1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: It's a Love Hate thing

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Review

It's a Love Hate thing
By LJ on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car was so much fun to drive, I looked forward to winding roads and long trips into the country. The later life expenses car become very costly which is why I finally traded it in. If I could have done the repairs myself I would still have the car. The timing belt every 60000 miles $600-800, brakes $1600, tires every 25000-30000 miles $500 clutch at VW $1500 and the final straw was the triple whammy of catalytic converter $1000, timing belt $800 and shocks $800. The parts that were defective VW repaired under Warranty, thank goodness. Window mechanism, rear window, first set of tires, the dealer refused to believe I went through the tires in 25000 miles..

Favorite Features

The inside of the car was like a spaceship with Blue dashboard lights and very comfortable wrap around seats. I truly enjoyed th driving experience, but not the cost of repair experience.

Suggested Improvements

The use of sturdier parts would improve the maintainabilty of the car quite a bit. the car is over engineered and can be a pain.. An example is taking out the battery and having the radio go into anti theft mode and needing to reprogram the radio to get it to work using a VW proprietary code..