2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2000 VW Jetta GL TDI
By GLM on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love the low RPM torque the little diesel puts out. It requires only minimal changes in throttle settings to climb hills. My automatic transmission has been perfect. Timing belt changes are the norm for all current vehicles and this is an somewhat expensive procedure. Not the best build quality and lots of rattles and other noises have developed. Occassional "Check Engine" lights but VW's seem to have these and they usually go away on their own. This car should not be a daily driver for a non-mechanic. Too much trouble on the little things. Expensive to repair. Really bad CD changer in trunk. 600+ miles to the tank.

Jetta TDI
By Georgia on 07/05/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this TDI for 6 yrs and have been very happy. It has over 300k and is running strong. Every feature still works (heated seats). We get an adverage of 51 mpg. and we just purchased a second one for my husband.

I love my tdi
By diesel3276 on 12/07/08 05:28 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta tdi very reliable and never had any Major problems besides the plastic cover on the bottom of the jetta. The only other thing is the timing belt I haven't had it fixed yet because it is 900.00 and nothing can happen to the car if I don't get a new one. The gas mileage is amazing I probably fill it up every three months in gets about 45-50 mpg. And it the most fun to drive car I have ever had in my life I can't wait till I get the new jetta tdi

This is MY car!
By Marcus on 07/12/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've read some of the reviews here, so I have chosen to write something positive. Dealerships are Robbing you! The Idea of these Tdi's Is to maintain them properly. And knowledge is your best friend. My Tdi is amazing.. Excellent power and fun to drive. Yes there are electrical issues, but that is a far shot from getting 400 to 500 thousand miles out of your engine life. Get a mechanic that is competent and KNOWS the tdi and you are set.. I do ALL of my maintenance myself, How? Research. And these cars are easy to work on. Don't let the vw dealerships take you hard earned money.

I love this car
By Gene on 05/19/06 13:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've had this car as my daily driver since I bought it with 15,000 miles. 50,000 miles later I have no regrets. It's the base package with 5-speed, electric nothing (except power locks) and the optional factory CD changer. It's the perfect commuter car averaging 38-44 mpg. I now live in Wisconsin and this past winter, it started every day except for one 8 degree morning where the battery gave up. Even though it only has 90 hp, the 150 ft/lb of torque means it has no problems getting off the line or passing cars at highway speeds.

Drivers Wanted - Mechanics Needed
By lithia scumbags on 01/09/06 18:03 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is the worst car I've ever owned. It has had lots and lots of problems with the front end, brakes etc... the list is endless. Don't make the same mistake I made, buy a Honda or Toyota. I spent all my free time at the dealership, waiting for the latest excuse why my car won't run right, but how there is nothing wrong with the car.

220,000 miles in a VW TDI
By Tim T on 12/18/05 15:24 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I know not why there is not greater availability of these cars...they provide good performance, are extremely comfortable and relaxed at high speeds on long drives, and are very economical to operate. Mine has achieved between 43 and 47 mpg so far. In real world driving conditions, they far outperform most Hybrids on performance AND economy. I have not had any major problems to date, but I DO NOT go to VW dealerships anymore as they are not famililiar with these cars and when faults do occour (usually in the engine management system) they are unable to solve the problems.

New Owner
By Mike on 03/20/05 23:36 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

We have recently purchased a TDI. After long consideration we went for it. Lookslike a lot of work was done at the dealer. Hopefully we missed the worst. At 110km they did timing and waterpump as we insisted due to previous warnings and info. A lot of fun (5 speed). I am not sure of the mileage quality yet that everyone boasts about. I guess it all depends on the type of driving. We tend to have a heavy foot.

Jetta Review
By lrhodes on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

Vehicle is fun to drive and performs well. The downside is the higher dollar maintenance cost.

jetta tdi
By yenlo on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

this has been one of the worst purchases I've ever made.Multiple breakdowns(wheel bearings,fuel injection pump,fuel heater) at29000 mi.on this piece of junk 2000 Jetta TDI