count on.

Poor Craftsmanship
By Bobert on 08/30/06 18:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My car was made in Mexico (NOT Germany), and the quality shows. Within the first couple months a wire disconnected which made the car unable to get out of the 'P' (automatic model). It took a week to order the dash which they had to smash to get to the wire (all costs covered under warranty). The check engine light came on right after the warranty expired and it cost $100 to turn off. The cupholders have broken and tail lights and headlights have gone out ($120ish). Also, the oil pan needed replacement at a cost of $500 and now the airbag light has come on.