2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Can't afford to drive it
By Brad on 06/16/10 13:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has got a beautiful interior, nice looking, body not rusting, but my wife and I are scared to take it anywhere. It sometimes starts and sometimes not. The mechanics can't find the problem, this gets expensive. All repairs on it are expensive. I'm a 200 lb man and not much room for me. I have a sore back and this car is very uncomfortable. My old beat up Dodge van is fine. I'd never buy another VW. It's not dependable. We have put so many repairs in it already. I will ride my Harley any day, much more reliable

Love Hate Relationship
By Jon on 05/22/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for five years, 2000-2005 and putting on 130,000 miles, I have to say i miss the car for its performance (modified of course), and the amenities for the price ie heated leather seats sunroof etc. I don't miss the car for its known problems, mass air flow sensor, window regulator clips, coil packs, etc. Overall i believe if i had kept the car stock i wouldn't have that many problems with it, but that wouldn't have been fun! Keep the car bone stock and it shouldn't give you as much problems, but good luck avoiding its known problems!

I had high hopes, but...
By Lauren on 04/11/09 05:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

The 2000 VW Jetta is a nice looking car, fun to drive, gets pretty good mpg BUT do not buy this car if you don't want lots of repairs, very, very frequent and expensive repairs. The timing belt went at about 83,000 and I had to get the entire engine remanufactured. I've also had to replace the alternator, the battery twice and some other usual wear and tear pieces. Also, the front bumper is way too low and it gets ripped off easily. The problem is that VW designed the car to be repairable only at the dealership, therefor, more expensive. All in all, I like the car, maybe the newer models are better, but I do not recommend buying this car, at least not from this year.

Love VW but it is not Reliable
By Paul on 05/22/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car was great until it hit 60,000 miles. The O2 sensor, vaccuum hose, turbo valve, strut mounts (poor design as they always break) all needed replacement and the check engine light is still on! We also replaced the window regulators but VW was nice enough to offer a good faith warranty. The locks don't always work on every door and the temp gauge works when it wants to. Overall this car is a headache but I love driving it when it works. The engine is awesome... too bad the quality of the car stinks and it is not reliable! I am not sure if I would buy a VW again.

Fly Jetta
By George Spicer on 04/05/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 VW Jetta and the performce is good, but the motor can put out so much more power. How do i know? I have a stg-3 turbo kit in mine, and I'm puting down about 260 hp the ground with the factory engine.

Excellent if Manual
By Rob on 07/02/05 11:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I just recently bought this car as my first manual car so i had to learn on it. After quickly picking up in 3 days now i love driving this car. Verrryy fun car to drive and nothing had broken. smooth clutch and good kick with the turbo

Keep the Good times rolling!
By Dave B on 06/19/05 10:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Had some initial problems with minor emissions and secondary systems but dealer took care of it. Probably due to previous owner nut using 91 octane and keeping up service records. Enigne runs excellent and very smooth power. Ride is solid and very comfortable for long trips.

The truth about the 1.8t Jetta
By Sillybilly on 02/24/05 12:52 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Want to know about the 1.8t Jetta? This engine had a faulty design from the start. It basically just tries to pull too much power from a 4 cylinder, which is very hard on the engine. The engine has "hot spots," which can cause oil viscosity and break down, and lead to major problems without warning. I put 4, yes 4 oil pumps in this car, with no warranty help from Volkswagen. If you do not get all your service done at a dealer (an overpriced dealer) don't ever expect to be covered by any warranty. I've spent over $3,000 on this car that has 75k miles on it. Volkswagen doesn't want anyone to know about their design flaw. Of course in their 1.8t Passats they have offered an extended warranties.

Great looks - No reliability
By Nathan on 01/25/05 23:31 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

Electronic problem with ABS system. Radiator sprung a leak. Electronic problems with air flow. Electronic problems with rear breaks. Master brake cylinder had an internal leak. Brake light switch is defective. Horse power and fuel efficiency are lower than spec. Power windows do not operate properly. Side mirror adjustment dial poorly made, for that matter there are cheap plastic parts throughout this car. Arm rest latch broke, ashtray for year passengers will not stay shut. Lower black grills in front of car fall out. Front bumber cover pops off. Black paint around dash board peels off. Cloth interior poorly made and glued down. The door locks have barbs on them that pinch skin!!

This Car Rocks!!
By Andy S on 01/24/05 19:46 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is well matched to the 1.8T engine. I have chipped the ECU and it made a ton of difference. The car is strong, looks great, handles... what's not to like oh, yea, great on gas too!!.