2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS CAR
By vwispos on 09/10/13 22:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

it was the most unreliable excuse of a car that costed a arm and leg to fix. please save your self from emptying your pockets to fix this POS and go buy a honda or some other japanese car.

What a POS
By kandyd on 07/29/13 04:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!

Cant go wrong with vr6
By ro10 on 09/03/12 12:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years now bought it with 100k miles on with nothing being done to the car guy was being honest i guess. After getting the car had to get a cat and a ecu about 1,000 dollars than two raditor house the radiator, mass air flow sensor and the control arms about 2,500 in repairs in 2 years not to bad. Now it has 140,000 still runs like a dream turn off the traction control and burn some tires. Clutch still is perfect, original alternator, original starter, original water pump really reliable. Just change the oil and watch for the belt had to change it twice but its only 90 bucks if u do it ur self. And the car will threat u well.

but it happens
By go4th1 on 05/05/12 10:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

well i bought my jetta this year and it a 2000 5 speed its a awesome car so fun to drive it takes cruves like nothing ive ever been in it the best car i have ever owned but after 2 months the trans slung two gears and i mean its still not that bad but its way to much for another 1

expensive to fix fun to drive
By kenneary21 on 03/10/12 13:02 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

this was my second car only had 66,000 on it with is good for a 10 year old car. fell in love with it at first sight black exterior with black leather interior. i learned how to drive stick with this car and its a blast to drive very fast even for the 2.0l v4 handling awesome I cant say enough how much i love this car it looks so cool and is so comfy to sit in and is fast and handles well Im going to miss this car and so will all my friends. the one thing that sucks about this car and the same goes for all German cars when something breaks its pricey. my alternator went $500,oil pan $475. The other thing i dont like about the car too much is the plastic body. It gets 20-26 mpg. love this car

High Miles
By driver111 on 01/25/12 09:46 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Jrtta that I bought new as a company car. I bought it from my company after. I now have 268,000 miles on it. It has the 2.0 gas engine, 5spd manual trans. I only have had a few issues with the car. I regulary change the timing belt, and water pump and tune up parts as you should. The only other parts that I have replaced is the Coil Pack. That I replaced myself and was very simple. I would recomend buying a NON Turbo Jetta to anyone. They are very dependable and with care and yes some maint. it will go forever. My Daughter took the car out of state to college and she loves that it gets 28mpg. It's been a great car and my daughter loves all the options that it has.

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED
By supercharged36 on 11/30/11 04:57 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought my jetta in 2005 with 200 thousand kms, it now has 310 thousand on a 2.0 gas model, i have repalaced the rad,inner and outer tierod ends, battery, cv joint,breaks all around, ball joints, all basic wear and tear parts you would replace on all cars, i drive this car hard, and it has never let me down, just a blast to drive, i find the 2.0 really woke up when i put on a cold air ,,air intake, added much more power and great sounding grawl when you punch it,,with the added 18 inch rims and the 2 inch suspession drop i have done, my jetta can out handle most cars on the road, im a vw customer for life

Okay
By srs1997 on 10/16/11 19:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

A car that has good overall features for price. Build quality has been okay minus a few spots where roof cloth has come down. Easy controls, but have had trouble with manual seat control.

Really great car!!
By ejames513 on 07/30/11 17:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed manual brand new. It now has 210,000 miles on it and runs the same as it did in 2000. Never left me stranded or broke down. Only major items replaced is the timing chain, water pump and battery which is common in any other car. As long as you change your oil every 3 months and flush the fluids regularly it should last a long time. The only problems I've had with the car is the glove box hinge broke and the CD player works half the time. The car is not the fastest car but it takes off pretty quick and zooms around corners with no problem. Other than that I would recommend this car and would buy another. I'll let you guys know when it hits 300,000 miles!

It has its quirks, but I love it!
By mickeyt52 on 04/03/11 07:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My GLX seemed have led a rough life before I bought it, but fortunately, the guy religiously changed his oil. Many K-miles later, the engine is very quiet and very smooth. So, that gave me room to spend cash on all the neglected stuff...now it's a sweet ride. I've read a lot of these reviews, and one thing I've come away with is to NOT buy one of these Jettas w/ high miles if your not somewhat mechanically inclined or don't know a really good VW mechanic. But if you don't mind tinkering now and then, these cars can be a blast to drive, and customize as well. Despite their idiosyncrasies, there is a strong network of enthusiasts, many of whom will gladly share their knowledge and experience.