Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 (1999.5) Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great car, for an automatic
By mike p

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

i bought the car a coulpe years ago, other then the problems that i caused i haven't had any. i've had two jetta's my VR6 which i love, and a 1.8t that was not so good to me. really its a hit and miss the these cars the VR6 headlight are shot and the cup holders are falling out but still work,other then that the leather is in perfect condition and the interior is just awesome overall. the 1.8t although 5 speed between the trany, clutch, oil leaks, break dust all over my expencive rims, arm rest, and others it had to go. the VR6 has plenty of power and good handling if i can keep up with 09 cobalt ss T/C and eat RX-8's for breakfast i won't complain, untill i can do more under the hood

Favorite Features

the VR6 runs and sounds amazing the car looks great for being a '99. plenty of aftermarket parts for guys like me who get bored easy

Suggested Improvements

keep up the good work love the new jetta's cant wait to upgrade to one in a few years

Great Car!
By ali

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

We have had this car as our family car for a little over a year and it runs and handles great! It is 10 years old and has 138,000 miles on it and we have only ever changed a tire and the oil. I agree that the cup holder is cheap and ours is broken too. Our emergency break is not working but it is I guess an easy fix nad the washer flid doest work, leaky hose. The sound system is great. We took it on 2400 mile round trip amd it did great. Very peppy! Love this car!

Favorite Features

Sound system, heated seats, easy and fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

cup holder!!! stronger mat snaps better gas mileage

I'll never BUY a VW again!
By Mitch

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

After 6 mnts of owning the car it was in the shop weekly.There was some kind of light that prevented me from taking my car out of park!what!?Then for no reason the back seat belt tightened up to the point that it would not move, it was so tight that it was ruining the leather in the car.Then I was told I needed new spark plugs and a spark plug wire set,it was $13 per spark plug and the wire set was $350!Total it was about $500 for a simple fix! Then my coil pack went bad which was $600 plus they told me that my coil pack ruined my plugs and wires again,(happened about a week after i already replaced the plugs and wires). I dumped that car at a dealership and will never own a German car again!

Favorite Features

The only good thing to say about it was that it had a really nice ride on the highway. Thats IT!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!!! I bought a VW cause I heard that they were very reliable, LOL. It was the biggest money pit. First they need to make their parts cheaper so that u can actually afford to fix the car, and change the CPU so that u can use knock off brands without messing something else up in the car!

One for the road
By Ray

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

This was the Jetta IV. I bought it new with a sunroof, VR6, 5 speed manual, mag wheels. It was my third VW. I expected a well constructed, reliable, German automobile with fair service at the dealership. It is reliable, but something is always in need of repair. Service at a dealer is a killer... $700+ to replace an alternator. Problems: the alternator, springs keep falling out of the front seats, cup holder breaks easily, glove compartment door broke, AM radio has never worked, regulators on two front windows broke, motor on right rear window shot, both water pumps repleaced, MAF sensor replaced, O2 sensors in cat replaced, antenna cracked, headlight covers have fogged over, surge

Favorite Features

Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

See above.

I'll miss my lil green homey
By dgrundei

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car used with 43k miles on it from a private seller who bought it new and took excellent car of it. I have since put roughly 75k miles on it and have invested over $7,500 in maintenence unrelated to regular wear and tear. If something goes wrong, it's usually expensive. I had a lot of issues with the fuel system, replacing the fuel injectors and intake manifold. Had some issues with the wipers at 100,000 but replaced the motor myself for about 30 bucks. Otherwise, I love driving the VR6. It's fun, trendy, relatively fuel efficient. The heated leather is nice and comfy, the moonroof is perfect for nice weather. Other than sucking my wallet dry with maintenence, I loved this car!

Favorite Features

2.8 Litre V6 is quick. Trendy design. Fuel economy. Heated leather. Moonroof. Pretty violet dashboard lights. Factory sound system is spectacular. Great stability at high speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable! The cup holders are absolutely awful but it's kind of neat how they pop out of the dash, until they break.