Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Great for everyday use!
By DANIEL

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I picked this car up for cheap, reason why its a 2.0 and not the infamous 1.8t or vr6. Stock the engine is just enough for A to B driving. Great for a working car or long trips thanks to its decent milage per gallon. If you looking for performance you should look at the 2.0 unless your into engine tuning and are willing to spend another 2,500 to supercharge or turbo the engine.

Favorite Features

Simple yet functionable. CHEAP as a second hand car. Reliable and good for everyday beater.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more speed. Thank God the MK V is soon to release.

Great Car, but unfortunate
By VWkid

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for less than a month and it is fantastic. It drives well, looks great, and has tons of extras, all for a low price, now and when it was new. I love the car.

Favorite Features

The leather touches, sunroof, sporty spoiler and lights, and that it's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The remote works only from like 20 feet away, otherwise great.

I'll never BUY a VW again!
By Mitch

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After 6 mnts of owning the car it was in the shop weekly.There was some kind of light that prevented me from taking my car out of park!what!?Then for no reason the back seat belt tightened up to the point that it would not move, it was so tight that it was ruining the leather in the car.Then I was told I needed new spark plugs and a spark plug wire set,it was $13 per spark plug and the wire set was $350!Total it was about $500 for a simple fix! Then my coil pack went bad which was $600 plus they told me that my coil pack ruined my plugs and wires again,(happened about a week after i already replaced the plugs and wires). I dumped that car at a dealership and will never own a German car again!

Favorite Features

The only good thing to say about it was that it had a really nice ride on the highway. Thats IT!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!!! I bought a VW cause I heard that they were very reliable, LOL. It was the biggest money pit. First they need to make their parts cheaper so that u can actually afford to fix the car, and change the CPU so that u can use knock off brands without messing something else up in the car!

So far ok.....
By Ken

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and lucked out with a really nice, 85,000 one owner car. As with all Jettas both front power windows did not work but the dealer I bought it from replaced them for me. The car stinks off the line but is pretty peppy when up to speed, maybe the manuals are better? Had to replace the timing belt and went ahead and replaced the ater pump and serpentine belt. Trust me you WANT to do all this at the same time and try and do it yourself. Parts cost me less than $100, but if you paid someone to do it it would cost you. Fit and finish is good, cup holders are beyond a joke. Ride is good even with me stepping up to 17" wheels.MPG could B better getting 25.

Favorite Features

Body, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders stink, make more parts available and cheaper.

Jetta's run over 200,000K If treated well
By carguyexpert

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have owned 2 Jettas 1999 and a 1995. One Got into an accident and had a little over 175,000 miles and the other is still running till this day at 206,000. Jettas are great reliable cars. If somone has a complaint about jetta's they either got the very few bad ones out of the bunch or the previous owner just mistreated it before it came to you. My aunt has one that is over 250,000 miles and running. If these cars are well maintained they run like champs for a very very long time.