Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 351 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

What a POS
By kandyd

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!

I am a 5 ft tall lady and the car fit me well for my size, and had no blind spots. The V6 has nice pick up power. The leather seats and warmers were nice options with the GLX model, but all the extra power features are only a headache when you have to fix them when they break.

Cant go wrong with vr6
By ro10

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years now bought it with 100k miles on with nothing being done to the car guy was being honest i guess. After getting the car had to get a cat and a ecu about 1,000 dollars than two raditor house the radiator, mass air flow sensor and the control arms about 2,500 in repairs in 2 years not to
bad. Now it has 140,000 still runs like a dream turn off the traction control and burn some tires. Clutch still is perfect, original alternator, original starter, original water pump really reliable. Just change the oil and watch for the belt had to change it twice but its only 90 bucks if u do it ur self. And the car will threat u well.

VR6!!! The interior is still flawless after 12 years some people dont believe me its a 2000.

AWD and a turbo : ) Improvement on the front suspension still handles very good but could be better.

but it happens
By go4th1

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

well i bought my jetta this year and it a 2000 5 speed its a awesome car so fun to drive it takes cruves like nothing ive ever been in it the best car i have ever owned but after 2 months the trans slung two gears and i mean its still not that bad but its way to much for another 1

speed,the way it handles, mpg

expensive to fix fun to drive
By kenneary21

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

this was my second car only had 66,000 on it with is good for a 10 year old car. fell in love with it at first sight black exterior with black leather interior. i learned how to drive stick with this car and its a blast to drive very fast even for the 2.0l v4 handling awesome I cant say enough how much i love this car it looks so cool and is so comfy to sit in and is fast and handles well Im going to miss this car and so will all my friends. the one thing that sucks about this car and the same goes for all German cars when something breaks its pricey. my alternator went $500,oil pan $475. The other thing i dont like about the car too much is the plastic body. It gets 20-26 mpg. love this car

love the sun roof features. handling,speed, clutch is nice easy car to learn stick on, leather seats especially the front 2 bucket seats. dash board lights(red and blue). i guess the looks in general. I beat on this car and it still runs fine.

fix the trunk problem everyone i know that owns a 99-03 vw (passat. jetta, golf) has had the same problem with that piece of plastic breaking so the button in the car wont work or the key button the only way to open it is with the actual key and no matter how many times you fix it it always breaks. and make a German car that isnt so expensive to fix.

High Miles
By driver111

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Jrtta that I bought new as a company car. I bought it from my company after. I now have 268,000 miles on it. It has the 2.0 gas engine, 5spd manual trans. I only have had a few issues with the car. I regulary change the timing belt, and water pump and tune up parts as you should. The only other parts that I have replaced is the Coil Pack. That I replaced myself and was very simple. I would recomend buying a NON Turbo Jetta to anyone. They are very dependable and with care and yes some maint. it will go forever. My Daughter took the car out of state to college and she loves that it gets 28mpg. It's been a great car and my daughter loves all the options that it has.