1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Window Issues!
By SLC on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I loved my Jetta but can't wait to get rid of it now! I enjoyed almost three good years of driving before the first automatic (front, driver's side) window went out. It was not under warranty and cost $370 to replace. In the last six months, both rear passenger windows have also slipped off track and require new kits. I can handle one window, but three out of four is a serious problem! Buyer beware!

VW is my God!!!
By Ghodd on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have had this car for about 2 1/2 months now i purchased a black used 5 speed Jetta with 64,838 miles on it...i know its high mileage but i havent had any engine problems yet..the fuel economy is perfect, the only problem i need to get fixed is minor. My right passenger window i think the motor burned out so i have to get a new one, AND sometimes when i lock my door with the lock button on my key the car locks but the drivers side door the actually lock its self doesnt lock but it engages the alaram so i have to unlock then lock it again..but that only happens sometimes..its not a big deal.

Volkswagon Sucks!!
By Michelesb on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

We have had so many problems with this car! We have had electrical problems with the radio and windows, the car does not shift well (it has an automatic transmission), we have to replace the rotars every year. We only drive the car 18 miles a day and consistently have to pay between $300 - $700 every year to get the car past inspection. The interior of the car is supposed to be stain resistant but get stained with a small amount of WATER. Our interior is a mess mostly from water stains. We thought that Volkswagons were very reliable, quality cars... we wil NEVER purchase another VW!

Early year '99 Jetta
By JRo on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Fun car to drive. Highly recommend 5- speed manual over automatic. Handles curves like a dream. Little maintenance issues bothersome, but car still worth every penny.

Great German Car
By jettaguy on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Be Nicer!! Any car made in Mexico is gonna have some bugs. Ive had some minor issues, nothing my mechanic and I couldnt help. After 55k miles, and regular maintenence I couldnt be happier. I drive hard, and fast, I punish my engine and brakes. They've never let me down. * a note for those of you who are always in the shop... make sure that the mechanic you use is REALLY qualified to tackle what you throw at them. NEVER go to a mechanic that also services American cars too, German cars require more finesse and expert tuning. Don't trust anyone but a German Dealership to do your work on a German Car.

Not a Safe Car! Buy a Volvo!
By jessicarigaud on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This car was recalled four times before it was involved in a mojor accident! The car was totaled and non of the four air bags deployed. VW had the nerve to say the car did what it was supposted to do. Half of the hood and its mechanical parts were left on the side of the road, but not the AIR BAGS! My families 6th and last VW / Audi product!

Jetta
By baileycat on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After owning this car for 4 years, I have had a few small things to fail on this car. The remote key/alarm doesn't lock the doors with 100% accuracy, the lights for the ac/heater stopped working, and the passenger window last week went down and didn't go back up (it went off the track). Overall, I've enjoyed good performance and reliability. I will in the future steer clear of automobiles manufactured in Mexico.

I love my car , but woudn't buy it again
By kimjo on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I love my car, but with 37k miles, it's a lemon and VOA isn't standing behind their product. The automatic key broke & the only solution is to repalce the key for $100, the passenger window fell off the track & slide into the door. The dashboard lights have burnt out 2x, the glove box fell off the hinge and unfortunately the list goes on..... Ironically, none of these problems occurred until the past 4 months, which is when i bought the car outright from the lease. Don't even consider a test drive, just walk away.

German Junk
By philomela on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

If you're looking for a reliable car, don't look at a Jetta VR6. This week's repair--new catalytic converter. 2 weeks before that it was an O2 sensor and in the last year, trunk sensor, temperature gauge sensor, mass air intake sensor, and the window regulator. Things that still need repair: fuel gauge sensor, dash lights, and seat levers for both front seats are broken.

Very pleased
By mesamie on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my Jetta. I bought it used with 18,000 miles on it. Yes, I had the problem with the O2 sensor, but it was replaced free of charge. I replaced tires and brakes. Big deal. Performance has been great. I do a lot of traveling and haven't had any problems to date. (Let me knock on wood). I hope to replace it next year with a Passat. German cars have always been my favorites. Has 72,000 miles and runs like a top.