2000 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
High Miles
By driver111 on 01/25/12 09:46 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Jrtta that I bought new as a company car. I bought it from my company after. I now have 268,000 miles on it. It has the 2.0 gas engine, 5spd manual trans. I only have had a few issues with the car. I regulary change the timing belt, and water pump and tune up parts as you should. The only other parts that I have replaced is the Coil Pack. That I replaced myself and was very simple. I would recomend buying a NON Turbo Jetta to anyone. They are very dependable and with care and yes some maint. it will go forever. My Daughter took the car out of state to college and she loves that it gets 28mpg. It's been a great car and my daughter loves all the options that it has.

Really great car!!
By ejames513 on 07/30/11 17:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed manual brand new. It now has 210,000 miles on it and runs the same as it did in 2000. Never left me stranded or broke down. Only major items replaced is the timing chain, water pump and battery which is common in any other car. As long as you change your oil every 3 months and flush the fluids regularly it should last a long time. The only problems I've had with the car is the glove box hinge broke and the CD player works half the time. The car is not the fastest car but it takes off pretty quick and zooms around corners with no problem. Other than that I would recommend this car and would buy another. I'll let you guys know when it hits 300,000 miles!

Well done my good and faithful servant...well done
By rilezz13 on 12/22/10 15:31 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car was a real champ. I bought my silver Jetta back when I was a teenager (I'm in my 20s now). Mine had the little 2.0 4-cylinder engine with the 5-speed stick. The engine only made a 115 hp but its favorite speed on the highway was 80 mph...it cruised there quietly and effortlessly. The reliability was nothing short of wonderful. I felt like I could utterly thrash the engine and it would (and was) just fine with that. The doors shut with a nice muted "thunk" and the whole car felt like it was as tough as a mini panzer. I sold it with over 120,000 miles on it. I now drive a 2002 Passat (also a great choice).

tough love
By frank on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Lets see this is my fourth volkswagen ive owned 3 jetta's and one passat. I bought my jetta with 157,000 miles on it. the first week i had it I had to fix the water pump and the radiator fan ($500) after 5,000 miles I fixed the exhaust leak($250) then at 166000 the day before my florida road trip the transmisson blew I got that fixed as well costing ($1900)after that came a muffler repair again costing($175) the last issue comes a week later, again with the water pump timing belt & drive belt costing me ($425) Other than that list in less than a year I still love my volkswagen, its fun to drive speaker sound is great! gas milage i get 200 to the tank eh! vw is costly when it breaks it happens

nightmare
By Tom on 09/03/10 12:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had 6 sensors replaced at the same time, engine light came back on. Now the car went back to the shop and the mechanic said come get it I can't fix it. Now I have to let it warm up before it will go at all it will start and idle but stepping on the gas it dies. I shows differant codes at differant times. This car drives great I have owned it since new, but the things that go wrong no one can fix. What happened to "Its simple, but it gets you there" Everything on this car is complicated and the engineering is goofy (eg the rear seat cupholder)and everything is just differant so no one can work on it.

Good car to have if you take care of it
By j.fernandez on 07/30/10 18:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Yea I bought my car from some guy who treated it like crap, when i bought it from him it had like 119,000 miles and a lot of stuff was wrong with it not anything extremely serious but it was a bit costly, i fixed every single thing that was wrong with the car and after that i never had problems with it again. very reliable car to have and very good on miles. thanx a million vw!

Great First Car!!!
By Chris Selph on 01/18/10 10:11 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3500 from a military family in August of 2009 at 98,000 miles. I have had no issues with the car since The previous owners took very good care of the car. As far as interior problems the only things that have gone for me are the clove compartment hinge and cupholder. Luckily I know a friend who has an extra cupholder, so that fixes that issue and the glove compartment isnt that big of a deal. I get about 32-40 mpg's depending how I drive. Also I take very good care of the engine and components and haven't had any problems yet. Being at 102,000 miles I am considering getting the timing belt/water pump changed.

Just a good car
By pthomps on 12/22/09 17:36 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 2001. Sure, the window lifts were quick to go out, and there were several other minor recalls, but it keeps on ticking. I use it primarily as a commuter car, driving about 40 miles a day. Love the mpg, love the styling. I'm just now approaching 100k miles. I sunk $1,500 into it recently for preventative maintenance (incl. New timing belt), but consider it a good investment. Interior wear and tear has taken its toll - the glove box arm is broken, as is the arm rest latch, but I can live with that. The car looks great, is fun to drive (every once in a while is quite sluggish in 1st gear), but has been a great car.

Why are so many people complaining?
By SkydiverMN on 09/02/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I currently have 165k on my Jetta GLS 2.0L. Besides some recall issues (window motor module, and a catalytic converter) the car's been fine. Sure, there are wearable items that go, and I recently did a suspension replacement (tie rods, ball joints, lower control arms, struts, and rear shocks) that cost about $600 for parts. Otherwise, it's a solid runner and is fun to drive. Would I but another? Sure. All cars eventually have most (if not all) of the issues that I've run into.

An endless nightmare to own
By calltenten on 04/17/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

The terrible 2000 Jetta 2.0 GLS that we bought in Aug. 1999. 1. Mar. 17, 2000. B-pillar trim cover fall off. 2. Oct. 18, 2000. Left rear exterior door handle broken of no reason. Retainer for handle had fallen inside door panel. - Even we seldom use the rear doors. 3. Feb. 12, 2001. Driver outside mirror defroster not function. 4. Mar 2, 2001. Driver's door lock ring broken. 5. Mar 7, 2001. When AC on, both right and left turn signals stay on and not blinking. Windshield wiper streak away when wipers on. 6. Sep. 5, 2002. Front lower valance fall off of no reason. 7. Sep. 15, 2003. Engine light starts on and off. Replace O2 sensor. One week later, engine light on again.