2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
unreliable dream car
By Dan on 12/15/09 14:09 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my TDI used with 20,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles. The car is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage but that's all I can say good about it. I have had trouble with A/C 3 times, pwr windows, hardware falling off, engine immobilizer, light bulbs, radio reception, and ... The worst part is the quality of service. I have tried 3 different dealers. I've had 8 VW's over the years but this is the last one!!

great great mpg
By leo1979 on 06/04/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

great car it sips diesel great mileage i drive 236 miles a day with only a problem with the a/c sent it to shop 3 times different shops

I'd still be driving it but...
By Dad on 12/05/08 14:42 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

Loved this car. Had 8 miles when I drove off lot, it was "retired" at 100K. Drove it like a high school kid and got 45 mpg. Took good care of it mechanically, synthetic oil changed twice a year, regular dealer maintenance (mostly). Went 90K miles on original timing belt (recommended at 60K). I tried "babying" it to improve mpg but got worse. It liked going to redline on every shift. I'd still be driving it and expected to go another 100K if my daughter had not totaled it (she walked away with bumps and bruises only).

Big trade-off
By TC on 07/25/07 04:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 2001. Since then, it has been in the dealer countless times. It has gone through several MAF sensors (expensive!), some turbo work, and plenty of recalls. The interior seems cheap, although the gauge color scheme is a nice touch. It has surprisingly sporty feel in the corners, especially for an economy car. We have the TDI version, which regularly gets 50-55 mpg. I would buy this car ONLY for the mileage, since it has more than made up for the cost of repairs over time - especially with gas prices these days.

Last VW That I'll Buy
By cardoe on 06/11/06 07:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

This is my third VW. I've had one A3 and two A4 bodies. Both A4's have been TDIs. This one was bought 'certified' but I noticed the cruise control light indicator didn't work and headlight was out. The past two years have been okay. It had only only one engine hiccup - the master flow air had something wrong and the car wouldn't start. The dealer fixed it, no problem. However, I've had recent problems with thedealer (routine maintenance checkup rendered the brakes in operable - twice) and electrical issues with driver door abound! I can't get the alarm to disarm after unlocking door. So when I start car after opening door alarm goes off and then have to get out lock door and unlock it - sometimes I have to do this four times. The passenger door lock does not release, I have to manually open it.

I'd Buy Again
By RunWithBenny on 05/10/06 10:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

These little cars are perfect for commuting. I've put on 60,000 miles since I purchased it and have only had to service the timing belt and clean the intake system due to diesel soot. I was unsure what to expect for maintenance with a diesel, but I've been very satisfied. This car is too small for a family, but has great pickup when driving solo. Get a manual transmission if you are considering this car - the autos are much slower!

mechanics needed
By pete reno on 08/14/05 17:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jetta TDI Sedan brand new, the car pulled to the right severely, after months of letter writing phone calls, and endless visits to the servise dept, VW gave me another car. After 5,000 miles in the new car the steering wheel shakes severely. I have made numerous visits to the dealer with absolutely no help. VW of America was worse, I would never ever own another Volkswagen.

2000 Jetta TDI
By EEROB on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

No other vehicle sold in NA can beat this combination of fuel economy and performance.

My TDI
By provence1997 on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent car. Great ride, mileage, handling.

i don't know what i would do without it
By lorene on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

I have my Jetta TDI for 4 years, drive everyday to work, 34 miles one way. never left me sit. Even took it on a trip of over 2,000 miles. It did great, no problem finding fuel.