1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Tired of getting it to the shop
By mtj on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Like so many other owners, I've loved my Jetta-it is stylish and fun to drive, but I am tired of taking it to the shop every 8-10 weeks for something or other to be fixed! The things that brake are like others: glove box twice, motor to gas cap misfuntioned, tail lights always going out, etc. Not critical, but they are annoying. Seems like as soon as I have left the dealership, the next thing goes. VW has been good about incurring the expense for many repairs, but I am tired of arranging rides to the dealership to pick it up. It'll break my heart, but it is time to end this relationship. I won't make the same mistake again

Problems with Jetta
By S. Adams on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I purchased this car thinking I wouldn't have a lot of repairs. Numerous problems have occurred: oxygen sensor replaced 3 times, driver visor replaced, cup holder replaced(2) passenger seat spring replaced, catalytic converter replaced, air conditioner compressor replaced, 1 keyless remote doesn't work, rust in trunk, engine light on 4 times, batteries (2), mass air flow meter replaced, wires replaced, throttle body replaced, timing belt, V-belt, 2 tensioners replaced, car jerks when changing gears (dealer can't explain), ticking noise under hood (dealer cant explain); not to mention regular maintenance. I will never purchase another VW vehicle.

Earlay 99 GLX
By Inver306 on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new right off the truck. I have had no problems with this car. I felt the suspension was a bit soft so I upgraded it with a Stage 3 Newspeed suspension, which included springs, struts and big anti-roll bars, a huge improvement. Latest mods include 17" wheels and a Newspeed chip. The car has developed some rattles and squeaks, but I understand that they all do. Car has 53k miles on it now and still looks and runs new. I've love the VR6 since new and have taken several long trips with it; the car is a great compromise of space, comfort and performance. I think I'll keep it for a while longer.

Very Pleased
By Burgstrom03 on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

A great car that drives great and is fun.

i love my jetta
By jettaIIIglxvr6 on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

this car has been everything i expected and more

Great Car
By tengage on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have had two Jettas, a '97 and this '99. These cars are built for drivers. I have had no major problems with my '99. I had one window fall off the track, a mass air flow sensor (replaced via recall), and had to have the coolant tank resovoir replaced. All were covered under my extended warrenty. In total, I've spent about $180 on repairs in the 5 years I've owned it. It burns more oil than other cars I've owned, about a half a quart every 3000 miles, but I drive hard and my old Jetta was the same. One complaint is that the front bumper is shaped like a hook and will latch on to a curb and not let go.

Jetta GL
By Deviouswun on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Cat converter went @ 65000. Electrical problems with power windows. Steering loud during turns. No major engine, or transmission problems.

Reliable at first but ..........
By DC101 on 05/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Good car at first but always consumed lots of oil, keep an eye on dipstick ! Windows have always been an on/off problem but car has been reliable until 120,000 miles at which point electrical problems (misfiring) started to plague the car. Had it in several times for same problem. Still not resolved, dealership(s) can not find cause of problem so car now deemed unreliable (broke down 3 times in 1 month on major highways). VW Customer care is totally worthless. Will not reimburse me for out of pocket towing and car rental costs for VW parts gone bad.

jetta review
By Jayhawk Jetta on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Love this car! it is fun to drive and has many little features that make your driving experience enjoyable and comfortable.

Love to Drive
By NotTheFamilyCar on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Bought it new, changed the oil regularly, had trouble with windows and AM antenna (both fixed by dealer under warrantee), yellow goop cleaned at each oil change by dealer for a few years, just changed the battery and tires. I could not expect more from a first year of a new style.