1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
This Car Saved My Life
By kellylong on 08/09/09 22:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I totaled my Jetta in a head on collision with a guard rail after a tire blew, and walked away with minor bruises. I then turned around and bought the same exact car. People can say what they will about cup holders breaking and plastic peeling, but I say quit complaining. You either are a VW person or your not, and I am 100%. I had to replace my battery, timing belt @ 120,000k (which was a choice to avoid problems), brakes, and my battery, but these are all things that should be fixed on any vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I am a VW believer all the way.

Don't buy one
By vwnomore on 07/13/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've had to replace the engine due to a "freak accident" where the block was cracked mid drive($4K refurbished). All of my window motors have broken, if you buy this car, yours will break too. The O2 sensors, replaced, the side paneling has fallen off. And then just random things, such as the glove box will no longer open??? The alarm system had to be turned off completely due to that going crazy. Antenna is cracked, I just purchased fog light covers (cause the original drivers side fell off), new headlight due to condensation. Etc. etc. etc. Buying parts is expensive, they almost always have to be VW. My dipstick magically broke off and I had to go thru VW to replace it.

German engineering
By jg on 07/04/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

The car has been very good in most respects with the one great exception. The electrical system is atrocious. One problem after another with many of the plugs and connectors burning off. Lights interior and exterior which sometimes work sometimes not. Also,nearly every visit to the dealer for repairs ends in a $700 to $1000 bill. NO more farfagnugan for us.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta 4 dr GLS
By Carchick1718 on 05/18/09 20:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

When I bought the jetta it had 107k on it. I had it for 3 months, put 111k on it. I was hit by a drunk driver and the car was totaled. It didnt handle the crash good at all. She didnt hit me at a high speed. But heres the story on my car. I don't think it was very reliable. The check engine light would always come on. I would have misfires all the time but I had my plugs switched. I had a coolant leak. Had to fix that. The cup holders broke. My glove compartment door broke. Everything falls apart. The car stinks in performance, although handled curves well. But my car was in the shop a lot... I would never buy one again. I was glad to get rid of it. Its a headache to have one. Hope this helped

Great Car!
By ali on 05/08/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We have had this car as our family car for a little over a year and it runs and handles great! It is 10 years old and has 138,000 miles on it and we have only ever changed a tire and the oil. I agree that the cup holder is cheap and ours is broken too. Our emergency break is not working but it is I guess an easy fix nad the washer flid doest work, leaky hose. The sound system is great. We took it on 2400 mile round trip amd it did great. Very peppy! Love this car!

I'll never BUY a VW again!
By Mitch on 05/07/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After 6 mnts of owning the car it was in the shop weekly.There was some kind of light that prevented me from taking my car out of park!what!?Then for no reason the back seat belt tightened up to the point that it would not move, it was so tight that it was ruining the leather in the car.Then I was told I needed new spark plugs and a spark plug wire set,it was $13 per spark plug and the wire set was $350!Total it was about $500 for a simple fix! Then my coil pack went bad which was $600 plus they told me that my coil pack ruined my plugs and wires again,(happened about a week after i already replaced the plugs and wires). I dumped that car at a dealership and will never own a German car again!

Solid for the most part, but not awesome
By BCgoalie on 03/20/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought this car wanting a fun-to-drive compact sedan, and that's what I got. Unfortunately, there have been a few costly problems. At first, the car was in commendable condition, but some cosmetics like the glovebox, radio antenna and side molding on the doors have started to fall apart. The engine and transmission have been completely problem-free, but electronic issues with the power windows and a moody stereo system have a tendency to break. Overall though, the car has been extremely reliable, is peppy and good looking, and my next car will be another VW!

VW wolf 1999
By dionj82 on 12/29/08 12:57 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This was a reliable and fun car. I never had any mechanical problems whatsoever. The only electrical issue i ran into was of course the window regulator and the instrument cluster. I loved the sound system and the body style most about the car. Sadly my wife was in a wreck which totaled my jetta, whats amazing is she had no injuries. The safety features were on point. Overall i would say say its a decent car to own!

Solid car, just a few quirks
By dmoir on 12/16/08 21:30 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car is my second car and I love it. Outside of annoying issues like power window failure and freeze- happy parking brakes (a side effect of single digit temperatures), this car has been nothing but great. Awesome features like the sunroof and stereo, leather steering wheel, etc. The car isn't fast, but it feels sporty with the 5-speed manual and turns out great gas mileage. Overall a great car, I can't wait to get my next VW!

Love This Car
By Jason on 10/30/08 11:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just bought this car and it has been in the shop a couple times but it has been for small things. I love it, the appearance is awesome and is very fun to drive. I love the VR6 model, if u buy a VW then u have to buy the VR6 or the Turbo version of this, any other model is junk. There are so many performance options to this car but yes parts are expensive. My headlights are fogging up and it's 200 bucks a light and for a new key its another 200 so if i were gonna go through a dealership for these that's 600 bucks. But if u look on-line you can find lights dirt cheap. so people bashing this car look for parts on-line, you will save money.