Used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

So far ok.....
By Ken

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and lucked out with a really nice, 85,000 one owner car. As with all Jettas both front power windows did not work but the dealer I bought it from replaced them for me. The car stinks off the line but is pretty peppy when up to speed, maybe the manuals are better? Had to replace the timing belt and went ahead and replaced the ater pump and serpentine belt. Trust me you WANT to do all this at the same time and try and do it yourself. Parts cost me less than $100, but if you paid someone to do it it would cost you. Fit and finish is good, cup holders are beyond a joke. Ride is good even with me stepping up to 17" wheels.MPG could B better getting 25.

Body, stereo

Cup holders stink, make more parts available and cheaper.

Solid for the most part, but not awesome
By BCgoalie

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought this car wanting a fun-to-drive compact sedan, and that's what I got. Unfortunately, there have been a few costly problems. At first, the car was in commendable condition, but some cosmetics like the glovebox, radio antenna and side molding on the doors have started to fall apart. The engine and transmission have been completely problem-free, but electronic issues with the power windows and a moody stereo system have a tendency to break. Overall though, the car has been extremely reliable, is peppy and good looking, and my next car will be another VW!

The power sunroof, classy and luxurious interior, and sporty appearance.

Everything that has gone wrong in every other mk3 jetta i've heard about; power windows, glovebox, door trim, etc. Although it looks like the new jettas took care of those for the most part

VW wolf 1999
By dionj82

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This was a reliable and fun car. I never had any mechanical problems whatsoever. The only electrical issue i ran into was of course the window regulator and the instrument cluster. I loved the sound system and the body style most about the car. Sadly my wife was in a wreck which totaled my jetta, whats amazing is she had no injuries. The safety features were on point. Overall i would say say its a decent car to own!

Sound system and body style.

Window regulators need to be replaced free of charge...$400 is not cool!

Solid car, just a few quirks
By dmoir

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car is my second car and I love it. Outside of annoying issues like power window failure and freeze- happy parking brakes (a side effect of single digit temperatures), this car has been nothing but great. Awesome features like the sunroof and stereo, leather steering wheel, etc. The car isn't fast, but it feels sporty with the 5-speed manual and turns out great gas mileage. Overall a great car, I can't wait to get my next VW!

Sporty look with alloy wheels and spoiler, tinted taillights. Sunroof, stereo, and high-quality interior are excellent.

Power windows are a pain to fix, but VW fixed them on the later generations. Seals on Parking brake are falling apart, but the car is pretty old and worn down...

Solid!
By VWdriver

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

After reading reviews of this model and trim level, I was a little wary about purchasing this vehicle. But all of my worries have been disproven, as this car is awesome. The only problems I have had were from the buyer passing on due maintenance, and otherwise I LOVE this car. It is fast, fun, the stick shift's smooth, the interior is fantastic, I love the sporty boxed-out styling, the sunroof and remote locks work flawlessly, and the trunk is cavernous, bigger than my old 96 accord's. 95,000 miles and still going like a tank, no problems with the drivetrain. This car is great because of the extra touches: the dialed in steering, the wolfsburg leather accents, everyhthing. This car is great!!

The leather steering wheel, sporty taillights and spoiler, and manual tranny.

Sometimes key takes some jiggling to get it to move in ignition, no problem with starter, just key insert thing. plus low end torque is a little low, but gas mileage is fantastic.