1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
The miracle find
By joanjetta on 10/27/14 20:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I just bought my 1999 VW Jetta, private sale, and it only had 97K on the vehicle. I reconditioned it this weekend and I honestly can't believe this car is 16 years old. It drove well on the ride around the block, so I just knew it had potential to be one of these cars that you hear about making it to 300K. So I have taken the maintenance schedule in stages, because I am not under any illusions that things won't need to be replaced, BUT it will still be cheaper than making a car payment and paying full coverage insurance and maintenance costs.

Comfortable but unreliable
By bynddrvn on 06/30/14 18:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Basically constant problems. For some reason the braking system has never worked correctly, even under moderate pedal pressure the brakes pulse as though the ABS is engaged. Replaced main brake booster, front disks, and brake pads. The fenders rusted through and this is apparently a known issue for the diesel version as it has additional insulation to dampen noise. Unfortunately, the insulation also happens to suck up moisture and road salt. Around 80k miles the MAP sensor went out and just about part related to the braking system was replaced, again. At just over 100k miles the turbo started leaking oil and this gummed up the MAP sensor, EGR valve, intake, and connecting lines.

Great Car Overall
By michaelb1850 on 10/09/12 12:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I purchased this car new. I've had many of the same cosmetic problems as others, ie.. broken window regulator (twice, driver side), broken glove box, broken armrest cover, cup holder. I've had multiple teenage drivers, it's been in the body shop more than once. Mechanically it's a wonder! It is now 13 years old with over 275,000 mi on it and it is still on the original engine and transmission (automatic). The only major maintenance has been replacing the timing belt three times I think and a coolant pump. I've had to replace the blower fan and am now having problems with the A/C control but hey, it's 13 yo. If they can get the cosmetic things fixed it would be perfect. Getting 22 - 25 mpg.

Has some problems, Love it anyway
By midna139 on 03/29/12 21:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Although it had some issues, like needing the ignition system replaced (Around $400 DIY), I love this car. I've been getting good gas milage and adequate performance. Mine has just over 160,000 miles on it, though the previous owner mistreated it. If you don't want to do any DIY car repair, I would not recommend this car. Otherwise, go for it. I use mine to get to and from school every day along with the occasional road trip and have never had any reliability issues with it. If you do get one, get yourself a good service manual and a metric socket set. I have the GLX 2.8L VR6 engine with the five speed manual transmission.

Jetta's run over 200,000K If treated well
By carguyexpert on 02/16/11 19:26 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I have owned 2 Jettas 1999 and a 1995. One Got into an accident and had a little over 175,000 miles and the other is still running till this day at 206,000. Jettas are great reliable cars. If somone has a complaint about jetta's they either got the very few bad ones out of the bunch or the previous owner just mistreated it before it came to you. My aunt has one that is over 250,000 miles and running. If these cars are well maintained they run like champs for a very very long time.

Never buy a Jetta!
By Unnimpressed! on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I boutgh this car a little over a year ago and so far, not only have the glove box, cup holders and electrical problems arose, I have also replaced the transmission twice in the last 20,000 miles! Also, the fuel line, and the negative battery cables! The car is horrible! Since I've gotten it with only 50,000 miles on it, it has done nothing but drain my wallet! I also had to replace the cv axcel twice, and rust me, I'm not rough on my vehicles! I only drive it on the highway for th most part, just to and from work. It is poorly engineered, and has nothing but one problem after the next! It's cute, and gets 37mpg highway and about 32- 34mpg in town, but other than looks and gas, I HATE IT!

Love this car
By Gio313 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

My dad bouth this jetta from a friend he was a mechanic so the engine is upgated its a pretty fast car he passed the car on to me my sophmore year of highschool im a juniour now so i've had it for a year so far i only have given it an oil change n new tires for 150 i olso changed the window motors got them at the juck yard for 50 bucks pretty cheap if u get a jetta n u noe how to fix minor details u can go to "pick n pull" and get most of the parts relly cheap. Willing to buy another one anytime very reliable never broke down since my dad had it like 4 yrs before i did

Great car, for an automatic
By mike p on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (midyear)

i bought the car a coulpe years ago, other then the problems that i caused i haven't had any. i've had two jetta's my VR6 which i love, and a 1.8t that was not so good to me. really its a hit and miss the these cars the VR6 headlight are shot and the cup holders are falling out but still work,other then that the leather is in perfect condition and the interior is just awesome overall. the 1.8t although 5 speed between the trany, clutch, oil leaks, break dust all over my expencive rims, arm rest, and others it had to go. the VR6 has plenty of power and good handling if i can keep up with 09 cobalt ss T/C and eat RX-8's for breakfast i won't complain, untill i can do more under the hood

So far ok.....
By Ken on 03/16/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and lucked out with a really nice, 85,000 one owner car. As with all Jettas both front power windows did not work but the dealer I bought it from replaced them for me. The car stinks off the line but is pretty peppy when up to speed, maybe the manuals are better? Had to replace the timing belt and went ahead and replaced the ater pump and serpentine belt. Trust me you WANT to do all this at the same time and try and do it yourself. Parts cost me less than $100, but if you paid someone to do it it would cost you. Fit and finish is good, cup holders are beyond a joke. Ride is good even with me stepping up to 17" wheels.MPG could B better getting 25.

Please don't buy this car
By J.P. on 01/17/10 13:09 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (midyear)

I bought this car used and started having problems with it a week afer I bought it. I've had to spend so much money on repairs that I probably could have bought a new, reliable car instead. The windows always malfunction and fall into the doors. The glove box breaks, wiring is faulty, repairs are very expensive, AC compressor broke, lights always go out. It doesn't help that when I tried to have repairs done the dealership kept trying to return it to me without fixing anything or left tools in the engine.