2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Am I Lucky??
By Flash on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I own a 2000 GLX VR6 and still love driving it. After reading many other reviews I am feeling very lucky but worried now. Only a few things have happened to it. My rain sensor stopped working, which was due to a short in the wiring up in the head liner and my armrest latch broke and that is it. I blew a couple speakers or the rivits that hold them in were loose or broken, I forget, but now the rattles are back in 3 speakers. Everthing was covered. I do notice a lot of squeeks and rattles and wind noise with the sunroof. Besides those little things the car has been great to me, specially for the way I drive it(like an arcade racing game).

Matt's 00 Jetta Review
By MattB on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love the car. No major complaints, just a few minor ones. The cupholder is terrible. It's flimsy and rattles all the time, whether it's pushed in or extended. It does not expand to fit other sizes of cups. The transmission (auto.) is also a little screwy. Frequently, when slowing down for a stoplight, it will suddenly drop to 1st gear, propelling me forward. A minor annoyance, but sometimes I just don't like the way it shifts. However, the car rides very nicely, is quite comfortable; even though I'm six feet tall, I still don't feel terribly cramped. There is not much room for average-sized humans in the back, though.

POS Car, company and experience
By dAve on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Definitely NOT the experience of owning two Hondas. Oxygen sensor problem at 40K, car burned oil for first 24K miles, still occasionally burns oil, bad suspension caused premature tire wear, very poor paint -- scratches too easily. Poorly designed front bumper, held on by plastic clips that pop off easily. Catch a high curb and it will come right off. VW of America was less than cooperative. Not recommended AT ALL. The dealerships were very good at "going to bat" for you and getting coverage.

Luv it
By Jettafan on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

My husband & I love my Jetta. It's Sporty, quick & reliable with an awsome sound system. Great for people or couple's without kids. The backseat is kinda small for passengers. I mainly have it to commute to work. The backseat folds down for x-tra cargo space. My V6 has a ton of power. My husband calls it the sports car. When given the choice on which car to take on a trip, we have always chosen the Jetta.

Problematic car.
By Unhappy Jetta owner on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Loved the car at first. After 1 month, it developed a water leak in the driver door. Many visits later the leak is not fixed. Other problems include 3 of 4 windows have had the regulator go out. The lumbar seats broke. The emissions light comes on frequently. The air conditioner has built-up a bad smell. The water coolent light comes on but the guage is normal and coolant level is good. I have never missed the required maintenance and it still has these problems. The car drives great and is appealing to the eye, but these problems are not worth it. I wish I had purchased the extended warranty. Actually, I wish I could go back and never have purchased the car.

Great Car
By brentbrent on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I have had a great experience with this car. I have had it for 2 years and driven it about 27,000 miles. The only problem I had was a plastic vent cover on the lower portion of the front bumper was knocked out while driving. Also I had a flat tire but was quite impressed with the full-size spare and the ease of use of the included (although strange-looking) jack. My car has the five-speed and I personally think it transforms the personality of the car to fun compared to the automatic. I plan on getting another Volkswagen when my lease is up on this car.

can't beat the 1.8
By bwrobert on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

1.8t is the perfect engine fit for the Jetta. Great gas mileage and performance. The rear seat is just a bit cramped for adults on long hauls. I love the clean lines and night time blue color display. It is a fun car to drive and feels like a big car on long distance drives.

Great Family Sedan
By snead_c on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

We have owned the GLX for 28 months (34,500 miles) and had no problems. My wife drives it and loves it.It is an excellent small sedan that is loaded with features, performs very well, and is economical.

Love it/Hate it
By jilly on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I love the look and ride of my 2000 Getta GLS, but unfortunately, I never have a chance to drive my car because it's continuously in the shop. For the 2 1/2 years I've had it, the O2 sensor, catalytic converter, elec fans, thermostat, many many fuses, etc, etc, etc. have all been replaced. I will NEVER buy another because of all the problems I am having (it's in the shop right now).

my car
By Titus on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for a while now, and the attention to detail that VW has put into the car amazes me everyday. The features theat the car has is great, from heated seats to self adjsting mirrors, to automatic windshield wipers. THE car is perfect, the R6 engine sounds great but it does comsume a whole lot of gas. I average about 20- 25 miles a gallon.