1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So far ok.....
By Ken on 03/16/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and lucked out with a really nice, 85,000 one owner car. As with all Jettas both front power windows did not work but the dealer I bought it from replaced them for me. The car stinks off the line but is pretty peppy when up to speed, maybe the manuals are better? Had to replace the timing belt and went ahead and replaced the ater pump and serpentine belt. Trust me you WANT to do all this at the same time and try and do it yourself. Parts cost me less than $100, but if you paid someone to do it it would cost you. Fit and finish is good, cup holders are beyond a joke. Ride is good even with me stepping up to 17" wheels.MPG could B better getting 25.

Solid for the most part, but not awesome
By BCgoalie on 03/20/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought this car wanting a fun-to-drive compact sedan, and that's what I got. Unfortunately, there have been a few costly problems. At first, the car was in commendable condition, but some cosmetics like the glovebox, radio antenna and side molding on the doors have started to fall apart. The engine and transmission have been completely problem-free, but electronic issues with the power windows and a moody stereo system have a tendency to break. Overall though, the car has been extremely reliable, is peppy and good looking, and my next car will be another VW!

VW wolf 1999
By dionj82 on 12/29/08 12:57 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This was a reliable and fun car. I never had any mechanical problems whatsoever. The only electrical issue i ran into was of course the window regulator and the instrument cluster. I loved the sound system and the body style most about the car. Sadly my wife was in a wreck which totaled my jetta, whats amazing is she had no injuries. The safety features were on point. Overall i would say say its a decent car to own!

Solid car, just a few quirks
By dmoir on 12/16/08 21:30 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

This car is my second car and I love it. Outside of annoying issues like power window failure and freeze- happy parking brakes (a side effect of single digit temperatures), this car has been nothing but great. Awesome features like the sunroof and stereo, leather steering wheel, etc. The car isn't fast, but it feels sporty with the 5-speed manual and turns out great gas mileage. Overall a great car, I can't wait to get my next VW!

Solid!
By VWdriver on 11/11/07 20:32 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

After reading reviews of this model and trim level, I was a little wary about purchasing this vehicle. But all of my worries have been disproven, as this car is awesome. The only problems I have had were from the buyer passing on due maintenance, and otherwise I LOVE this car. It is fast, fun, the stick shift's smooth, the interior is fantastic, I love the sporty boxed-out styling, the sunroof and remote locks work flawlessly, and the trunk is cavernous, bigger than my old 96 accord's. 95,000 miles and still going like a tank, no problems with the drivetrain. This car is great because of the extra touches: the dialed in steering, the wolfsburg leather accents, everyhthing. This car is great!!

Great Car, but unfortunate
By VWkid on 09/01/07 17:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for less than a month and it is fantastic. It drives well, looks great, and has tons of extras, all for a low price, now and when it was new. I love the car.

Scap Metal on Wheels
By scrapMetalWithEngine on 02/10/07 08:47 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I loved my Jetta when I bought it, until one day the air conditioning blew hot and would cost $1,300 to fix due to compressor failure, the windows motors went out before that, so now my car is a portable sauna. It has an oil leek, the automatic transmission automatically drops itself into neutral. The silver paint is oxidizing and rusting (this shouldn't happen), and the dip stick broken and inaccurate. I also agree that the recline twist handle is midevil torture. The timing belt rotated and caused my engine to turn off and not start. This happened while driving...scary and costly. All in all, I'd rather burn my money than buy a '99 Jetta Wolfsburg. Oh yeah and my seat magically came unbolted. The speedometer works once a week if I'm lucky

Lots of Trouble
By neveragain on 12/10/06 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I put a lot of work into this car when I bought it used. It only had 65,000 miles miles on it. At 75,000 miles it had a major break down and I had to put $3,000 of work into it. Also, this car's body lean around corners is terrible. I think it contributed to the car spinning out twice. Both times I was going around a corner at less than 10 mph more than the posted limit. I've never had a car spin out on me before, and I have driven a lot of cars. On the upside, the body is quite sturdy and didn't damage much on impact though the seatbelt injured me. The transmission on the automatic never seemed to want to shift up even though I had it serviced when I bought it. It could have been abused, but still.... This car was a bit of a money pit.

Style Over Substance
By AK Jetta on 10/08/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

We really liked the style and the roomy interior and trunk. However, we had several problems including: driver window failure; body trim falling off; radio controls quit working; turn signal lever stopped working; throttle body had to be replaced and other mechanical issues. This all happened at various stages of our eight year ownership. The first few years went smoothly and the car now has 92,000 miles. I probably would not buy another Jetta, but this one made it through three cross-country trips, including one to Alaska.

Used to Love VW
By Brian B on 08/08/06 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Jetta new with a 100,000 mile warranty. The starter went out at 38,000 miles (not covered). The window motor went out at 42,000 miles (not covered). The side molding came off at 50,000 miles (not covered). Now the stereo volume doesn't work properly and the big one, I need a new tranny and the clutch went out at 65,000 miles (probably covered but forgot to take it to the dealer). Oh yeah, my second starter went out at 55,000 miles and my second and third window motors are gone.