Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta 1999 VR6 GLS
By Steve@USA

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I loved the car when I purchesed it, but this changed as problems arose. High maintenance and a lot of problems. Replaced several seals and gaskets, a/c, transmission, catalytic converter. The car only has 61,000 miles. Costly to repair because only dealership mechanics can practically fix these cars.

The ride and comfort. Its great.

Price vs size (space) vs reliability. Its just not there.

Boycott VW
By BadBadJetta

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My problems duplicate the others, including the yellow door goo, bad oxygen sensors, frequent check engine light (can't believe it hasnt burned out yet), cup holder, peeling door handle, bad ignition coil, bad catalytic converter, and so on. I initially thought I had a lemon, but let's face it folks, they are all like this. After the last episode involving the catalytic converter, I will be rid of it shortly. I'm at the point where I don't have enough faith to take it out of town. And current owners who gave good reviews....if you haven't seen these problems yet, you're just pressing your luck.

Dashboard lights are sharp, it handles well, body looks nice (after I clean the goo off the doors).

Too many to list. Bottom line: VW, find some suppliers who make decent parts. Your "German engineering" is useless if the parts are junk. The cup holder is downright pathetic.

Great First Car
By JettaBabe

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My first car and loving it. I love the 5 speed its smooth duability. Great milage since gas has gone sky rocketing. con: manual roll down windows are time consuming, no consul in the middle

Keyless entry, tinted windows, manual

Faster HP, automatic windows

Great Car!! Awful company!!!
By merlin101

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My car is a darling. Until the check engine light comes on - then it's a mystery until I'm in the middle of traffic and I can no longer accelerate. Service is awful! No one should have to pay $45.00 for a light bulb change or $30 for wiper refills, or wait two months for a catalytic converter when your car has failed NJ state inspection emissions and you CANT DRIVE IT!!! Volkswagen service needs an improvement plan.

My car without the Volkswagen relation. Absolute darling! Design is great. The plan is great - deployment is a disaster

Quality, Service, internal systems, supply chain, customer communications, availability of parts/service from other than the dealers. Tools to remove the Volkswagen signs from the cars.

Love it
By MrBrewdude

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car has always been a blast to drive. Its especially great for highway cruising. A smooth ride and plenty of power that will push you back in your seat. Back seat is cramped, only okay if you're under 5'8" or so. Trunk is huge. Doesn't handle quite as well as I'd like. Get the performance spring kit which is a big improvement. Has had a few problems, all well-known Jetta problems (fuel door, glove box door, window regulator, MAF). Most problems fixed under warranty and most of the problems VW seems to have a handle on. Even with the past problems I love the car and I've never had a mechanical problem, and consider it very reliable.

Highway driving is a cruise.

More back leg room.