1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
BEWARE!!!!!!!!
By VWS*CKS on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This is the absolute worse car Iíve even owned. Iíve dubbed it ďChristineĒ. Letís see there in the O2 sensor issue. the green-ooze that drips out of door onto frame, the horrible gas mileage the tail light that needs to be replaced ever month, the moon roof comes off the tracks, the gas tank door wonít latch anymore,leaking off oil, the safety belt latch keeps breaking. Customer Service of VW, they SUCK and are RUDE. Not to mention when my Jetta broke down in the middle of a Midwest Winter two hours from my house, they didnít send someone right away and than they lost my car. Yup, didnít know which dealership the car had been taken too, this ordeal lasted over a week.

Fast and reliable
By Jrogers75 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I own a automatic Jetta Gls and it took sometime to time getting used to the Transmission features, Once the transmission became familar with my driving style, it handles and drives like a race car. Wasn't very impressed with the quality of the inside cover of the sunroof though "cardboard with carpet" very flimsey. Car can be very noisy if you only have the sunroof open too. If you have any back problems I would buy this car !! Very good support for the back and you can move virtually anything with the seat.

Disappointed
By Sick Of It on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This is my 2nd Jetta and I'm extremely disappointed. Cupholders have been replaced twice. Glove box replaced twice. Battery died after 12 months??? Trunk motor went on the fritz, causing the trunk to continually pop open. 02 Sensor issue. Interior seat material does not wear well at all. Brakes needed to be replaced too soon for me. Too many little things for a lease car. I'm willing to pay anything to get out of it. Never again!

Needs a little TLC now and then
By vordy on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We bought our Jetta used with 62k on it. The car is beautiful inside and out, but it does have a few flaws. Like the other reviews on this site, the front window did get stuck in the down position. The problem is not electrical, but the cheap plastic clips that attach the glass to the regulator broke, it cost $150 for a new regulator. The sunroof shade has broken off of the track and is stuck in the headliner preventing the sunroof from sliding open. The trunk light also has a mind of its own. I have never dealt with the dealer since I fix everything myself. On that note, the build quality is excellent. Wish the car was stick, the VR6 is a nice engine.

Love My Jetta
By mtnlover on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car I have ever owned! All I do is the basic maintenance on it. I've had this car for over three years and will have it for many more. I see that a lot of people are complaining about the new model. Maybe VW should not have changed a good thing!

It's the Little Things that Get You
By joblow on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Pluses: Great seats, fun to drive,.... Minuses: The recalls, ie. O2 sensor issue. the green-ooze that drips out of door onto frame and then your pant-leg in hot weather, steering wheel in hot weather creaks.... Rear-Tail lights tend to go out often The minuses are starting to pile up.... This could be a great car, but right now the little things are driving me crazy....

Not bad
By jetdoc on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I had this car for 4 years and it has been real good. I had only one problem w/ the car, the alarm system broke. The car is easy to maitain but repairs can be costly. Needs better fuel economy. Great car for the city, getting into tight spaces but to small for a family w/ kids.

I will NEVER buy a VW again
By TK1 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

From day one, this car has been nothing but trouble. I fell in love with the looks (exterior/interior), but failed to research warranty and reliability. Things that happened: Exterior paint has come off in some places, had to have emergency brake cable replaced, had to have spark plug re-wiring done, had to get starter replaced (engine died), and had to have muffler replaced all under 50,000 miles. Tires didn't last long, and neither did the brake pads. Repairs have cost me $2,500 plus and dealers were not helpful. Buyer Beware...I think I'll go back to Toyotas which never gave me trouble. The new Camry we have is GREAT!

Nightmare Experience
By pandapizazz on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I will never lease a VW again! I have had nothing but problems since the second day that I have had my Jetta. Problems range from windows falling into the door, a sunroof that doesn't work more than it does, and an engine that needs to be replaced. I haven't had my car 3 years and honestly feel that I have a lemon. To date I have spent almost 3500 on a car that isn't 3 years old!! BEWARE!!

Stay Away from Jetta!
By Eric B on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Let's see. The window regulator has broken on both windows. I burn through tail lights and headlights as fast as I can change them. The light in the trunk stopped working a year and no one can seem to figuire out why. The volume button on the radio is broken. The cup holder in the dash broke and has been fixed. Stock tires last 35,000 miles. Emergency brake sticks when it is below 32'F. Battery used water as quickly as you can re-fill it. Oil cooler went out at 49,000 miles. Spark plugs went bad at 47,000. Finally at 50,000 they have discovered I have a blown head gasket. Buy at you own risk!!!! Nothing but headaches.