Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great First Car!!!
By Chris Selph

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3500 from a military family in August of 2009 at 98,000 miles. I have had no issues with the car since The previous owners took very good care of the car. As far as interior problems the only things that have gone for me are the clove compartment hinge and cupholder. Luckily I know a friend who has an extra cupholder, so that fixes that issue and the glove compartment isnt that big of a deal. I get about 32-40 mpg's depending how I drive. Also I take very good care of the engine and components and haven't had any problems yet. Being at 102,000 miles I am considering getting the timing belt/water pump changed.

My favorite features are the power sunroof and windows you can close and open with the key. The key FOB itself, heated mirrors, the little tiny sun visor above the mirror. Just the small thins that make the difference.

Just the glove compartment and cupholder. Also my clear coat is beggining to chip.

Just a good car
By pthomps

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 2001. Sure, the window lifts were quick to go out, and there were several other minor recalls, but it keeps on ticking. I use it primarily as a commuter car, driving about 40 miles a day. Love the mpg, love the styling. I'm just now approaching 100k miles. I sunk $1,500 into it recently for preventative maintenance (incl. New timing belt), but consider it a good investment. Interior wear and tear has taken its toll - the glove box arm is broken, as is the arm rest latch, but I can live with that. The car looks great, is fun to drive (every once in a while is quite sluggish in 1st gear), but has been a great car.

moon roof, key-controlled windows, styling

more horsepower, lower RPM at 70 mph

Nightmare on Wheels
By tenmpf150

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We've nicknamed the car "The Black Dalia" if that tells you anything. Right from the get go this German engineered piece of Mexican craftsmanship has been a complete nightmare. This car has broken faster than I can physically fix it. First it was the clutch plates slipping, then it was the window off track, then it was the dashboard falling apart, then the seats always look filthy, then the door locks didn't work, then the interior lights, then the key fob stopped working, the motor burns a quart of oil a week, the MAF has gone twice, then the fuel injectors started surging, now the car bucks like a bronco, the doors won't stop chiming like they are open all the time!! and the list goes on...

Absolutely nothing, I hate this car with a burning passion!

I wish VW had included a self destruct feature, or at least allowed for spontaneous combustion.

it's a soild 8
By thickandwide

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Probably the best car I've ever owned. Sites like this mostly attract negative reviews from upset consumers who don't understand how to maintain a vehicle. The Jetta has a reliable VR6 motor that is both strong and economical and came with a lot of perks for a 2000 car: CD changer, moon roof, "front trac" stability control, heated seats, Monsoon 8-speaker stero, and heated leather seats to name a few. My only complaint, as with most owners, is that this car chews up water pumps - and it has two of them (an electrical and mechanical) and yes they are expensive to repair. Also VW needs to make it easier to change the headlamps. Basic maintenance should be easier.

A strong motor is a must have, but the heated seats are fabulous. Another good design is the "tube" style oil filter which allows you to go between 5000-7000 miles between oil changes helping to keep the cost of maintenance down. The 5-30W oil doesn't hurt either. Two thumbs up 4 the VW engineers

200hp motor for a bit more power, an additional 3" of leg room in the back seat, solve the water pump issue, perforated leather AC seats like the BMW 7-series, 4-motion, projector headlamps (that are easy to access), stock cold air induction would be nice also.

Why are so many people complaining?
By SkydiverMN

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I currently have 165k on my Jetta GLS 2.0L. Besides some recall issues (window motor module, and a catalytic converter) the car's been fine. Sure, there are wearable items that go, and I recently did a suspension replacement (tie rods, ball joints, lower control arms, struts, and rear shocks) that cost about $600 for parts. Otherwise, it's a solid runner and is fun to drive. Would I but another? Sure. All cars eventually have most (if not all) of the issues that I've run into.

standard tranny, leather seating, heated seats, and cool dash color.

cup holder design stinks. Breaks easily, but you can find replacements online.