1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: I love my TDI

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Review

I love my TDI
By Tarheel TDI on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Sorry it seems almost everyone else dislikes their Jetta. I have over 90K on my TDI and have never had a problem with my O2 sensor, transmission, electrical system, light bulbs, brakes, door ooze, or windows. MAF going bad at 85K and water pump wearing out at 90K are the only mechanical items that gave me heartburn. I empathize with the folks who have seasonal rattles in the interior as that is my only "major" peeve in a car that is fun/comfortable to drive and gets better than 50 MPG on the highway. Our other car is a new 2001.5 Passat which has over 30K of nearly trouble free miles. Our next car will likely be a Jetta TDI wagon or a Passat B6 TDI wagon.

Fuel economy, handling, ride comfort, reliability, style

rework cupholder, done in 2003 models, longer life on timing belt, improve maf longevity, reduce interior rattles in dash and c pillar, increase trunk deck opening size, have trip computer available as option on TDI.