Loved this car!!
By Gail on
1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)
I bought this car when it was three years old, and it drove like new. I'd been wanting a Jetta for some time and it was everything I hoped it would be. The car is very comfy and everything on the dash and console was within my reach. In the five years I had it, it only had a few engine troubles, and it never cost more than $200 to fix. I never had the $1000+ repair bills like with previous cars (Nissan, Plymouth, Dodge). It served me well for the five years and 120K miles on it. I would still like to have kept it for a few more years, but I just got rear-ended and sadly it's totaled, so now I'm getting a 2005 Jetta Wagon! I love these cars!
Favorite Features
The style, the interior, I was comfy even on the longest drives. The dash lights are blue on black - very cool! Velour seats are soft and easy to clean. The car handled very well, smooth driving. Good, strong engine, good acceleration. It was a very safe, solid car (it was totaled, but I was not!)
Suggested Improvements
My only beefs are minor: the floormats would not stay in place, the snaps holding them down either broke or the floormats ripped off of them; the cupholders didn't work well and wouldn't hold large cups. Legroom was cramped for taller people, but I'm 5'4" and had no problems even in the back seat.