Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

OK CAR
By Miguel

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

i bought this car with 89000 miles on it,really qood conditionn. This car is really qood as lonq as you have enough money to support it. The pieces for this car can leave you broke. But other than that.its a wonderful car to have. I recommend only if you have money to invest, but for those with first cars,or no money should look for something much more simpler.

The interior lights, Small car, Spacious back

Exterior design should be more detailed

Outstanding Car
By bhdfield

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 vr6 jetta was bought new, and now has 159k miles on it. Just replaced original front pads, rotors, and control arm bushings. I still have the original clutch. High quality components. There is no squeak, rattle, or false noise. The leather seats look like new, as does the clear coat, which I did not ruin by allowing ham fisted kids to scratch to oblivion. These are very well designed cars. There are a handful of weak components, with easy solutions. Coil packs crack after 70k miles. Solution: epoxy, and it will fix it and last forever. Some plastic parts in the cooling system will need to be replaced after 130-150k miles. Big deal, it's a car with miles on it.

My original cup holders, which I still use, did not break, because I am not an idiot with mechanical devices. I love the exterior design. High quality leather and stitching, no rattles at all on railroad tracks or bumps. VR6 still pulls like a banshee, but keep those plug wires and coil in shape

Better wiper blades. I just replaced my first one after 10 years and 157K miles on the passenger side. Left side still good. I use rainex sometimes.

Erin's review
By erin

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I have a love hate relationship with this car. Love the way it looks, hate the way it performs. Since day one, nothing but problems, currently working with vofa to try to get it fixed (cat convert anyone?). 10 y. O., just turned 60,000 miles because I'm afraid to take it anywhere for fear I won't get there -- or back home. Cup holders, glove box hinge, arm rest: broken. Currently, bucking like a bronco. Do not buy VW.

looks cute

EVERYTHING! make something that doesn't fall apart.

it's a soild 8
By thickandwide

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

Probably the best car I've ever owned. Sites like this mostly attract negative reviews from upset consumers who don't understand how to maintain a vehicle. The Jetta has a reliable VR6 motor that is both strong and economical and came with a lot of perks for a 2000 car: CD changer, moon roof, "front trac" stability control, heated seats, Monsoon 8-speaker stero, and heated leather seats to name a few. My only complaint, as with most owners, is that this car chews up water pumps - and it has two of them (an electrical and mechanical) and yes they are expensive to repair. Also VW needs to make it easier to change the headlamps. Basic maintenance should be easier.

A strong motor is a must have, but the heated seats are fabulous. Another good design is the "tube" style oil filter which allows you to go between 5000-7000 miles between oil changes helping to keep the cost of maintenance down. The 5-30W oil doesn't hurt either. Two thumbs up 4 the VW engineers

200hp motor for a bit more power, an additional 3" of leg room in the back seat, solve the water pump issue, perforated leather AC seats like the BMW 7-series, 4-motion, projector headlamps (that are easy to access), stock cold air induction would be nice also.

Dream car turned money pit
By Krystyna

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new with 12 miles on it. The car ran great for the 1st 3 years. My problem 1st started with an o2 sensor that was replaced in the 1st year of ownership-and my cup holder was replaced twice and the 3rd one broke but was not covered by the warranty. My glove box handle also broke off not to mention the arm rest broke. Then in '04 the j-joint snapped and caused the steering to fail. '05 I had to replace a cracked oil pan. Then in '08 the radiator blew ($500.00). Then the timing belt fell off, smashed the power steering pumu and wrapped around the tension arm ($750.00 w/o a new $350.00 tension arm) I've had 2 batteries, re-replaced the 02 sensor and today my car won't start.

the design inside and out

I suggest VW take a look at Toyota's and Hondas. I could improve my car by driving it off a cliff. $2000.00 in repairs in less than a year on a 9 year old car??? They could really work on the interior tho', considering everything broke-including my electrical clock.