Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 189 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My badass vr6 Volkswagen Jetta
By Ben

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I love my Jetta vr6 2.8 liter it's fast I'm going to be adding a turbo to it the only thing about it is that I do not like about the car was replacing parts that expensive hard to find for the vr6 otherwise the car is great to drive looks nice on the road with all the fences stuff that I put on it hard to find the right suspension system to lower my car now I gotta replace the clutch after 182000 miles on the car but the cars been great to me never had major problems so now is time to give her stage 1 racing clutch and a full air suspension ride behandle bility and replace my 17 inch low profile rims and tires for 18 inch low profile rims and tires my wife hates the car because I love my car more than I love her Thank You Volkswagen I wish you made another vr6 in the newer model with the sunroof I would buy it in a heartbeat but now I will not give up this car no matter what even for new one even if you gave it to me for free I still would not trade it in for seems to me every time I go by the dealership somebody's always offering money to buy my vr6 they said it's hard to find and very rare in this condition special all the things I've added to the car to make sure dress up beautiful and fast it's hard to give up something that you built by hand

The miracle find
By joanjetta

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just bought my 1999 VW Jetta, private sale, and it only had 97K on the vehicle. I reconditioned it this weekend and I honestly can't believe this car is 16 years old. It drove well on the ride around the block, so I just knew it had potential to be one of these cars that you hear about making it to 300K. So I have taken the maintenance schedule in stages, because I am not under any illusions that things won't need to be replaced, BUT it will still be cheaper than making a car payment and paying full coverage insurance and maintenance costs.

Now before people start doubting me, I ran that Auto check report and that is what made my mind up. It was clean. No accidents, water damage, nothing. The vehicle itself was clean, except for needing a new paint job, solar wear. No rips or tears to the interior. All routine maintenance was kept up on. I love the potential of this car and I had asked the seller if the car had a name...nope, never gave her one. Since my Jetta is Black, named her JoanJetta...after the tuneups and winterizing, dressing her in new tires and replaced one hub cap and a new battery...I am letting you all know it's worth it.

All I can see is that a lot of the features I love about this year of production is not in the newer models. Great trunk space, and just the general feel of the vehicle. This is a used vehicle that you don't feel ashamed to drive. It makes you want to take it as far as it can go. With a new car, some makes and models make you wonder if it will still be running by the time you pay off the bank note. Maybe this will only happen once in my life that I happen to find that 'miracle car' VW needs to come out with extended maintenance recommendations for the ultra long life cars...because they are truly amazing.

Great Car Overall
By michaelb1850

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I purchased this car new. I've had many of the same cosmetic problems as others, ie.. broken window regulator (twice, driver side), broken glove box, broken armrest cover, cup holder. I've had multiple teenage drivers, it's been in the body shop more than once. Mechanically it's a wonder! It is now 13 years old with over 275,000 mi on it and it is still on the original engine and transmission (automatic). The only major maintenance has been replacing the timing belt three times I think and a coolant pump. I've had to replace the blower fan and am now having problems with the A/C control but hey, it's 13 yo. If they can get the cosmetic things fixed it would be perfect. Getting
22 - 25 mpg.

They really need to address the quality of the interior parts such as the cup holder, glove box, etc.

Has some problems, Love it anyway
By midna139

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Although it had some issues, like needing the ignition system replaced (Around $400 DIY), I love this car. I've been getting good gas milage and adequate performance. Mine has just over 160,000 miles on it, though the previous owner mistreated it. If you don't want to do any DIY car repair, I would not recommend this car. Otherwise, go for it. I use mine to get to and from school every day along with the occasional road trip and have never had any reliability issues with it. If you do get one, get yourself a good service manual and a metric socket set. I have the GLX 2.8L VR6 engine with the five speed manual transmission.

Fun to drive Good gas mileage for engine size Adequate supply of aftermarket parts Heated seats Power Moonroof

Clean up the rat's nest of wiring behind the fuse box Improve light output from headlights Make euro style light switch standard

Jetta's run over 200,000K If treated well
By carguyexpert

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have owned 2 Jettas 1999 and a 1995. One Got into an accident and had a little over 175,000 miles and the other is still running till this day at 206,000. Jettas are great reliable cars. If somone has a complaint about jetta's they either got the very few bad ones out of the bunch or the previous owner just mistreated it before it came to you. My aunt has one that is over 250,000 miles and running. If these cars are well maintained they run like champs for a very very long time.