Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Beware of the Jetta
By kerryk_21

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

You may look good driving a Jetta but you wont look so cute shelling out money every month for repairs. In less than two years I have replaced the cerpentine belt,the passenger window fell through the door,shocks and brakes, mass air flow filter, many small repairs, $40 oil changes and last but not least the catalytic converter. This single part costs around $1,000 and usually lasts the lifetime of most cars but not the jetta. The cup holder needs to be thrown out the window and I dont know what to do with the gunk that drips from the doors! You've been warned!

The blue dash lights are great! Love my key fab!Steering and handling is wonderful! It is a fun car to drive.

New cup holders, overall improvements on engine life, more quality in exterior lights life time.

Tired of getting it to the shop
By mtj

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Like so many other owners, I've loved my Jetta-it is stylish and fun to drive, but I am tired of taking it to the shop every 8-10 weeks for something or other to be fixed! The things that brake are like others: glove box twice, motor to gas cap misfuntioned, tail lights always going out, etc. Not critical, but they are annoying. Seems like as soon as I have left the dealership, the next thing goes. VW has been good about incurring the expense for many repairs, but I am tired of arranging rides to the dealership to pick it up. It'll break my heart, but it is time to end this relationship. I won't make the same mistake again

It drives like a car of good quality- doors are heavy, feels sturdy, etc. I like the styling.

They need more reliable, high quality parts! It is clear where they cut costs. Now it is costing them customers.

Problems with Jetta
By S. Adams

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I purchased this car thinking I wouldn't have a lot of repairs. Numerous problems have occurred: oxygen sensor replaced 3 times, driver visor replaced, cup holder replaced(2) passenger seat spring replaced, catalytic converter replaced, air conditioner compressor replaced, 1 keyless remote doesn't work, rust in trunk, engine light on 4 times, batteries (2), mass air flow meter replaced, wires replaced, throttle body replaced, timing belt, V-belt, 2 tensioners replaced, car jerks when changing gears (dealer can't explain), ticking noise under hood (dealer cant explain); not to mention regular maintenance. I will never purchase another VW vehicle.

Initially, I was very pleased with the car-style, ride, fuel economy, features, and size. However, that has changed.

Volkswagen Corporation needs to honor warranties and fix the problems with this car that so many owners are having and stop giving customers the run around. I will never recommend this car to anyone.

Earlay 99 GLX
By Inver306

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new right off the truck. I have had no problems with this car. I felt the suspension was a bit soft so I upgraded it with a Stage 3 Newspeed suspension, which included springs, struts and big anti-roll bars, a huge improvement. Latest mods include 17" wheels and a Newspeed chip. The car has developed some rattles and squeaks, but I understand that they all do. Car has 53k miles on it now and still looks and runs new. I've love the VR6 since new and have taken several long trips with it; the car is a great compromise of space, comfort and performance. I think I'll keep it for a while longer.

Engine, interior, stereo.

Should have come from the factory with a stiffer suspension and better tires

Very Pleased
By Burgstrom03

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

A great car that drives great and is fun.

Blue/Red backlighting, moonroof