Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I like this car
By Firefly

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

When I bought this car (still under warranty), I had few problems like oxygen sensor not workng, My indicator light sensors not working and the major was catalytic convertor failure. But, volkswagen paid for the catlytic convertor cost. Apart from it, I really never had any major breakdowns. So far so good. I wan't to kepp it till its wheels falls off. Lets see how it goes.

Door locks automatically when you go 0.4 miles approx. Body looks sturdy. Interior front design is good. Trunk is spacious.

Remote entry key doesn't work from distances. Back room is a problem.

Buy a Honda
By 2labpups

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. Almost every interior feature has broken, I've replaced a major engine part annually, and the warranty is a joke. Yes, it handles well, and yes, the body's nice, but beyond that this car has nothing to offer. Unless you want a car that's expensive to maintain and constantly in the shop, buy a Honda.

Warranty. Interior flaws. Engine problems.

NICE!!!
By GIOVANNI

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I KNOW CARS AND THIS CAR IS GREAT ITS FAST AND ITS JUST FUN TO DRIVE. ITS JUST A DIFFERENT FEELING WHEN U DRIVE IT.. I LOVE IT. VR6 IS GREAT

ENGINE,SOUND SYSTEM AND SEATS

CUP HOLDER NOT ABOVE RADIO

Good Car
By JasonM23

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I really like this car. It has a good mix of features, fuel mileage, and handling for a low price. You do have rattles from time to time but the engine runs very well. My check engine light comes on, but it is only an emmisions indication. Don't worry too much about it, it will go off in a few days after in recalibrates. The windows are not the greatest,, but the car is really fun to drive and I love the fuel economy

Handling, cd changer, sunroof. Great daily driver. I always look at my buddies driving big suvs to work. I have never missed a day due to snow.......so why would I need an suv??? I would rather spend the $$$ on something else than gas.

Could work on the little things that can become annoying..rattles, windows, and check emissions light

Fun-but noisy
By Knickerbocker

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I live in a big city where small parking spots and tight turning radious are at a premium. The car never lacks for power and can do circles around all of the 8 cylinder taxis, as well as easily cruising at 80 MPH on the interstates. The short wheel base base makes the car very responsive, but it does cause you to rock forward and backward a little-but that is the same with any small car. One mechanical problem with the air sensor, but VW just the warranty and is paying even though I repared it two years ago. Negatives: serious wind noise and some interior parts (rear ashtry, rear cup holder, front-passenger door handle, wood grain) have jamed, cracked or just broke.

tight turning; powerful engine; relatively large trunk; cool blue lights on dash; heated seats--nice.

move the cupholders, they block the radio when in use--I think VW has fixed this in newer models. Reduce the wind noise with better design or more insulation.