Never buy a Jetta!
By Unnimpressed! on
1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)
I boutgh this car a little over a year ago and so far, not only have the glove box, cup holders and electrical problems arose, I have also replaced the transmission twice in the last 20,000 miles! Also, the fuel line, and the negative battery cables! The car is horrible! Since I've gotten it with only 50,000 miles on it, it has done nothing but drain my wallet! I also had to replace the cv axcel twice, and rust me, I'm not rough on my vehicles! I only drive it on the highway for th most part, just to and from work. It is poorly engineered, and has nothing but one problem after the next! It's cute, and gets 37mpg highway and about 32- 34mpg in town, but other than looks and gas, I HATE IT!
Favorite Features
Look, and mpg
Suggested Improvements
Everything besides mpg!!!
By carguyexpert
on 02/16/11 19:22 PM (PST)

I have owned 2 Jettas 1999 and a 1995. One Got into an accident and had a little over 175,000 miles and the other is still running till this day at 206,000. Jettas are great reliable cars. Unfortunatly you either got the very few bad ones out of the bunch or the previous owner just mistreated it before it came to you. My aunt has one that is over 250,000 miles and running. If these cars are well maintained they run like champs for a very very long time.