Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I'll miss my lil green homey
By dgrundei

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car used with 43k miles on it from a private seller who bought it new and took excellent car of it. I have since put roughly 75k miles on it and have invested over $7,500 in maintenence unrelated to regular wear and tear. If something goes wrong, it's usually expensive. I had a lot of issues with the fuel system, replacing the fuel injectors and intake manifold. Had some issues with the wipers at 100,000 but replaced the motor myself for about 30 bucks. Otherwise, I love driving the VR6. It's fun, trendy, relatively fuel efficient. The heated leather is nice and comfy, the moonroof is perfect for nice weather. Other than sucking my wallet dry with maintenence, I loved this car!

2.8 Litre V6 is quick. Trendy design. Fuel economy. Heated leather. Moonroof. Pretty violet dashboard lights. Factory sound system is spectacular. Great stability at high speeds.

Make it more reliable! The cup holders are absolutely awful but it's kind of neat how they pop out of the dash, until they break.

Great Car, but unfortunate
By VWkid

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for less than a month and it is fantastic. It drives well, looks great, and has tons of extras, all for a low price, now and when it was new. I love the car.

The leather touches, sunroof, sporty spoiler and lights, and that it's fun to drive.

The remote works only from like 20 feet away, otherwise great.

The "Not-Worth-It" Mobile
By Lily

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car because my best pal (Nissan 240sx) was totalled in a wreck that was not my fault. I needed a car before work on Monday, but didn't do as much research as I could have. I loved the styling on the Jetta and wanted a 4 door sedan, but I didn't know what I was in for. Immediately I had to go back to the dealer for an engine coolant system fix (which they couldn't do, they had to send to the VW dealer). Then other parts started breaking - glove compartment, center console, other misc. plastic interior parts, passenger's door jamb, windshield wiper fluid thingy, etc. Now I have a fuel pressure problem and a broken AC that I have already fixed once - don't buy this car!

It looks cute from the outside, it has a sunroof, automatic windows work well, doors automatically lock when I go above a certain speed (good for people who lock their doors when they get in the car anyway - as a woman it makes me feel kind of safe).

What's wrong with my car: electrical problems, trunk light only works when it wants to, fuel pressure problem (only 80,00 miles!), engine coolant problem, and bad AC. What's wrong with all Jettas: Bad gas mileage and it takes PREMIUM GAS!!! Everything is proprietary, have fun at the VW dealership!

Saved my life
By Ali Griffin

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

About four days ago I was in a head on collision with a Chevy Suburban in a canyon. I walked away with glass shards in my arm and that is it. My friend who was in the passenger seat walked away without a scratch. Even the highway patrolman said the way the car handled the impact is what saved our lives. I loved that car, too bad it is totalled and completely unsalvageable. Thank you Volkswagen for making a car that passengers can feel safe in!

Airbags, I also loved the color of the lights in the dash. Had great get-up-and-go. Loved the key, was always a blast to drive. I appreciated the single fold down seat that perfectly fit a couple snowboards!

My antenna got broken off about a year ago. For something so seemingly simple it was a fortune to get fixed for a poor college student! Wish VW dealerships weren't so expensive for repairs.

Oh So Bad
By butafly00

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Major things broken : ABS-$500+,Throttle body $350,A/C $800,Oxygen sensor $500, ALL fuel lines and pump $750. Finally after only 3 years and no accidents I was told the car is "irrepairable" Minor things: hubcaps replaced 3x cause they just fall off, window fell into door,car stuck in park and had to be towed Annoyances: Cloth seats will NEVER look clean cause felt like material keeps all lint for life. Gas milage is poor in my opinion for a sedan. Things inside the car are always breaking, like the glove box, cup holders, cloth on ceiling.

exterior looks nice blue lights on dash are nice

puchase a different car to improve