Used 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Terrible. You'd be better off riding a bike!
By Izabella

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

If you intend to buy this car, you need to reconsider. I purchased my 2000 Jetta 1.8 in March of 2013.
This is the breakdown of the repairs I've made since March of 2013
-Bushings, Stab Links $300
-Starter $250
-Front Axle $200
-Power Steering Pump $250
I've done regular maintenance such as Tires, Brakes, Flushes e.tc. $500.
I've put more into the vehicle, but after all of the repairs I've had, it's hard to remember every single thing that's been done.
Currently, the Heater Core is out. This will cost upwards of $1200. (I'm unwilling to put this much into it).
By this point, I would have been able to invest a good sum into a new car. It seems like every 3 months, something goes out that costs a minimum of $250 to fix. This past winter, I went to roll down the window and the crank broke off. The vehicle is cheaply made. It's become a money pit. If you want to spend as much into a used, terrible car as you'd like to spend into a new car, then a 2000 Jetta is for you. I wish I had known how awful the vehicle is before I had purchased it. It's very disappointing because the transmission has been running strong, even with 184k miles. At this time, I'd have thought I've put so much into the car that it'd be running smooth. Unfortunately, about $5,000 later and an initial cost of $2,700, this thing runs like junk. It's so terrible, it's become known as the "money pit" in my family. If you look at this car, you may as well just start walking because that's all you'll be doing when you own this vehicle.

Can't afford to drive it
By Brad

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has got a beautiful interior, nice looking, body not rusting, but my wife and I are scared to take it anywhere. It sometimes starts and sometimes not. The mechanics can't find the problem, this gets expensive. All repairs on it are expensive. I'm a 200 lb man and not much room for me. I have a sore back and this car is very uncomfortable. My old beat up Dodge van is fine. I'd never buy another VW. It's not dependable. We have put so many repairs in it already. I will ride my Harley any day, much more reliable

Nice interior

Repairs not so expensive.

Love Hate Relationship
By Jon

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for five years, 2000-2005 and putting on 130,000 miles, I have to say i miss the car for its performance (modified of course), and the amenities for the price ie heated leather seats sunroof etc. I don't miss the car for its known problems, mass air flow sensor, window regulator clips, coil packs, etc. Overall i believe if i had kept the car stock i wouldn't have that many problems with it, but that wouldn't have been fun! Keep the car bone stock and it shouldn't give you as much problems, but good luck avoiding its known problems!

Turbocharged 4 cyl, easy to modify, for 22k new included heated leather seats sunroof traction control

Should have had a 5 speed automatic rather than 4 speed, but NOT the craptronic 5 speed automatic!

I had high hopes, but...
By Lauren

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

The 2000 VW Jetta is a nice looking car, fun to drive, gets pretty good mpg BUT do not buy this car if you don't want lots of repairs, very, very frequent and expensive repairs. The timing belt went at about 83,000 and I had to get the entire engine remanufactured. I've also had to replace the alternator, the battery twice and some other usual wear and tear pieces. Also, the front bumper is way too low and it gets ripped off easily. The problem is that VW designed the car to be repairable only at the dealership, therefor, more expensive. All in all, I like the car, maybe the newer models are better, but I do not recommend buying this car, at least not from this year.

I really like the interior design, nice moonroof, great soundsystem, comfortable seating. Front and rear cupholders are nice.

I would suggest mostly mechanical and design improvements. I think the new models satisfy the design flaws, I don't about the cheap parts they use though.

Love VW but it is not Reliable
By Paul

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car was great until it hit 60,000 miles. The O2 sensor, vaccuum hose, turbo valve, strut mounts (poor design as they always break) all needed replacement and the check engine light is still on! We also replaced the window regulators but VW was nice enough to offer a good faith warranty. The locks don't always work on every door and the temp gauge works when it wants to. Overall this car is a headache but I love driving it when it works. The engine is awesome... too bad the quality of the car stinks and it is not reliable! I am not sure if I would buy a VW again.

The turbo, 5-speed transmission, and smooth ride for a small car.

Fix the electrical issues and stop using the rubber coating on the interior. It scratches and rubs off.