2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLX VR6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
What a POS
By kandyd on 07/29/13 04:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!

Cant go wrong with vr6
By ro10 on 09/03/12 12:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years now bought it with 100k miles on with nothing being done to the car guy was being honest i guess. After getting the car had to get a cat and a ecu about 1,000 dollars than two raditor house the radiator, mass air flow sensor and the control arms about 2,500 in repairs in 2 years not to bad. Now it has 140,000 still runs like a dream turn off the traction control and burn some tires. Clutch still is perfect, original alternator, original starter, original water pump really reliable. Just change the oil and watch for the belt had to change it twice but its only 90 bucks if u do it ur self. And the car will threat u well.

It has its quirks, but I love it!
By mickeyt52 on 04/03/11 07:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My GLX seemed have led a rough life before I bought it, but fortunately, the guy religiously changed his oil. Many K-miles later, the engine is very quiet and very smooth. So, that gave me room to spend cash on all the neglected stuff...now it's a sweet ride. I've read a lot of these reviews, and one thing I've come away with is to NOT buy one of these Jettas w/ high miles if your not somewhat mechanically inclined or don't know a really good VW mechanic. But if you don't mind tinkering now and then, these cars can be a blast to drive, and customize as well. Despite their idiosyncrasies, there is a strong network of enthusiasts, many of whom will gladly share their knowledge and experience.

Great car. Not cheap to Keep
By Roger! on 04/02/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 80,000 miles. I love the handling, comfort, styling, power, and feel of the car. But it’s not cheap to fix. I don’t mind putting in a new clutch and alternator after 140,000, it’s expected. But does EVERYTHING have to cost $800 - $1900+ in labor to fix? You can’t get to anything to fix it. I think I’ve had most problems listed by Jetta owners. Here are mine: • Front end almost rips off at curbs (even low ones) • Glove box falling off • Center console broke • Window falls into door • Coil pack cracked in cold weather • Emission warning (and engine light) never go off • Cooling system leak • Shorted speaker • Gooey plastic interior parts

Great VW
By Top Dollar on 03/17/10 22:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Just traded in my VW Jetta GLX VR-6 with 254,000 miles on it. I hated to get rid of it but I was getting bored with it. You ask why? Well for one, I was the original owner. With all those mile it kept its good looks, Leather seat were still beautiful, and engine still ran like new. I always hated one thing about the car and it was the 91 octane. Let me tell you this was the best VW I ever owned, but I had to stay on top of the maintenance! I miss here already!

Good Car overall!
By josh on 03/18/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My car has 110k miles the engines is still strong, when I purchased it had an air intake installed so the gas mileage is not the best. I get about 315 miles per tank. It is fun to drive and lovely in the winter with those heated seat to bad I cant say the same for the summer. If you are looking for a nice (sport) car this is definitely a must. Always use gas with 91 octanes or higher if not you will lose power and also the check engine light will always be on, emission workshop.

Too good to trade in
By fs on 02/10/09 10:09 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Traded in an SUV for this car when it was 3 years old and had about 30,000 miles. After getting over the initial shock of how tiny the vehicle was, almost everything has been positive since. This is the second-best car my family has owned (the first was a '98 Cabrio). We've had GM, Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi, but nothing like the tight handling of the VW. At 135k, still a quiet, smooth ride. We've been through two minivans in the time we've had the Jetta, and it might be time to replace the Jetta next, though it's showing no signs of quitting. Dealt with the CEL for the O2 sensor issue for about 4 years-- but not too much just to ignore. Also had some engine fan issues after 100k.

Assessment
By Althea Stennett-McDo on 09/05/08 12:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been most reliable however we have been experiencing water leakages associated with the radiator resulting in the need for the gasket to be changed. I would like to sell same and need to have an idea of the cost. Vehicle was involved previously in an accident.

Fun but always broken
By khq0660 on 02/06/08 22:24 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was lots of fun to drive and I had an extended warranty, or else I would have ditched it. It always had body parts breaking. The electrical system was always having shorts (one time it went crazy and my trunk kept popping open while driving, blinkers worked only sometimes, doors locked on their own, etc). Endless mechanical parts were replaced. I hated the feeling I got when a new warning lit up on the dash. Just before the warranty expired I had to be towed. All of this happened before it even reached 91,000 miles. If I hadn't owned a Fiat 27 years ago, which showed me how truly bad a car can be, I would have been tempted to give my Jetta an even lower reliability score than I did

Nice ride :)
By Kathy on 04/24/07 08:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my son who is a VW fanatic - he shows and races them also. This car has all the bells and whistles and is fun to drive with the 5 speed standard transmission. Car handles excellently and has great pick up - I have to keep an eye on the speedometer because it's easy to get a ticket! Get decent gas mileage but have to use the best grade gas. I get 300-350 average miles on a tankful.