220,000 miles in a VW TDI
By Tim T on
2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan
I know not why there is not greater availability of these cars...they provide good performance, are extremely comfortable and relaxed at high speeds on long drives, and are very economical to operate. Mine has achieved between 43 and 47 mpg so far. In real world driving conditions, they far outperform most Hybrids on performance AND economy. I have not had any major problems to date, but I DO NOT go to VW dealerships anymore as they are not famililiar with these cars and when faults do occour (usually in the engine management system) they are unable to solve the problems.
Favorite Features
The perfect driving position, the fact that it's very relaxed at high speed, long tank range (over 400 miles), good build quality, and low maintenance needs.
Suggested Improvements
Why can't we get the latest engines here? The current one in Europe puts out substantially more power than the unit that is available here and seems to be more economical to boot. I recently drove a 170 hp 2.0 TDI. The 1.9 sold here is a slugggardly clunker by comparison. The European version is truly fabulious.