1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Lots of Trouble

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Review

Lots of Trouble
By neveragain on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I put a lot of work into this car when I bought it used. It only had 65,000 miles miles on it. At 75,000 miles it had a major break down and I had to put $3,000 of work into it. Also, this car's body lean around corners is terrible. I think it contributed to the car spinning out twice. Both times I was going around a corner at less than 10 mph more than the posted limit. I've never had a car spin out on me before, and I have driven a lot of cars. On the upside, the body is quite sturdy and didn't damage much on impact though the seatbelt injured me. The transmission on the automatic never seemed to want to shift up even though I had it serviced when I bought it. It could have been abused, but still.... This car was a bit of a money pit.

The heater and a/c are superb, the sound system is good, the seat is comfortable and I am large-framed. It does pretty well on gas. It looks pretty cute, even though it's older. It has a solid feel to it overall.

The cranking recline feature on the front seats is medieval torture. If you have the battery replaced as I had to have, be prepared to fork over $60 to the VW dealership to get your stereo code. That's horrible and annoying. The front passenger's power window died soon after I got it and the glovebox was already broken.