1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Steer clear of this one!!
By hate_my_jetta on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After two year warrenty ended, I have poured dollar after dollar into this car. I only drive it about 11,000 miles per year. Over the past 6-9 months I have replaced the power steering rack ($1200), the catalytic converter ($900), all four brake pads and rotors ($700 because warning light never told me pads were low), both front windows have fallen off the tract (VW paid), replaced three different kinds of sensors ($800) etc. (I'm running out of space...) Complete lemon. Others I know have had same problems.

My Wolfsburg
By Arthur Seabra on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car and so far it has been a very reliable car and is extremly fun to drive. The car has nice performance and is very easily upgradable.

Never a VW again!!!!
By So disappointed! on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

1. I heard a big noisy explosion under the hood,the fumes were coming out everywhere, it was the battery that exploded covering all the engine with acid, 2. a fuse block that started to smoke, dealership said everything was fine, came back and had to use the extinguisher to fight the flames coming out of the battery, battery case, fuse blocks and everything around it. 3. had to replace the mass flow sensor (twice) 4. Glove box replaced (twice), 5. O2 sensor, 6. Replace tail lights every three months, 7. having to clean that yellow ooze coming down from the doors,8. Now it's overheating but dealer said there is no problem...

Don't buy this piece of junk!!!
By jody on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I wish I had bought an Acura RSX for just allittle more money. Everything just keeps on going wrong with this car, for example cruise won't work, fuel latch won't work, remote entry won't work half the time, O2 sensor went bad, finally the transmission threw a gear uot the side of it. By the way a new transmission from vw is $2,500. I HATE THIS CAR!! Oh yeah the sorry cup holder broke. I guess I just got burned.

piece of #!*!
By Mac Man on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I purchased my jetta used, stupid me! First off the O2 sensor went out, then the fuel latch won't latch anymore, the cruise only works 1/3 of the time, yellow goo leaks out the bottom of the doors in summer, then finally the biggst of all problems the transmission failed at 58500 miles. BIGGEST mistake I've ever made. Consider something else before you make the mistake I made.

Great Ride!
By VW on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

One of the best cars I have ever owned!

Really, Don't Do it!
By grumpyJettaOwner on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have spent so much time in the shop with this car it is hard to think where to start. I really hate it. I have heard that if you can get one that was made in Germany, they are good quality cars. Mine was made in good ol Mexico, and have trouble with it regularly. fuel pump, window motors, AC pump, fog lights, head lights, and so on. The muffler fell off. VW wanted $400 just for the part. ouch! I spend no less that $1,500 on it annually.

King of the corners
By Feeman on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

The 2.0 liter 8v is sluggish. This, however, is the only complaint I can make about this beautiful European car. Although it doesn't feel that stable, it can take corners faster than is legal in most jurisdictions. Interior design is typical flawless VAG quality. Everything is laid out logically and is well placed. The sound system delivers crisp highs and mids, and decent lows. The 5-speed shifts smoothly, and the clutch provides no fight. The best thing is, this car has 145,000 miles on it, and it is still running perfectly, with a smooth idle. It still pulls strong right up to the redline. VW reliability proves itself once again. Excellent car.

poor manufacturing quality
By jis on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My dashboard was put in crooked at the factory, something I did not notice for several months. I had all the usual problems with the oxygen and mass airflow sensors, replaced 3 or 4 times (I forget which), cupholders, green ooze in the doors, poor key, 2 second delay when getting into gear on the automatic transmission. etc. Also an "endearing" noise in the front dash that occurs each year at through the cold weather season. Probably some metal parts contracting and vibrating in the cold. I contacted the president of VW in Germany, got a letter back from Germany saying that some one in the US would come out and look at my car. No one ever showed.

Didn't suck too bad
By VWJustOK on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I enjoyed my Jetta over the two years I drove it - however I had a few problems. The window mechanism broke as I was driving down the highway, brakepads wore out quickly, car was generally very noisy, ect. However, it was fun to drive.