1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews 5

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Awesome Car for My Son
By RVoit on 01/07/07 07:39 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this Jetta two years ago from my local dealer, as a third car for my teenage boys to drive. It's a stick, with few options, but was in good condition. We've had virtually no problems with it and it's turned out to be a tough car, too. It provides superb basic transportation. It's fun for the boys to drive, but not too flashy either. We maintain this car and plan on keeping this Jetta for a long time.

Enjoyed My Jetta
By Anand on 12/20/06 10:37 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I enjoyed my car right from the beginning. I had some minor electrical issues when it was under warranty. Also, there was minor issue with the indicator lights that was repaired under warranty. My battery broke after 75,000 miles and that's when I replaced it. Under warranty, I had an oxygen sensor issue that has been corrected by the dealer. The catalytic converter failed at 60,000 miles, but luckily there was recall on that and my payment was reimbursed by VW. At 97,000 miles the transmission broke. Guess what, it has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and the dealer replaced it with a new transmission. At about 75,000 miles, I had an air conditioning issue that I had to pay for.

Lots of Trouble
By neveragain on 12/10/06 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I put a lot of work into this car when I bought it used. It only had 65,000 miles miles on it. At 75,000 miles it had a major break down and I had to put $3,000 of work into it. Also, this car's body lean around corners is terrible. I think it contributed to the car spinning out twice. Both times I was going around a corner at less than 10 mph more than the posted limit. I've never had a car spin out on me before, and I have driven a lot of cars. On the upside, the body is quite sturdy and didn't damage much on impact though the seatbelt injured me. The transmission on the automatic never seemed to want to shift up even though I had it serviced when I bought it. It could have been abused, but still.... This car was a bit of a money pit.

I'll Buy Another VW
By k schlueter on 11/28/06 21:25 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought the Jetta when I was driving 120 miles a day round trip to work. I needed reliability and fuel economy and a degree of cool was important, too. I am a very happy customer with over 162,000 miles and expecting another 100,000. I love my little red practically perfect VW Jetta. Now I only drive six miles round trip each day. My Jetta is still perfectly wonderful for my purposes. Plus, no car payments! I will strive to keep this car a very long time, But when I finally do buy my next new car, it will be a VW- maybe a Passat next time.

Style Over Substance
By AK Jetta on 10/08/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

We really liked the style and the roomy interior and trunk. However, we had several problems including: driver window failure; body trim falling off; radio controls quit working; turn signal lever stopped working; throttle body had to be replaced and other mechanical issues. This all happened at various stages of our eight year ownership. The first few years went smoothly and the car now has 92,000 miles. I probably would not buy another Jetta, but this one made it through three cross-country trips, including one to Alaska.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta
By VW 3 on 09/29/06 03:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my VW Jetta and it has been great for a year. I had problems with the dash lights behind the temperature panel. Then it started to have electrical problems. I could not open the gas filler door, then the alarm would not lock the doors, then the trunk light went out and only turns on when it wants. Next the A/C broke. Oh, the glove box is hanging by one hinge. On the positive side, I love the ride and it can do high speeds on the highway. Its gas mileage is great. I would say the quality needs to get better. I bought this car because my Mom owned a '73 Bug and never had a problem. Then I owned it and never had a problem. I mistakenly thought the Jetta would be the same.

Used to Love VW
By Brian B on 08/08/06 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Jetta new with a 100,000 mile warranty. The starter went out at 38,000 miles (not covered). The window motor went out at 42,000 miles (not covered). The side molding came off at 50,000 miles (not covered). Now the stereo volume doesn't work properly and the big one, I need a new tranny and the clutch went out at 65,000 miles (probably covered but forgot to take it to the dealer). Oh yeah, my second starter went out at 55,000 miles and my second and third window motors are gone.

Runs Awesome, Have Minor Problems
By Tim on 07/31/06 06:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My Jetta runs great. I take it on the Autobahn and top her out, but take care of her as well. The check engine light is always on, but apparently it will blink if something major happens. Other than that, I plan on keeping it for a long time, add some sway bars and suspension.

Adam Sandler's Car Song must be a Jetta
By Never again! on 06/20/06 18:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

All of the problems listed here I have dealt with too, except for the green stuff in the door. The latest: it thinks it is in reverse when it is in park. It won't start in park (only in neutral). When I have it in drive all the gears light up on the instrument panel. My mechanic called TWO VW dealers and VW claims that they have never heard of such a thing! Mechanically the car is in park, but the computer senses it's in reverse. (I replaced the neutral safety switch because that's what they thought was wrong, but it wasn't that ... $250 down the drain). I will NEVER buy another VW.

Hope you can drive a stick
By JLo on 04/15/06 08:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

For those who want an automatic transmission get ready for some fun. The memory transmission is so sensitive that it shifts differently according to what pair of shoes I have on. This can be VERY ANNOYING! I hope that this is not a big problem in the newer models. I had my transmission reset when I first got the car because the shifting was so weird. It's good on gas and I haven't had any other problems. Oh yeah and it has minimal torque. This is a great car for a commuter, student, or as a second car.