Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

good car with a 2.0L none turbo motor. ff
By Brian

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

replaced just about everything on the car threw out the 5 years i have owned the car. so a good car if you can do the work your self and find the correct aftermarket parts to use as a lot of the OEM parts are pricey as well. If you were having someone ells do the work then this would be a more expensive car to own. Always keep on top of the timing belt changes with new water pump and tensioner. Iv replaced the clutch, new drive shafts, ball joints twice sins iv had it, recharged the A/C system a few times, gone threw a few sets of tires in the last 70k miles iv had it. will drive the car till the motor goes, then probably put another motor in the car and keep driving it. car drives like a go kart.

Trading in for another Jetta
By Jessie

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great economical car that is comfortable for all passengers. Mine survived some 550 mile work weeks and 12 miles of gravel roads a day. The suspension took a hit here and there but I treated it like a farm truck from time to time. Mine still runs and drives great at almost 172k. I'm in the market for a new 5spd Jetta.

High Miles
By driver111

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Jrtta that I bought new as a company car. I bought it from my company after. I now have 268,000 miles on it. It has the 2.0 gas engine, 5spd manual trans. I only have had a few issues with the car. I regulary change the timing belt, and water pump and tune up parts as you should. The only other parts that I have replaced is the Coil Pack. That I replaced myself and was very simple. I would recomend buying a NON Turbo Jetta to anyone. They are very dependable and with care and yes some maint. it will go forever. My Daughter took the car out of state to college and she loves that it gets 28mpg. It's been a great car and my daughter loves all the options that it has.

Really great car!!
By ejames513

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed manual brand new. It now has 210,000 miles on it and runs the same as it did in 2000. Never left me stranded or broke down. Only major items replaced is the timing chain, water pump and battery which is common in any other car. As long as you change your oil every 3 months and flush the fluids regularly it should last a long time. The only problems I've had with the car is the glove box hinge broke and the CD player works half the time. The car is not the fastest car but it takes off pretty quick and zooms around corners with no problem. Other than that I would recommend this car and would buy another. I'll let you guys know when it hits 300,000 miles!

Needs better sound system and radio.

Well done my good and faithful servant...well done
By rilezz13

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a real champ. I bought my silver Jetta back when I was a teenager (I'm in my 20s now). Mine had the little 2.0 4-cylinder engine with the 5-speed stick. The engine only made a 115 hp but its favorite speed on the highway was 80 mph...it cruised there quietly and effortlessly. The reliability was nothing short of wonderful. I felt like I could utterly thrash the engine and it would (and was) just fine with that. The doors shut with a nice muted "thunk" and the whole car felt like it was as tough as a mini panzer. I sold it with over 120,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2002 Passat (also a great choice).

The switchblade remote key (impressed EVERYONE), the solidity of the vehicle, the reliability, the simplicity of the engine, attention to detail, driving dynamics, the awesome interior nighttime lighting (sophisticated), the CD changer, and the way the trunk opens.

I didn't like that the VERY durable engine could be destroyed as the result of the timing belt snapping. However, VW took care of this by replacing the timing belt with a timing chain in 2005.

• SUV