Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2000 VW Jetta GL TDI
By GLM

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love the low RPM torque the little diesel puts out. It requires only minimal changes in throttle settings to climb hills. My automatic transmission has been perfect. Timing belt changes are the norm for all current vehicles and this is an somewhat expensive procedure. Not the best build quality and lots of rattles and other noises have developed. Occassional "Check Engine" lights but VW's seem to have these and they usually go away on their own. This car should not be a daily driver for a non-mechanic. Too much trouble on the little things. Expensive to repair. Really bad CD changer in trunk. 600+ miles to the tank.

Favorite Features

The engine, with it's wonderful low RPM torque. Great mileage, even with an automatic transmission (38 town, 45 highway). Starts immediately. Good trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality in interior. Better audio components, especially the CD players and speakers. More accurate speedometer and fuel gauge. Better seat adjustment mechanics.

Jetta TDI
By Georgia

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this TDI for 6 yrs and have been very happy. It has over 300k and is running strong. Every feature still works (heated seats). We get an adverage of 51 mpg. and we just purchased a second one for my husband.

Favorite Features

heated seats, comfortable seats, sunroof and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders. Sun glass holder.

I love my tdi
By diesel3276

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta tdi very reliable and never had any Major problems besides the plastic cover on the bottom of the jetta. The only other thing is the timing belt I haven't had it fixed yet because it is 900.00 and nothing can happen to the car if I don't get a new one. The gas mileage is amazing I probably fill it up every three months in gets about 45-50 mpg. And it the most fun to drive car I have ever had in my life I can't wait till I get the new jetta tdi

This is MY car!
By Marcus

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've read some of the reviews here, so I have chosen to write something positive. Dealerships are Robbing you! The Idea of these Tdi's Is to maintain them properly. And knowledge is your best friend. My Tdi is amazing.. Excellent power and fun to drive. Yes there are electrical issues, but that is a far shot from getting 400 to 500 thousand miles out of your engine life. Get a mechanic that is competent and KNOWS the tdi and you are set.. I do ALL of my maintenance myself, How? Research. And these cars are easy to work on. Don't let the vw dealerships take you hard earned money.

Favorite Features

50+ mpg. Style, I cant stop looking at my car with wheels and window tint.. Looks beautiful. Performance. Many upgrades that have increased the longevity of the motor. And suspension performance. Smooth ride and corners like a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

More durable electrical components. Emissions control, is less than satisfactory. The intake gets clogged and you have to clean the sticky mess.

I love this car
By Gene

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've had this car as my daily driver since I bought it with 15,000 miles. 50,000 miles later I have no regrets. It's the base package with 5-speed, electric nothing (except power locks) and the optional factory CD changer. It's the perfect commuter car averaging 38-44 mpg. I now live in Wisconsin and this past winter, it started every day except for one 8 degree morning where the battery gave up. Even though it only has 90 hp, the 150 ft/lb of torque means it has no problems getting off the line or passing cars at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

The great gas mileage, comfortable interior, responsive brakes and steering. This car looks marvelous. The engine is perfect for highway driving - it actually gets smoother the faster you go.

Suggested Improvements

The front cup holders have broken three times. When the EGR plugged up at 40,000 miles, I had to spend $1,100 to clean it. I'll likely have to do it again at 80,000 miles. Don't lose your keys: It's $150 for the base key and $250 for the remote. The front seats get old after 200 miles.