1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Don't Waste Your Money

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLX VR6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

Don't Waste Your Money
By VWMoneyPit on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had a '70 Bug in school that needed infrequent attention and which I remember fondly. Those memories led me to purchase the Jetta thinking that the quality of the Jetta would be all that I remembered Volkswagen being; i.e., a maufacturer of quality automobiles. That is not the case. My Jetta has had numerous, costly electrical, engine wiring and emission problems (two catylytic converters in ten years), two broken glove boxes (how long have they been making cars?) and atrocious customer service. All of that ensures that I will never buy a VW again. My four purchases before the Jetta were Toyotas and Hondas - not as much fun to drive but trouble-free and much, much kinder on my pocketbook.

Not many, unfortunately. Comfortable seating, good handling and great acceleration (VR6). But, a good, reliable car is much more than that.

Much better quality: glove box hinges that don't break under normal use, an emission sytem that doesn't fail regulary, engine wiring that doesn't require frequent replacement, a mass air sensor without rapid built-in obsolescence. In short, a car that can compete with Honda and Toyota.