Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great car. Not cheap to Keep
By Roger!

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 80,000 miles. I love the handling, comfort, styling, power, and feel of the car. But its not cheap to fix. I dont mind putting in a new clutch and alternator after 140,000, its expected. But does EVERYTHING have to cost $800 - $1900+ in labor to fix? You cant get to anything to fix it. I think Ive had most problems listed by Jetta owners. Here are mine: Front end almost rips off at curbs (even low ones) Glove box falling off Center console broke Window falls into door Coil pack cracked in cold weather Emission warning (and engine light) never go off Cooling system leak Shorted speaker Gooey plastic interior parts

Love the handling, comfort, styling, power, and feel of the car

Cheap interior parts. Poor support from VW. Costs too much to keep. Will not own another one.

Great VW
By Top Dollar

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Just traded in my VW Jetta GLX VR-6 with 254,000 miles on it. I hated to get rid of it but I was getting bored with it. You ask why? Well for one, I was the original owner. With all those mile it kept its good looks, Leather seat were still beautiful, and engine still ran like new. I always hated one thing about the car and it was the 91 octane. Let me tell you this was the best VW I ever owned, but I had to stay on top of the maintenance! I miss here already!

Engine, Performance, Heated Leather Seats, Handling, Moonroof,

Better Interior Noise Level,

Great First Car!!!
By Chris Selph

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3500 from a military family in August of 2009 at 98,000 miles. I have had no issues with the car since The previous owners took very good care of the car. As far as interior problems the only things that have gone for me are the clove compartment hinge and cupholder. Luckily I know a friend who has an extra cupholder, so that fixes that issue and the glove compartment isnt that big of a deal. I get about 32-40 mpg's depending how I drive. Also I take very good care of the engine and components and haven't had any problems yet. Being at 102,000 miles I am considering getting the timing belt/water pump changed.

My favorite features are the power sunroof and windows you can close and open with the key. The key FOB itself, heated mirrors, the little tiny sun visor above the mirror. Just the small thins that make the difference.

Just the glove compartment and cupholder. Also my clear coat is beggining to chip.

Just a good car
By pthomps

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 2001. Sure, the window lifts were quick to go out, and there were several other minor recalls, but it keeps on ticking. I use it primarily as a commuter car, driving about 40 miles a day. Love the mpg, love the styling. I'm just now approaching 100k miles. I sunk $1,500 into it recently for preventative maintenance (incl. New timing belt), but consider it a good investment. Interior wear and tear has taken its toll - the glove box arm is broken, as is the arm rest latch, but I can live with that. The car looks great, is fun to drive (every once in a while is quite sluggish in 1st gear), but has been a great car.

moon roof, key-controlled windows, styling

more horsepower, lower RPM at 70 mph

Nightmare on Wheels
By tenmpf150

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We've nicknamed the car "The Black Dalia" if that tells you anything. Right from the get go this German engineered piece of Mexican craftsmanship has been a complete nightmare. This car has broken faster than I can physically fix it. First it was the clutch plates slipping, then it was the window off track, then it was the dashboard falling apart, then the seats always look filthy, then the door locks didn't work, then the interior lights, then the key fob stopped working, the motor burns a quart of oil a week, the MAF has gone twice, then the fuel injectors started surging, now the car bucks like a bronco, the doors won't stop chiming like they are open all the time!! and the list goes on...

Absolutely nothing, I hate this car with a burning passion!

I wish VW had included a self destruct feature, or at least allowed for spontaneous combustion.

• SUV