Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

What a POS
By kandyd

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!

I am a 5 ft tall lady and the car fit me well for my size, and had no blind spots. The V6 has nice pick up power. The leather seats and warmers were nice options with the GLX model, but all the extra power features are only a headache when you have to fix them when they break.

Cant go wrong with vr6
By ro10

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years now bought it with 100k miles on with nothing being done to the car guy was being honest i guess. After getting the car had to get a cat and a ecu about 1,000 dollars than two raditor house the radiator, mass air flow sensor and the control arms about 2,500 in repairs in 2 years not to
bad. Now it has 140,000 still runs like a dream turn off the traction control and burn some tires. Clutch still is perfect, original alternator, original starter, original water pump really reliable. Just change the oil and watch for the belt had to change it twice but its only 90 bucks if u do it ur self. And the car will threat u well.

VR6!!! The interior is still flawless after 12 years some people dont believe me its a 2000.

AWD and a turbo : ) Improvement on the front suspension still handles very good but could be better.

It has its quirks, but I love it!
By mickeyt52

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My GLX seemed have led a rough life before I bought it, but fortunately, the guy religiously changed his oil. Many K-miles later, the engine is very quiet and very smooth. So, that gave me room to spend cash on all the neglected stuff...now it's a sweet ride. I've read a lot of these reviews, and one thing I've come away with is to NOT buy one of these Jettas w/ high miles if your not somewhat mechanically inclined or don't know a really good VW mechanic. But if you don't mind tinkering now and then, these cars can be a blast to drive, and customize as well. Despite their idiosyncrasies, there is a strong network of enthusiasts, many of whom will gladly share their knowledge and experience.

Wood grain trim, heated power leather seats, great sound system, gobs of power, smooth shifting.

Power mirror switch (knob breaks off), front bumper cover can get caught on curb stops or built-up snow.

Great car. Not cheap to Keep
By Roger!

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 80,000 miles. I love the handling, comfort, styling, power, and feel of the car. But it’s not cheap to fix. I don’t mind putting in a new clutch and alternator after 140,000, it’s expected. But does EVERYTHING have to cost $800 - $1900+ in labor to fix? You can’t get to anything to fix it. I think I’ve had most problems listed by Jetta owners. Here are mine: • Front end almost rips off at curbs (even low ones) • Glove box falling off • Center console broke • Window falls into door • Coil pack cracked in cold weather • Emission warning (and engine light) never go off • Cooling system leak • Shorted speaker • Gooey plastic interior parts

Love the handling, comfort, styling, power, and feel of the car

Cheap interior parts. Poor support from VW. Costs too much to keep. Will not own another one.

Great VW
By Top Dollar

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Just traded in my VW Jetta GLX VR-6 with 254,000 miles on it. I hated to get rid of it but I was getting bored with it. You ask why? Well for one, I was the original owner. With all those mile it kept its good looks, Leather seat were still beautiful, and engine still ran like new. I always hated one thing about the car and it was the 91 octane. Let me tell you this was the best VW I ever owned, but I had to stay on top of the maintenance! I miss here already!

Engine, Performance, Heated Leather Seats, Handling, Moonroof,