Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Solid car, just a few quirks
By dmoir

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car is my second car and I love it. Outside of annoying issues like power window failure and freeze- happy parking brakes (a side effect of single digit temperatures), this car has been nothing but great. Awesome features like the sunroof and stereo, leather steering wheel, etc. The car isn't fast, but it feels sporty with the 5-speed manual and turns out great gas mileage. Overall a great car, I can't wait to get my next VW!

Sporty look with alloy wheels and spoiler, tinted taillights. Sunroof, stereo, and high-quality interior are excellent.

Power windows are a pain to fix, but VW fixed them on the later generations. Seals on Parking brake are falling apart, but the car is pretty old and worn down...

Love This Car
By Jason

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just bought this car and it has been in the shop a couple times but it has been for small things. I love it, the appearance is awesome and is very fun to drive. I love the VR6 model, if u buy a VW then u have to buy the VR6 or the Turbo version of this, any other model is junk. There are so many performance options to this car but yes parts are expensive. My headlights are fogging up and it's 200 bucks a light and for a new key its another 200 so if i were gonna go through a dealership for these that's 600 bucks. But if u look on-line you can find lights dirt cheap. so people bashing this car look for parts on-line, you will save money.

Heated seats, leather, sound

Parts not so expensive, it's not a exotic import like a Lambo or anything.

Great looking garbage
By jjsirico

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Same problems as many other people seem to have, power windows are junk. Windows are quite happy to fall down, but never come back up. Replacement parts should be cheap since VW knows this is a major design flaw but they aren't. Exterior trim falls off. Cup holder is in such a poor spot that it's comical. Radiator fan motor has burned up twice due to bad controller. $600 for a radiator fan, not including labor. Quick car, looks decent, starts every day but prohibitively expensive to repair. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! (unless of course, you would like to buy mine!)

Sunroof

VW, drop the price on the parts that were so poorly designed. Window motors, side molding that falls off, and radiator fans are shockingly expensive. Don't bring a coffee cup on the commute either, bacause it won't fit in the cup holder.

Instant Gratification
By alyslever

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I'm a 21 year old girl that always wanted a VW Jetta. Little did i know, they suck! After the first week of having it my front bumper started falling off. My car has been in the shop since day 1. I love the way the car looks but it's not the most practical car. Ive had so many problems such as, catalytic converter, trans, alternator, belts, a/c, ABS, etc. The inside of the car is junk. Everything falls off or apart. Have fun if you decide to buy this car!

I love the pep in this car. It drives around like a go-cart. I like the interior lighting. The body style is also very stylish.

Better quality all the way around.

Don't buy
By steponme274

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I've had my car for two years. At first I loved it, it was cute and trendy. Well now every time I pull out of a parking space my front bumper falls off. I've had to replace two batteries. My electric windows died. The interior is shot ( leaks, falling headliner, parts breaking.) I've spent thousands in repairs. Today I'm going to the auto shop to replace the reference sensor $233 and the oxygen sensor $247. Non stop repairs

The look

Electric issues, get it together