Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Terrible. You'd be better off riding a bike!
By Izabella

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

If you intend to buy this car, you need to reconsider. I purchased my 2000 Jetta 1.8 in March of 2013. This is the breakdown of the repairs I've made since March of 2013 -Engine blew $2400 -Front control arms $300 -Upper and Lower radiator hoses $300 -4 Ball Joints $450 -Bushings, Stab Links $300 -Starter $250 -Front Axle $200 -Power Steering Pump $250 I've done regular maintenance such as Tires, Brakes, Flushes e.tc. $500. I've put more into the vehicle, but after all of the repairs I've had, it's hard to remember every single thing that's been done. Currently, the Heater Core is out. This will cost upwards of $1200. (I'm unwilling to put this much into it). By this point, I would have been able to invest a good sum into a new car. It seems like every 3 months, something goes out that costs a minimum of $250 to fix. This past winter, I went to roll down the window and the crank broke off. The vehicle is cheaply made. It's become a money pit. If you want to spend as much into a used, terrible car as you'd like to spend into a new car, then a 2000 Jetta is for you. I wish I had known how awful the vehicle is before I had purchased it. It's very disappointing because the transmission has been running strong, even with 184k miles. At this time, I'd have thought I've put so much into the car that it'd be running smooth. Unfortunately, about $5,000 later and an initial cost of $2,700, this thing runs like junk. It's so terrible, it's become known as the "money pit" in my family. If you look at this car, you may as well just start walking because that's all you'll be doing when you own this vehicle.

LOVE IT OR HATED
By farid3

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I HAVE JETTA GL 2.0 IT HAS 221000 MILES ON IT. ITS A GOOD CAR BUT VERY DELICATE CAR. IT HAS TO HAVE PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON IT ON A REGULAR BASES, AND BE ON THE TOP OF CAR SERVICE ALL THE TIME. IF YOU LIKE TO FLIRT AROUND WITH A CAR THAN IS GOOD BUT IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE JUST PUTS IN GAS AND CAHNGE THE OIL ONCE A WHILE THAN THIS IS NOT YOUR CAR and stick with Japanes cars. changed the timing belts, cranck sensor, changed lot of plastic connections in the engines. radiator replaced and the AC changed compressor changed with a new BEHR unit. used Mobil 1 oil. changed the transmission fluid every other year. German cars have to have preventive service done on them.

Fun car to drive great handling, Ok gas mileage for a 14 years old car. changed all the fluids every other year by meyslef.

Do not buy this cars if you dont know anything about maintenance.

PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS CAR
By vwispos

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

it was the most unreliable excuse of a car that costed a arm and leg to fix. please save your self from emptying your pockets to fix this POS and go buy a honda or some other japanese car.

I hated everything about mine except the way it looks

do the opposite of what you did before

What a POS
By kandyd

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 VW Jetta GLX automatic trans. about a year ago and have only been able to drive it half the time due to all the repairs it has needed. The alarm would go off every time I opened the door and the AC went out. A trip to the dealership cost $2508 to replace the door lock accuator, the mirror switch, rear trunk plate, and fix AC. Replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensor at $890. Replaced serpentine belt and belt tensioner at $568. The EPC and check engine light are on and estimated fix is $1187. Expecting a baby and a car seat will not fit in the back comfortably. Time to junk it! I will never buy another VW!! Buyer Beware!!!

I am a 5 ft tall lady and the car fit me well for my size, and had no blind spots. The V6 has nice pick up power. The leather seats and warmers were nice options with the GLX model, but all the extra power features are only a headache when you have to fix them when they break.

Cant go wrong with vr6
By ro10

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 2 years now bought it with 100k miles on with nothing being done to the car guy was being honest i guess. After getting the car had to get a cat and a ecu about 1,000 dollars than two raditor house the radiator, mass air flow sensor and the control arms about 2,500 in repairs in 2 years not to bad. Now it has 140,000 still runs like a dream turn off the traction control and burn some tires. Clutch still is perfect, original alternator, original starter, original water pump really reliable. Just change the oil and watch for the belt had to change it twice but its only 90 bucks if u do it ur self. And the car will threat u well.

VR6!!! The interior is still flawless after 12 years some people dont believe me its a 2000.

AWD and a turbo : ) Improvement on the front suspension still handles very good but could be better.