Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Style Over Substance
By AK Jetta

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

We really liked the style and the roomy interior and trunk. However, we had several problems including: driver window failure; body trim falling off; radio controls quit working; turn signal lever stopped working; throttle body had to be replaced and other mechanical issues. This all happened at various stages of our eight year ownership. The first few years went smoothly and the car now has 92,000 miles. I probably would not buy another Jetta, but this one made it through three cross-country trips, including one to Alaska.

Don't buy one
By vwnomore

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've had to replace the engine due to a "freak accident" where the block was cracked mid drive($4K refurbished). All of my window motors have broken, if you buy this car, yours will break too. The O2 sensors, replaced, the side paneling has fallen off. And then just random things, such as the glove box will no longer open??? The alarm system had to be turned off completely due to that going crazy. Antenna is cracked, I just purchased fog light covers (cause the original drivers side fell off), new headlight due to condensation. Etc. etc. etc. Buying parts is expensive, they almost always have to be VW. My dipstick magically broke off and I had to go thru VW to replace it.

Favorite Features

Bose speakers, sunroof, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Sell the parts cheaper.

CAN ANYBODY FIX THIS CAR?
By Dieseled out

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car was supposed to be my answer to commuting. I cannot keep it on the road. Check engine light has come on at 50,000 miles and at 90,000 miles it is still on. Volkswagen mechanics throw up their hands. What do I do? I have spent $2400 for the mechanics to silence this light. What is the 100,000 mile warrenty for? They still say glow plug relay. I began to bottle and sell the ooze that leaks from the doors. If Volkswagen could fix this problem, I would have a decent car. Power windows are a big joke. Fix them in a timely manner for God's sake. You could not run fast enough to give me another one of these cars.

Favorite Features

I love the dash lights. (If the check engine light wasn't always on). Doors still close with that Mercedes clunk. Even with all the ooze packed in them. Love that diesel engine...nice to hold up all the truckers at truck stops as I fill up my 15 gallon tank with diesel.

Suggested Improvements

Fix my check engine light. Please make a luxury diesel. I want leather, heated seats, climate control system, and dual power seats in my Jetta Diesel. Is this to difficult to build. Hint: Take a GLX VR6 and take the engine out and put in a diesel. very simple.

By blc

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Iíve owned this car for a year and am extremely pleased with this, my 2nd Jetta. The TDI, with its excellent fuel economy is practically the best thing going. Couple this with the longevity and reliability of diesel, itís the hands-down best. Although CR rates this model low in reliability, Iíve had no problems in the past year.

Favorite Features

Dash and driving controls are well thought, other than cruise controls (see below)

Suggested Improvements

The rear seats are too small and uncomfortable for long distance, which this car is otherwise perfect for. They also will not recline back. The cruise control has no indicator lamp and is clumsily place on the turn-signal switch. (more recent models correct this)

Good Car
By Phil

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDi 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Bought the car new and have had very few problems. Replaced the glow plugs at 100,000, and fuel economy is not what it used to be ... but it still gets over 40 mpg. Great car on the highway or country driving. Feels like a sports car.

Favorite Features

Ride, style, fuel mileage, seats, interior, exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Car rides too low.