2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: 2000 Jetta GL

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

2000 Jetta GL
By Ebozz on

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

The Jetta I have driven for the last 9/10 years has been good to me overall. That said, I would not buy another Volkswagen the next time I purchase a car. It is a sharp looking vehicle, fun to drive, and very comfortable. My issues have mainly been with the quirkiness of mechanical instruments and engine parts. I think you could find a Japanese car for the same money and find better reliability. Common issues include replacing the following: Water pump (impeller is plastic on original and designed to fail; eventually the inside of it melted and had to be replaced. The catalytic converter needed replacing (warranty is 10yr/120K miles FYI). And various other check engine lights etc.

Favorite Features

Interior design, handling is great, instrument panels easy to read, trunk size, full size spare, backseat folds down.

Suggested Improvements

Radio reception is awful FM and AM. Catalytic converter and water pump broke too soon. Door hinges are starting to loosen up. Automatic lock system does not function properly anymore. Trunk latch and hood latch are plastic and both needed replacing. Lots of light bulb changes throughout.