2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
OK CAR
By Miguel on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

i bought this car with 89000 miles on it,really qood conditionn. This car is really qood as lonq as you have enough money to support it. The pieces for this car can leave you broke. But other than that.its a wonderful car to have. I recommend only if you have money to invest, but for those with first cars,or no money should look for something much more simpler.

Outstanding Car
By bhdfield on 06/17/10 07:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 vr6 jetta was bought new, and now has 159k miles on it. Just replaced original front pads, rotors, and control arm bushings. I still have the original clutch. High quality components. There is no squeak, rattle, or false noise. The leather seats look like new, as does the clear coat, which I did not ruin by allowing ham fisted kids to scratch to oblivion. These are very well designed cars. There are a handful of weak components, with easy solutions. Coil packs crack after 70k miles. Solution: epoxy, and it will fix it and last forever. Some plastic parts in the cooling system will need to be replaced after 130-150k miles. Big deal, it's a car with miles on it.

Erin's review
By erin on 04/15/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I have a love hate relationship with this car. Love the way it looks, hate the way it performs. Since day one, nothing but problems, currently working with vofa to try to get it fixed (cat convert anyone?). 10 y. O., just turned 60,000 miles because I'm afraid to take it anywhere for fear I won't get there -- or back home. Cup holders, glove box hinge, arm rest: broken. Currently, bucking like a bronco. Do not buy VW.

it's a soild 8
By thickandwide on 10/06/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Probably the best car I've ever owned. Sites like this mostly attract negative reviews from upset consumers who don't understand how to maintain a vehicle. The Jetta has a reliable VR6 motor that is both strong and economical and came with a lot of perks for a 2000 car: CD changer, moon roof, "front trac" stability control, heated seats, Monsoon 8-speaker stero, and heated leather seats to name a few. My only complaint, as with most owners, is that this car chews up water pumps - and it has two of them (an electrical and mechanical) and yes they are expensive to repair. Also VW needs to make it easier to change the headlamps. Basic maintenance should be easier.

Dream car turned money pit
By Krystyna on 07/24/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new with 12 miles on it. The car ran great for the 1st 3 years. My problem 1st started with an o2 sensor that was replaced in the 1st year of ownership-and my cup holder was replaced twice and the 3rd one broke but was not covered by the warranty. My glove box handle also broke off not to mention the arm rest broke. Then in '04 the j-joint snapped and caused the steering to fail. '05 I had to replace a cracked oil pan. Then in '08 the radiator blew ($500.00). Then the timing belt fell off, smashed the power steering pumu and wrapped around the tension arm ($750.00 w/o a new $350.00 tension arm) I've had 2 batteries, re-replaced the 02 sensor and today my car won't start.

VW losing their touch
By Alexandra on 03/20/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a jetta. My VR6 has been in my family since it was purchased in 2001 (it's a 2000). I paid my brother 5,000 for the car in 2005 which was a steal (or so I thought). As of now, in 2009, i've spent almost 5,000 fixing it. I'm a regular at the shop. I've replaced, like many other Jetta owners, sensors, breaks (way too often), water pump, clutch, struts, some more sensors... The glove box and cup holder broke within the first two years of use (Can't Germans even engineer a cup holder?). All in all, from sensors to cup holders, it's not much more than faulty junk.

not good at all
By patty on 11/15/08 22:02 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for two and a half years and i have had no good days with it. The check engine light wont go off. The brakes keep squeaking, even though they have been changed twice, the oil light comes on only 1000 miles after its been changed, and the transmission is slipping bad. I always have problems with this car, and all i hear from people is that it was a mistake to buy. The radio is really poor, not loud at all. The six cd changer will never work. The electrical mechanics are bad, nothing works right. Very expensive to fix, would not recommend buying.

What is wrong with the Germans?
By IJB on 05/01/08 11:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car hoping for a step up in performance from the Hondas I was used to driving, I'm now trading it in for a Honda. The engine is powerful but that comes with the cost of a miserable 19-20 mpg, costing me almost $50 a week thanks to it requiring premium. The headlights are fine until you turn on the high beams and notice that they are dimmer than the low beams, the DBW gas pedal makes the car difficult to drive smoothly for anyone driving for the first time, it leaks coolant, the timing chain makes noise and needs to be replaced, the transmission slips and makes noise, the list goes on. On top of it all it's next to impossible to find info on how to maintain the car yourself.

nightmare in the form of a car
By Andrea on 03/25/08 00:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

This car is very unreliable. It's one bad thing after another. First, maintenance. Once one thing falls off, something else will, like an endless cycle. (i.e. plastic paneling,glove box handle, cup holder, and even door cover). then, the light indicators on my dashboard always pop up. like for the airbags, brake switch, and even the wind shield fluid. The epc light comes on constantly, and locks the car in park for hours, even days. It gets really really bad gas mileage. You can only drive about 200 miles until you need to fill up again. I think this car was put together with Elmer's glue and chewing gum. not even sturdy enough to consider super glue. Don't waste your money and life.

I Love VW
By mikeyju on 06/17/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I love how fast the car is and how comfy it is. The brakes are very good and smooth, and the engine is also very smooth. It is just such a fun car to drive and it has so much in it that you wouldn't even imagine.