Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car!
By ali

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We have had this car as our family car for a little over a year and it runs and handles great! It is 10 years old and has 138,000 miles on it and we have only ever changed a tire and the oil. I agree that the cup holder is cheap and ours is broken too. Our emergency break is not working but it is I guess an easy fix nad the washer flid doest work, leaky hose. The sound system is great. We took it on 2400 mile round trip amd it did great. Very peppy! Love this car!

Favorite Features

Sound system, heated seats, easy and fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

cup holder!!! stronger mat snaps better gas mileage

I'll never BUY a VW again!
By Mitch

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After 6 mnts of owning the car it was in the shop weekly.There was some kind of light that prevented me from taking my car out of park!what!?Then for no reason the back seat belt tightened up to the point that it would not move, it was so tight that it was ruining the leather in the car.Then I was told I needed new spark plugs and a spark plug wire set,it was $13 per spark plug and the wire set was $350!Total it was about $500 for a simple fix! Then my coil pack went bad which was $600 plus they told me that my coil pack ruined my plugs and wires again,(happened about a week after i already replaced the plugs and wires). I dumped that car at a dealership and will never own a German car again!

Favorite Features

The only good thing to say about it was that it had a really nice ride on the highway. Thats IT!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!!! I bought a VW cause I heard that they were very reliable, LOL. It was the biggest money pit. First they need to make their parts cheaper so that u can actually afford to fix the car, and change the CPU so that u can use knock off brands without messing something else up in the car!

Solid for the most part, but not awesome
By BCgoalie

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought this car wanting a fun-to-drive compact sedan, and that's what I got. Unfortunately, there have been a few costly problems. At first, the car was in commendable condition, but some cosmetics like the glovebox, radio antenna and side molding on the doors have started to fall apart. The engine and transmission have been completely problem-free, but electronic issues with the power windows and a moody stereo system have a tendency to break. Overall though, the car has been extremely reliable, is peppy and good looking, and my next car will be another VW!

Favorite Features

The power sunroof, classy and luxurious interior, and sporty appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Everything that has gone wrong in every other mk3 jetta i've heard about; power windows, glovebox, door trim, etc. Although it looks like the new jettas took care of those for the most part

VW wolf 1999
By dionj82

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This was a reliable and fun car. I never had any mechanical problems whatsoever. The only electrical issue i ran into was of course the window regulator and the instrument cluster. I loved the sound system and the body style most about the car. Sadly my wife was in a wreck which totaled my jetta, whats amazing is she had no injuries. The safety features were on point. Overall i would say say its a decent car to own!

Favorite Features

Sound system and body style.

Suggested Improvements

Window regulators need to be replaced free of charge...$400 is not cool!

Solid car, just a few quirks
By dmoir

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car is my second car and I love it. Outside of annoying issues like power window failure and freeze- happy parking brakes (a side effect of single digit temperatures), this car has been nothing but great. Awesome features like the sunroof and stereo, leather steering wheel, etc. The car isn't fast, but it feels sporty with the 5-speed manual and turns out great gas mileage. Overall a great car, I can't wait to get my next VW!

Favorite Features

Sporty look with alloy wheels and spoiler, tinted taillights. Sunroof, stereo, and high-quality interior are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are a pain to fix, but VW fixed them on the later generations. Seals on Parking brake are falling apart, but the car is pretty old and worn down...