1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great car, for an automatic
By mike p on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

i bought the car a coulpe years ago, other then the problems that i caused i haven't had any. i've had two jetta's my VR6 which i love, and a 1.8t that was not so good to me. really its a hit and miss the these cars the VR6 headlight are shot and the cup holders are falling out but still work,other then that the leather is in perfect condition and the interior is just awesome overall. the 1.8t although 5 speed between the trany, clutch, oil leaks, break dust all over my expencive rims, arm rest, and others it had to go. the VR6 has plenty of power and good handling if i can keep up with 09 cobalt ss T/C and eat RX-8's for breakfast i won't complain, untill i can do more under the hood

Great Car!
By ali on 05/08/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We have had this car as our family car for a little over a year and it runs and handles great! It is 10 years old and has 138,000 miles on it and we have only ever changed a tire and the oil. I agree that the cup holder is cheap and ours is broken too. Our emergency break is not working but it is I guess an easy fix nad the washer flid doest work, leaky hose. The sound system is great. We took it on 2400 mile round trip amd it did great. Very peppy! Love this car!

I'll never BUY a VW again!
By Mitch on 05/07/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After 6 mnts of owning the car it was in the shop weekly.There was some kind of light that prevented me from taking my car out of park!what!?Then for no reason the back seat belt tightened up to the point that it would not move, it was so tight that it was ruining the leather in the car.Then I was told I needed new spark plugs and a spark plug wire set,it was $13 per spark plug and the wire set was $350!Total it was about $500 for a simple fix! Then my coil pack went bad which was $600 plus they told me that my coil pack ruined my plugs and wires again,(happened about a week after i already replaced the plugs and wires). I dumped that car at a dealership and will never own a German car again!

One for the road
By Ray on 03/13/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This was the Jetta IV. I bought it new with a sunroof, VR6, 5 speed manual, mag wheels. It was my third VW. I expected a well constructed, reliable, German automobile with fair service at the dealership. It is reliable, but something is always in need of repair. Service at a dealer is a killer... $700+ to replace an alternator. Problems: the alternator, springs keep falling out of the front seats, cup holder breaks easily, glove compartment door broke, AM radio has never worked, regulators on two front windows broke, motor on right rear window shot, both water pumps repleaced, MAF sensor replaced, O2 sensors in cat replaced, antenna cracked, headlight covers have fogged over, surge

I'll miss my lil green homey
By dgrundei on 09/27/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car used with 43k miles on it from a private seller who bought it new and took excellent car of it. I have since put roughly 75k miles on it and have invested over $7,500 in maintenence unrelated to regular wear and tear. If something goes wrong, it's usually expensive. I had a lot of issues with the fuel system, replacing the fuel injectors and intake manifold. Had some issues with the wipers at 100,000 but replaced the motor myself for about 30 bucks. Otherwise, I love driving the VR6. It's fun, trendy, relatively fuel efficient. The heated leather is nice and comfy, the moonroof is perfect for nice weather. Other than sucking my wallet dry with maintenence, I loved this car!

The "Not-Worth-It" Mobile
By Lily on 07/14/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car because my best pal (Nissan 240sx) was totalled in a wreck that was not my fault. I needed a car before work on Monday, but didn't do as much research as I could have. I loved the styling on the Jetta and wanted a 4 door sedan, but I didn't know what I was in for. Immediately I had to go back to the dealer for an engine coolant system fix (which they couldn't do, they had to send to the VW dealer). Then other parts started breaking - glove compartment, center console, other misc. plastic interior parts, passenger's door jamb, windshield wiper fluid thingy, etc. Now I have a fuel pressure problem and a broken AC that I have already fixed once - don't buy this car!

99 Jetta GLS VR6
By kgbarlow on 01/05/05 21:45 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Fun to drive and looks hot, but the reliabilty is poor. Since it is the first year of the new model, the kinks were not worked out. Numerous problems with electronics. Yet, it is a sporty drive.

Wish I would've researched this one!!
By iamatester on 11/23/04 14:49 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Just bought my 5th VW, this time a '99 VR6. So far I am impressed, but like everyone else, the Check Engine light has been the bane of my existence. Not sure why it randomly comes on and off. Other than that, I love the power. For the door squeaks I use a product called Gummipflege (German product- which you can get at any BMW parts store), Best product ever for removing squeaks. My last car was a 04 1.8T, and I never should've gotten rid of it, but wifey needed a new car, so I sold that and got her an Odyssey. Oh well, I will always stick with VW, but the Scion tC has caught my eye, as well as it's sticker price.

Lucky to have a good VW
By Danny on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

Amazed at some of the issues that I have found on this board. I was lucky enough to find one of the good ones I guess. I have logged over 69,000 miles on mine, and have only had to replaced a temperature sensor, which was expensive. The only time my engine light comes on is when I get into the lower states like Ar, Tx, etc. (gas issue maybe).I have a 1999 with 111,000 miles so I guess if the only thing that I have replaced is the sensor I will consider my self lucky. Nice car to have on the highway. Trunk light works when it wants is another problem that I do have.

NICE!!!
By GIOVANNI on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I KNOW CARS AND THIS CAR IS GREAT ITS FAST AND ITS JUST FUN TO DRIVE. ITS JUST A DIFFERENT FEELING WHEN U DRIVE IT.. I LOVE IT. VR6 IS GREAT