1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
99 Jetta GLS VR6
By kgbarlow on 01/05/05 21:45 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Fun to drive and looks hot, but the reliabilty is poor. Since it is the first year of the new model, the kinks were not worked out. Numerous problems with electronics. Yet, it is a sporty drive.

Fun Car
By Whit on 12/28/04 18:00 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My wife bought this car before we were married and before driving hers I never saw myself buying a Volkswagen. Now that I have had experience with hers I my be a Volkswagen/Jetta driver the rest of my life. The car is fun to drive, reliable and we feel a great value.

Great for everyday use!
By DANIEL on 12/19/04 12:43 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I picked this car up for cheap, reason why its a 2.0 and not the infamous 1.8t or vr6. Stock the engine is just enough for A to B driving. Great for a working car or long trips thanks to its decent milage per gallon. If you looking for performance you should look at the 2.0 unless your into engine tuning and are willing to spend another 2,500 to supercharge or turbo the engine.

solid compact car
By d_miller81 on 12/17/04 16:08 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my second Volkswagen. I bought this vehicle as a certified used car with a generous warranty. I have had NO problems with this car. It has never needed any mechanical service besides standard service. It handles great with "H" rated tires. I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket CD player, the factory speakers sound great. I get about 33 mpg on highway. this car is fun to drive and the 5 speed is smooth and simple. This car is bullet proof. It has gotten me out of trouble more than once with its awesome handling and braking. Can't say enough good things about this model.

Wish I would've researched this one!!
By iamatester on 11/23/04 14:49 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Just bought my 5th VW, this time a '99 VR6. So far I am impressed, but like everyone else, the Check Engine light has been the bane of my existence. Not sure why it randomly comes on and off. Other than that, I love the power. For the door squeaks I use a product called Gummipflege (German product- which you can get at any BMW parts store), Best product ever for removing squeaks. My last car was a 04 1.8T, and I never should've gotten rid of it, but wifey needed a new car, so I sold that and got her an Odyssey. Oh well, I will always stick with VW, but the Scion tC has caught my eye, as well as it's sticker price.

NEVER again!
By Don't buy a Jetta on 11/17/04 17:42 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It is not a reliable car. Does not like going up hills, does't like snow, power windows stink-mine would start going up & down independently then caught on fire (no flames but lots of smoke in my car right behind my head), alloy wheels break when you hit a pothole - mine were discontinued so they don't match now, alternater and starter both replaced, antifreeze leaks ($18/gal), got stranded/towed 2 times in the past year, spark plugs and other wires not good, and now the transmission will not shift ... its not a safe car when you pull out of a toll booth on a highway and can't get above 40! I can't even think what else is wrong with the car, I would never buy another one.

VW Cannot Build a Reliable Car
By swall1965 on 11/08/04 10:16 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

It's sad I cannot give this car a positive review. Yes it's fun to drive and yes it's nicely appointed. However, this car has been a constant source of pain for my wife and me. Beginning the first year, the check engine light came on. Having the dealer examine it under warranty, no worries. But, as expected, 2 months after the warranty expired, the mass air sensor had to be replaced for a cost of over $400.00. While VW has admitted known issues with this part, other consistent failures have apparently existed such as issues with ignition coils and fuel injectors. All failures point to wiring issues. They made a dreadful judgement in error and built these in Mexico. Shame on VW!

What a piece of crap
By joemahn on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This is the single most unreliable car I have ever purchased. I purchased this car for my daughter in April 04 and have had nothing but problems. Check engine light is constantly on, requiring oxygen sensors, air sensors etc. Also, problems with the remote, including the car locking automatically with the keys inside. Windows have come off the track. The car interior is all cheap plastic resulting in broken cup holder, broken glove compartment and the list goes on.

Lucky to have a good VW
By Danny on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Amazed at some of the issues that I have found on this board. I was lucky enough to find one of the good ones I guess. I have logged over 69,000 miles on mine, and have only had to replaced a temperature sensor, which was expensive. The only time my engine light comes on is when I get into the lower states like Ar, Tx, etc. (gas issue maybe).I have a 1999 with 111,000 miles so I guess if the only thing that I have replaced is the sensor I will consider my self lucky. Nice car to have on the highway. Trunk light works when it wants is another problem that I do have.

Beware of the Jetta
By kerryk_21 on 10/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

You may look good driving a Jetta but you wont look so cute shelling out money every month for repairs. In less than two years I have replaced the cerpentine belt,the passenger window fell through the door,shocks and brakes, mass air flow filter, many small repairs, $40 oil changes and last but not least the catalytic converter. This single part costs around $1,000 and usually lasts the lifetime of most cars but not the jetta. The cup holder needs to be thrown out the window and I dont know what to do with the gunk that drips from the doors! You've been warned!