1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car, but unfortunate
By VWkid on 09/01/07 17:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for less than a month and it is fantastic. It drives well, looks great, and has tons of extras, all for a low price, now and when it was new. I love the car.

The "Not-Worth-It" Mobile
By Lily on 07/14/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car because my best pal (Nissan 240sx) was totalled in a wreck that was not my fault. I needed a car before work on Monday, but didn't do as much research as I could have. I loved the styling on the Jetta and wanted a 4 door sedan, but I didn't know what I was in for. Immediately I had to go back to the dealer for an engine coolant system fix (which they couldn't do, they had to send to the VW dealer). Then other parts started breaking - glove compartment, center console, other misc. plastic interior parts, passenger's door jamb, windshield wiper fluid thingy, etc. Now I have a fuel pressure problem and a broken AC that I have already fixed once - don't buy this car!

Saved my life
By Ali Griffin on 07/07/07 23:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

About four days ago I was in a head on collision with a Chevy Suburban in a canyon. I walked away with glass shards in my arm and that is it. My friend who was in the passenger seat walked away without a scratch. Even the highway patrolman said the way the car handled the impact is what saved our lives. I loved that car, too bad it is totalled and completely unsalvageable. Thank you Volkswagen for making a car that passengers can feel safe in!

Oh So Bad
By butafly00 on 05/10/07 16:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Major things broken : ABS-$500+,Throttle body $350,A/C $800,Oxygen sensor $500, ALL fuel lines and pump $750. Finally after only 3 years and no accidents I was told the car is "irrepairable" Minor things: hubcaps replaced 3x cause they just fall off, window fell into door,car stuck in park and had to be towed Annoyances: Cloth seats will NEVER look clean cause felt like material keeps all lint for life. Gas milage is poor in my opinion for a sedan. Things inside the car are always breaking, like the glove box, cup holders, cloth on ceiling.

Loved this car!!
By Gail on 05/04/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car when it was three years old, and it drove like new. I'd been wanting a Jetta for some time and it was everything I hoped it would be. The car is very comfy and everything on the dash and console was within my reach. In the five years I had it, it only had a few engine troubles, and it never cost more than $200 to fix. I never had the $1000+ repair bills like with previous cars (Nissan, Plymouth, Dodge). It served me well for the five years and 120K miles on it. I would still like to have kept it for a few more years, but I just got rear-ended and sadly it's totaled, so now I'm getting a 2005 Jetta Wagon! I love these cars!

Happy with Jetta
By sherry on 04/21/07 20:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Above average vehicle. No engine leaks at 116,000 miles - unheard of. Still a tight running car.

Don't Waste Your Money
By VWMoneyPit on 03/24/07 12:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had a '70 Bug in school that needed infrequent attention and which I remember fondly. Those memories led me to purchase the Jetta thinking that the quality of the Jetta would be all that I remembered Volkswagen being; i.e., a maufacturer of quality automobiles. That is not the case. My Jetta has had numerous, costly electrical, engine wiring and emission problems (two catylytic converters in ten years), two broken glove boxes (how long have they been making cars?) and atrocious customer service. All of that ensures that I will never buy a VW again. My four purchases before the Jetta were Toyotas and Hondas - not as much fun to drive but trouble-free and much, much kinder on my pocketbook.

Scap Metal on Wheels
By scrapMetalWithEngine on 02/10/07 08:47 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I loved my Jetta when I bought it, until one day the air conditioning blew hot and would cost $1,300 to fix due to compressor failure, the windows motors went out before that, so now my car is a portable sauna. It has an oil leek, the automatic transmission automatically drops itself into neutral. The silver paint is oxidizing and rusting (this shouldn't happen), and the dip stick broken and inaccurate. I also agree that the recline twist handle is midevil torture. The timing belt rotated and caused my engine to turn off and not start. This happened while driving...scary and costly. All in all, I'd rather burn my money than buy a '99 Jetta Wolfsburg. Oh yeah and my seat magically came unbolted. The speedometer works once a week if I'm lucky

Awesome Car for My Son
By RVoit on 01/07/07 07:39 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this Jetta two years ago from my local dealer, as a third car for my teenage boys to drive. It's a stick, with few options, but was in good condition. We've had virtually no problems with it and it's turned out to be a tough car, too. It provides superb basic transportation. It's fun for the boys to drive, but not too flashy either. We maintain this car and plan on keeping this Jetta for a long time.

Enjoyed My Jetta
By Anand on 12/20/06 10:37 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I enjoyed my car right from the beginning. I had some minor electrical issues when it was under warranty. Also, there was minor issue with the indicator lights that was repaired under warranty. My battery broke after 75,000 miles and that's when I replaced it. Under warranty, I had an oxygen sensor issue that has been corrected by the dealer. The catalytic converter failed at 60,000 miles, but luckily there was recall on that and my payment was reimbursed by VW. At 97,000 miles the transmission broke. Guess what, it has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and the dealer replaced it with a new transmission. At about 75,000 miles, I had an air conditioning issue that I had to pay for.