1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Great Car

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS (1999.5) Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great Car
By tengage on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have had two Jettas, a '97 and this '99. These cars are built for drivers. I have had no major problems with my '99. I had one window fall off the track, a mass air flow sensor (replaced via recall), and had to have the coolant tank resovoir replaced. All were covered under my extended warrenty. In total, I've spent about $180 on repairs in the 5 years I've owned it. It burns more oil than other cars I've owned, about a half a quart every 3000 miles, but I drive hard and my old Jetta was the same. One complaint is that the front bumper is shaped like a hook and will latch on to a curb and not let go.

Handling, but the stock Michelins did the car no justice. This car is super reliable, good gas efficiency, and a great value.

Re-engineer the hook shaped black portion of the front spoiler, I've seen several Jettas with front bumpers that have hooked one too many curbs.