Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

High Miles
By driver111

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Jrtta that I bought new as a company car. I bought it from my company after. I now have 268,000 miles on it. It has the 2.0 gas engine, 5spd manual trans. I only have had a few issues with the car. I regulary change the timing belt, and water pump and tune up parts as you should. The only other parts that I have replaced is the Coil Pack. That I replaced myself and was very simple. I would recomend buying a NON Turbo Jetta to anyone. They are very dependable and with care and yes some maint. it will go forever. My Daughter took the car out of state to college and she loves that it gets 28mpg. It's been a great car and my daughter loves all the options that it has.

Really great car!!
By ejames513

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed manual brand new. It now has 210,000 miles on it and runs the same as it did in 2000. Never left me stranded or broke down. Only major items replaced is the timing chain, water pump and battery which is common in any other car. As long as you change your oil every 3 months and flush the fluids regularly it should last a long time. The only problems I've had with the car is the glove box hinge broke and the CD player works half the time. The car is not the fastest car but it takes off pretty quick and zooms around corners with no problem. Other than that I would recommend this car and would buy another. I'll let you guys know when it hits 300,000 miles!

Needs better sound system and radio.

Well done my good and faithful servant...well done
By rilezz13

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a real champ. I bought my silver Jetta back when I was a teenager (I'm in my 20s now). Mine had the little 2.0 4-cylinder engine with the 5-speed stick. The engine only made a 115 hp but its favorite speed on the highway was 80 mph...it cruised there quietly and effortlessly. The reliability was nothing short of wonderful. I felt like I could utterly thrash the engine and it would (and was) just fine with that. The doors shut with a nice muted "thunk" and the whole car felt like it was as tough as a mini panzer. I sold it with over 120,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2002 Passat (also a great choice).

The switchblade remote key (impressed EVERYONE), the solidity of the vehicle, the reliability, the simplicity of the engine, attention to detail, driving dynamics, the awesome interior nighttime lighting (sophisticated), the CD changer, and the way the trunk opens.

I didn't like that the VERY durable engine could be destroyed as the result of the timing belt snapping. However, VW took care of this by replacing the timing belt with a timing chain in 2005.

tough love
By frank

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Lets see this is my fourth volkswagen ive owned 3 jetta's and one passat. I bought my jetta with 157,000 miles on it. the first week i had it I had to fix the water pump and the radiator fan ($500) after 5,000 miles I fixed the exhaust leak($250) then at 166000 the day before my florida road trip the transmisson blew I got that fixed as well costing ($1900)after that came a muffler repair again costing($175) the last issue comes a week later, again with the water pump timing belt & drive belt costing me ($425) Other than that list in less than a year I still love my volkswagen, its fun to drive speaker sound is great! gas milage i get 200 to the tank eh! vw is costly when it breaks it happens

premium sound,sporty, love the dash lights,sunroof, heated seats

all of the improvments i would list, i think vw master with the newer jettas! cant wait to buy the 2011 jetta for $15595!

nightmare
By Tom

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had 6 sensors replaced at the same time, engine light came back on. Now the car went back to the shop and the mechanic said come get it I can't fix it. Now I have to let it warm up before it will go at all it will start and idle but stepping on the gas it dies. I shows differant codes at differant times. This car drives great I have owned it since new, but the things that go wrong no one can fix. What happened to "Its simple, but it gets you there" Everything on this car is complicated and the engineering is goofy (eg the rear seat cupholder)and everything is just differant so no one can work on it.