2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews 6

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
00 Jetta
By mwd on 03/23/08 20:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had my Jetta for a little over four years now, and have been fairly satisfied with the car. The 2.0 engine is pretty weak and goes through more gas than I expected. I believe VW has made a huge improvement in both of these areas in recent years. The car handles pretty well, but it doesn't take long various rattles and noises to present themselves after use on rough Midwest roads.

2000 Jetta
By Jasmine on 02/24/08 11:45 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It is my first car so my dad wanted to get me a used one. I was stupid to start with a volkswagon. I wanted a cute car so did not even think about reliability. The bumpers are cheaper than something at the 99 cent store. The plastic underlining catches on to anything and everything. I have had to replace the bumper once and recently cracked it again. But because I am getting a new car in a couple month, I just taped it. The brake makes a terrible sound every time I take my foot off the pedal. Fun ride but not worth it with the cheap build.

Fun but always broken
By khq0660 on 02/06/08 22:24 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was lots of fun to drive and I had an extended warranty, or else I would have ditched it. It always had body parts breaking. The electrical system was always having shorts (one time it went crazy and my trunk kept popping open while driving, blinkers worked only sometimes, doors locked on their own, etc). Endless mechanical parts were replaced. I hated the feeling I got when a new warning lit up on the dash. Just before the warranty expired I had to be towed. All of this happened before it even reached 91,000 miles. If I hadn't owned a Fiat 27 years ago, which showed me how truly bad a car can be, I would have been tempted to give my Jetta an even lower reliability score than I did

Not Happy
By zorioq on 01/21/08 19:30 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

The Pros: The car drives smooth and handles well. The blue & red interior lighting scheme makes you feel as if you're in a spaceship. The Cons: The interior moonroof liner broke the day after I got the car. The driver door window fell into the door. The whole window cranking mechanism had to be replaced. The plastic glove door & the center console broke off. The moonroof leaks. The a/c doesn't work at all. And there is a mysterious problem with the cat. converter & sensors. Replaced all and STILL getting the check eng. light. Diagnostics keep saying it's a random code, no real problem. Right. TRY to pass inspection with the light on. Not in NY baby! Now I have frost on inside windshield.

cant go wrong if u care about ur car
By vwdrvr4life on 12/30/07 12:33 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

VWs are wonderful cars if you're the type of driver who cares about the vehicle. They're not "basic trasportation" cars. Find a trustworthy earnest mechanic who takes pride in his/her work and while you're doing what you're supposed to as an owner, the mechanic will hopefully help you keep your VW alive for years and years to come. I know whenever I see used cars they are always tons of cars from asia, but very few VWs are on the used car lots.

Love my Jetta!
By Renee on 06/27/07 08:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We drive our car really hard, and I am impressed by how well it stands up to our driving habits. I drove it from PA to NY two times weekly during the school year. The interior on my Jetta is black so it shows hair (mostly dog), but aside from that I love the way the car is set up. It's comfortable and wonderful to drive. I've had no serious mechanical or cosmetic issues with the car thus far (I need to replace a side mirror due to rust and a piece on the undercarriage due to how low the car is). I really love this car and would recommend it to anyone who does lots of driving and wants to be comfortable and sporty at the same time.

2000 Volkswagen Jetta
By tbone on 06/19/07 22:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car is a lot of fun to drive and gets great MPG. We've taken many long trips and use it as the commuter car (300+ miles per week). The paint still looks good after 7 1/2 yrs. Don't like the cup holder's quality or placement above the radio (hard to use radio controls).

Great Car
By AH on 06/18/07 18:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I know that the reviews of the VWs have been mixed but our car has been great. We currently have 110,000 on the car, which we bought new in 2000. Besides scheduled maintenance, we have only had two repair issues - a sensor, which ended up being a recall item, and the catalytic converter, which was pricey. The car does burn oil, about a quart every quarter or so, but other that that we have had no problems whatsoever. We are quite happy with the car. Now, would we buy another VW? Even though we've had no problems, given all of the bad stories we've heard... no.

I Love VW
By mikeyju on 06/17/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I love how fast the car is and how comfy it is. The brakes are very good and smooth, and the engine is also very smooth. It is just such a fun car to drive and it has so much in it that you wouldn't even imagine.

Still a loyal VW owner
By matt on 05/19/07 15:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Not as impressed with my fourth VW as with past ones. It is more generic than the quirky VWs of the past. Great gas mileage. Interior quality is poor but have not had much mechanical trouble. It has 124,000 and still running great.