2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: I love this car

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GL TDi Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual)

I love this car
By Gene on

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've had this car as my daily driver since I bought it with 15,000 miles. 50,000 miles later I have no regrets. It's the base package with 5-speed, electric nothing (except power locks) and the optional factory CD changer. It's the perfect commuter car averaging 38-44 mpg. I now live in Wisconsin and this past winter, it started every day except for one 8 degree morning where the battery gave up. Even though it only has 90 hp, the 150 ft/lb of torque means it has no problems getting off the line or passing cars at highway speeds.

The great gas mileage, comfortable interior, responsive brakes and steering. This car looks marvelous. The engine is perfect for highway driving - it actually gets smoother the faster you go.

The front cup holders have broken three times. When the EGR plugged up at 40,000 miles, I had to spend $1,100 to clean it. I'll likely have to do it again at 80,000 miles. Don't lose your keys: It's $150 for the base key and $250 for the remote. The front seats get old after 200 miles.