1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
1999 Volkswagen Jetta
By VW 3 on 09/29/06 03:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my VW Jetta and it has been great for a year. I had problems with the dash lights behind the temperature panel. Then it started to have electrical problems. I could not open the gas filler door, then the alarm would not lock the doors, then the trunk light went out and only turns on when it wants. Next the A/C broke. Oh, the glove box is hanging by one hinge. On the positive side, I love the ride and it can do high speeds on the highway. Its gas mileage is great. I would say the quality needs to get better. I bought this car because my Mom owned a '73 Bug and never had a problem. Then I owned it and never had a problem. I mistakenly thought the Jetta would be the same.

Adam Sandler's Car Song must be a Jetta
By Never again! on 06/20/06 18:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

All of the problems listed here I have dealt with too, except for the green stuff in the door. The latest: it thinks it is in reverse when it is in park. It won't start in park (only in neutral). When I have it in drive all the gears light up on the instrument panel. My mechanic called TWO VW dealers and VW claims that they have never heard of such a thing! Mechanically the car is in park, but the computer senses it's in reverse. (I replaced the neutral safety switch because that's what they thought was wrong, but it wasn't that ... $250 down the drain). I will NEVER buy another VW.

This car is a...
By poor choice on 01/16/06 21:46 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

The electrical system on my 1999 Volkswagen Jetta is a nightmare. Push the button down and the window goes up. The flashers went out 4 times in 5 years. I also really enjoyed the weird green oily junk that comes out of the doors in warm weather. In cold weather, ice builds up behind the doors to the point it caused a dent when I opened the door. Leaves, pine needles etc. have no problem finding their way into the trunk and door trim. Don't even think about trying to replace the bulb in the tail light, that requires a trip to the dealership.

solid compact car
By d_miller81 on 12/17/04 16:08 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This was my second Volkswagen. I bought this vehicle as a certified used car with a generous warranty. I have had NO problems with this car. It has never needed any mechanical service besides standard service. It handles great with "H" rated tires. I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket CD player, the factory speakers sound great. I get about 33 mpg on highway. this car is fun to drive and the 5 speed is smooth and simple. This car is bullet proof. It has gotten me out of trouble more than once with its awesome handling and braking. Can't say enough good things about this model.

NEVER again!
By Don't buy a Jetta on 11/17/04 17:42 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

It is not a reliable car. Does not like going up hills, does't like snow, power windows stink-mine would start going up & down independently then caught on fire (no flames but lots of smoke in my car right behind my head), alloy wheels break when you hit a pothole - mine were discontinued so they don't match now, alternater and starter both replaced, antifreeze leaks ($18/gal), got stranded/towed 2 times in the past year, spark plugs and other wires not good, and now the transmission will not shift ... its not a safe car when you pull out of a toll booth on a highway and can't get above 40! I can't even think what else is wrong with the car, I would never buy another one.

never again!!!!!!
By poncho on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

never drain the transmission fluid it takes a special machine to put in back in and $400.00 later! cup holder oh those things that are in my way of the thermostat! the green ooze comingout of doors. by the way did i mention don't do anything to your engine due to vw's great building of this fine car they designed it to where it only takes there fluid trans fluid $38.00 a quart! and 9 times out of 10 you have to have a machine of vw fix it!

Great First Car
By JettaBabe on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

My first car and loving it. I love the 5 speed its smooth duability. Great milage since gas has gone sky rocketing. con: manual roll down windows are time consuming, no consul in the middle

I LOVE MY JETTA!!!
By Lv2Laff on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta new in 1999 and have put over 100k on it. I was in an accident last week where a semi lost it's drive shaft and I had to go over the top of it. There was a lot of damage underneath, but due to it's great engineering, the car KEPT US SAFE. After getting fixed for about $2k, it rides as good as new. I'm giving this car to my son when he turns 16 and have not been happy with any other cars I'm looking at for myself. They should have designed the Touareg to be as comfortable as the Jetta. I will probably buy another Jetta!! Hint - after the warranty is up, find a great import mechanic and skip the dealership!!!

Avoid VW Jettas
By laurenjc on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I have had repeated problems with the engine...COSTLY repeated problems. The ENTIRE computer system of the car failed and had to be replaced...the mass air flow system replaced...oxygen sensors replaced twice. Interior problems as well; cheap quality plastics used in glove compartment hinges (snapped/broken), other broken interior items as well.

I loved my Jetta
By noofie on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I loved my Jetta until some jerk pulled out in front of it and totaled it. However, my daughter and I both were unharmed basically. I never had any probelms with the car except for the power windows broke alot. They are expensive to fix! I was never stranded because the car was very reliable. Overall, I enjoyed the car immensely.